Nappy changing a baby girl

SamsMum

Reaction score
Hi All,

Our first babe was a boy so he was pretty simple to clean up at nappy changing time. I appreciate this is a bit of a 'TMI' question, but how thorough are you when cleaning a baby girl - I would imagine a poo could get 'everywhere'!

Many thanks

xxx

Just make sure you get in all the 'folds', baby girl bits are quite chubby so you shouldn't find that the poo actually goes up into her vagina. Personally if she was that messy I'd give her a quick bath :thumbup:

I have all nephews and my friends had all boys too. I had never changed a baby girl before my own lo. The first time I did it I was worried I wouldn't do it right but you soon get the hang of it.
Wipe from front to back as you would yourself, make sure to get in all the folds be very gentle around the important areas.

Agreed, it's relatively simple, just wipe the "surface" thoroughly. Actually important to not try to clean inside the vagina, as that can introduce infection. They don't get dirty there anyway and then there is always baths for a more thorough clean. (BTW, some people recommend not using bubble bath on baby girls as it can make urine infections more likely. It's something I suffer from so we just use oil or oil baths instead)

Also, you might know this already, but newborn girls often have a small "period like" bleed in the early days. It's from the hormones they get from you during birth and nothing at all to worry about. It's just a few drops but can be scary if you don't know to expect it.

Thanks for the info Amygdala, I definitely would have freaked out if I hadn't of known - team yellow so it could go either way.

Agreed, it's relatively simple, just wipe the "surface" thoroughly. Actually important to not try to clean inside the vagina, as that can introduce infection. They don't get dirty there anyway and then there is always baths for a more thorough clean. (BTW, some people recommend not using bubble bath on baby girls as it can make urine infections more likely. It's something I suffer from so we just use oil or oil baths instead)

Also, you might know this already, but newborn girls often have a small "period like" bleed in the early days. It's from the hormones they get from you during birth and nothing at all to worry about. It's just a few drops but can be scary if you don't know to expect it.

Really? Wow that's helpful to know! I would have freaked!

I was warned about this by my MW thank goodness. My daughter had a small amount of old blood in her nappy about 3 times but as pp said, it's our hormones coming out through her.

I wouldnt know how to change a boy!

As a PP said, girls bits are quite chubby and even the messiest poop doesnt really go anywhere too invasive. A gentle wipe with some cotton wool/wipes is sufficient and if you do happen to miss anthing, a bath will finish the job!

You will soon find it totally normal and forget you were even worrying!

Thanks so much to you all - really helpful info xxx

Just remember to always wipe front to back and NEVER back to front.

Although we know this for ourselves. :)

I'm the opposite I have a girl and now I'm having a boy ( they think) I don't know how to clean that thing. Thankfully I have some time to go before baby is here.

I actually find boy bits harder to clean because of the wrinkles on the scrotum. The poop gets in those wrinkles and it takes a million wipes to get it off. Lol

Just remember to always wipe front to back and NEVER back to front.

Although we know this for ourselves. :)

I'm the opposite I have a girl and now I'm having a boy ( they think) I don't know how to clean that thing. Thankfully I have some time to go before baby is here.

Yes..was just going to say this...remember to always wipe front to back :thumbup:

My LO frequently gets poo in her vagina and inside her labia if it's a loose poo. You just have to wipe very carefully around the area and then at the end I use the corner of a wet wipe to 'float' over her vagina. This usually picks up the poo easily. Don't ever try wiping inside it or you will push poo inside.

On the odd occasion that it hasn't come out with the corner of the wet wipe, I just leave it and it has always come out on its own when I change the next nappy. Vaginas are naturally self cleaning so you shouldn't ever try to clean inside it.

It freaked me out a bit at first when I saw how the poo gets literally everywhere but you really do get used to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->