Nappy rash & other related things :)

jenny82

Reaction score
My LO has quite nappy rash at the min. Its under control though-it seems to be ok, then as soon as he does a poo it flares right back up again. Poor wee sausage is in agony when we change him :(

His poos also smell horrible, like worse than they've ever smelt (and huuuuge). So I am wondering if it is something he is eating to make them smell and also like acidic, which could be causing the nappy rash? He is eating tonnes at the minute too.

The only thing I've done differently lately is cut his formula. As of last Friday, he is now solely on cow's milk. He was having about 6oz of formula a day before that but thats finished now. Could the cow's milk be having some effect on his poops? :(

Hi hun, cow milk makes poo a bit softer & more frequent. Omar is pooing much more since we started using cow milk at 11.5 months. It settled yesterday only & he started to poo once again. As for the nappy rash & the smell, it could be teething + changing to cow milk. Omar's poo smells like vinegar. He got a mild rash recently & we used bepanthen Plus (sp?) which worked much better than normal bepanthen & sudocream. xx

Have you tried a barrier cream (ie. zinc & caster oil) for your little boy's bum?

The only way I can keep rashes at bay is to use a barrier cream at every nappy change. Nappy rash has never flared up again, as long as I use a barrier cream.

There are quite a few barrier creams on the market:

Weleda nappy change cream
Waitrose Bottom Butter
Boots own barrier cream
Asda own barrier cream

Emma has never had too much bother with nappy rash but when she has, Metanium has always worked a treat. It gets everywhere though and watch out for your clothes as it can stain!

I the same as Jane99, I use a barrier cream at every change now. It really helps keep her skin from starting to break down. She seems to have inherited my skin (very fair) which can get irritated really easily, and barrier cream is the only thing I've found which helps.

I use an organic cream called Organic Babies by The Green People. It's around the same price-range as the Burts Bees stuff (maybe a bit cheaper), you can get it in John Lewis but it's cheaper online. Cheapest I've found is at www.littlepants.co.uk. It has zinc oxide and calendula (I think) and a little bit goes a heck of a long way. Best one I've found by a mile, the standards of bepanthen, sudocrem and metanium did absolutely nothing for us at all.

Joe is exactly the same at the moment, really bad nappy rash and eating alot more than usual. I've put it down to a growth spurt and teething, but I'm worried that it's not getting any better.

We've been using sudocream but I got some Bepanthen so gonna try that today, see if it clears it up x

Thanks y'all! I have all the creams - sudo, bepanthen and metanium. They are helping but I was trying to see if the milk switchover would've caused it. We've been changing nappies very regularly too so its getting a bit better although one poop brings us right back to square one :/

They really are the worst poops at the minute! I didn't realise they would get as bad as this!

Hi there
Bryce got horrible diarhea from cows milk, whole cows milk. He never did get a nappy rash. Then all of a sudden 2 weeks ago hes got this horrible rash. I was told its a yeast infection which can cause softer smellier poo and brings on a rash and it can flare up once the child poops. The yeast rash is raised and pinky red. Bryces yeast rash is under control altho a very slight color to his bottom but it flares up the worst with his poops. I also stopped his milk intake 2 months ago and that stopped the runny poops. Maybe do a trial run for about 5 consecutive days of only formula and see fromt hat if the rash goes away? Usually if its an allergy to the milk you will see a massive difference. I hate stages with babies and once they are out of diapers it is usually better. :) Hang in there.

If you do the trial run of no more cows milk and notice the rash to be getting better you can bring cows milk back into his diet, but only do 3/4 formula and 1/4 cows milk for a week or so and then increase the cows milk to 1/3 cows milk and 2/3 formula, then go to half and half etc...I hope something works for you :)

I the same as Jane99, I use a barrier cream at every change now. It really helps keep her skin from starting to break down. She seems to have inherited my skin (very fair) which can get irritated really easily, and barrier cream is the only thing I've found which helps.

I use an organic cream called Organic Babies by The Green People. It's around the same price-range as the Burts Bees stuff (maybe a bit cheaper), you can get it in John Lewis but it's cheaper online. Cheapest I've found is at www.littlepants.co.uk. It has zinc oxide and calendula (I think) and a little bit goes a heck of a long way. Best one I've found by a mile, the standards of bepanthen, sudocrem and metanium did absolutely nothing for us at all.

I will check out The Green People, thanks. I am conscious of using chemicals & like to use as natural as possible. Hence why I use Weleda & Waitrose own baby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->