Natal Hypnotherapy

caz_hills

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

I'm a first time Mum and have been using the natal hypnotherapy CD's since about week 16 of my pregnancy. I'm finding them very relaxing and that they help me to chill out but I've obivously no idea if they are helping for the birth!

I've also read the hypnobirthing book and have the rainbow relaxation CD so I've listened to that a few times as well and I've practiced the breathing techniques too.

Has anyone used the CD's for natal hypnotherapy and what was your birth experience? I was quite an anxious person before I got pregnant and whether it's the hormones or the CD's, I've become calmer I think (and I hope!) but wondered if there was anyone who could let me know how it has worked in practice?

Thanks.:thumbup:

I had hypnobirthing classes and was given the natal cd.

I found it great for relaxing whilst pregnant, being mentally prepared for the birth and helped with breathing techniques.

I'm a person who always likes to have everything planned, hate surprises and worried regarding the 'unknown' of the birth

When my waters went I straight away went into automatic pilot and used the breathing and relaxation to help keep me in a positive mental attitude. I got to 10cm with only tens machine and gas & air and strongly believe it was due to the help of my relaxation preparation.

I also downloaded a spa music album to use in conjunction with the natal cd to lengthen my relaxation periods which I still listen to now as I've now seen the benefits of relaxation and positive clear thinking

Wishing you a happy and healthy 9 months

Hi

I'm sure I replied to you last night but my post isn't here so I'll send it again.

I used the Natal Hypnotherapy cds throughout my pregnancy and birth with DD2 and can't rate them highly enough.

I did the pregnancy relaxation one until 30 weeks of pregnancy 3-5 times a week then moved onto the birth preparation one. I listened to that one as much as I could, making sure for the last 3 weeks I listened to it every night. I also inhaled lavender oil which I had on a hanky next to me while I listened to the cd.

When I went into labour with DD2 I was fine breathing through contractions and doing the normal day stuff until about 7.10pm when I decided I'd like to put my birth music on and start inhaling my lavender, which I did as well as burning a special labour blend of oils.

I honestly feel the hypnotherapy was absolutely amazing, it helped me have the most amazing experience of my life - a home birth with my DD2. You can read my birth story if you click on the link in my signature, but when I felt a contraction coming on I'd lean over the back of my swivel armchair, close my eyes and rock back and forth whilst concentrating on the music and saying 3-2-1 RELAX in my own head. It absolutely made such a difference, I wouldn't say the contractions were painful at all, I just felt the pressure of baby moving down.

When the contraction eased I slowly came out of my "trance" then just rocked from side to side whilst feeling completely back to normal and awake if you know what I mean.

I lent my friend my cds to copy and she's been doing them during her pregnancy (she's 35+4 weeks now) and has said she's found them fantastic as well. She has GBS and high BMI so she's going to the main maternity unit but she's hoping to still use the hypnotherapy while she's there.

xx

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for your posts and for your positive stories! It has really made me feel that it could work for me. I am doing the CD's but need to increase the frequency I think - sometimes though I'm unsure that they are working so I guess I have to keep the faith that it is possible as you all had wonderful birthing experiences!

Thanks for taking the time to respond to me, I really appreciate it.
Caroline

Hi everyone,

Sorry for another question about the natal hypnotherapy CD's. As my birth date is getting closer, I'm doing the CD's every day and really finding that they are relaxing me. But how do I know that they will work on the day?! I have always been a worrier and quite anxious and really don't want to panic once labour starts. Did you have any 'vibes' that the CD's would work as you both had such successful births using the CD's?

Thanks,
Caroline

Once in labour I went into automatic pilot and just went with the flow there was no panic or adrenaline rush it was just like a switch in my mind that said "focus"

Concentrate on your deep breathing, think of key things that make you relaxed ( do you like to be touched? If so practice with birthing partner back rubs). Tell birthing partner of things that make you happy and relaxed so they can be recalled during the birth.

For now when listening to the cd try and clear your mind and concentrate on the words and your breathing, deep slow breaths.

Before the birth I also compiled some relaxation spa music which also was nice to relax too and could then use during the labour as you won't want to listen to the same tracks continuously.

Think positive and relax physically and mentally. Your body will know what to do :hugs:
Please let me know once lo arrives

I kept telling myself I will be lovely and relaxed, the birth will go exactly as planned, there will be no panic and I will control any pain I feel by turning down my pain dial.

When I wasn't listening to the cds (ie during the day) I would "test" the hypnotherapy and would suddenly say in my head "3-2-1-RELAX" with my eyes closed. Instantly I would feel myself dropping shoulders, relaxing and by the time I got to the word "relax" I would feel almost in a hypnotic state, I imagine what it feels like to be stoned kind of thing. Like trancey, floaty.

TMI but I had bad constipation when pregnant and would use the breathing techniques whilst trying to go to the loo and it worked to relax me.

I just had confidence in myself and the hypnotherapy that it would work. I visualised how I wanted my birth to be - beautifully calm and steadily progressing in a positive way, then eventually giving birth calmly and gently.

I think you have to really believe it will work, if you have confidence/faith in it then it will work.

xx

Thanks for your advice and for your support - honestly I do appreciate it.

I am doing the CD's every day now plus a seperate session on my own with birthing music to learn how to relax myself. I hope it's working and have confidence that it will help me through the labour.

Thanks again, I'll post once baby is born to let you know how we got on!

I hope you don't mind me coming in. I am having my first baby and I am learning Hypnobirthing which sounds similiar to what you ladies are talking about. It's still a little while before I have my baby so I can't say whether it worked in practice for me yet as I haven't got to the birth bit yet!

but I am abit of a worrier to like the OP. I have had problems with anxiety and panic attacks in the past and would be grateful of some support and reassurance aswell as sharing last minute wobbles and experiences with you ladies.

xx

Samantha675 I've got the Natal Hypnotherapy set of 3 cds. Pregnancy relaxation, birth preparation (birth centre birth but the only difference between bc cd and hb cd is that the bc one talks about relaxing during the journey to the centre) and birth music. They were absolutely brilliant for me and if you read my birth story in my sig you can see how well it worked :happydance:

Homeybee88x As far as I know the Hypnobirthing one is American whereas the Natal Hypnotherapy one is English. I too had some wobbles a couple of weeks before my EDD because it dawned on me that omg will it really work and will I really be ok staying at home?! I was indeed fine and when it came to it I was actually extremely relaxed and calm right from beginning to end. You can read my story in my sig but basically I only had the birth music on for the last 1hr and 45 mins but reciting the 3-2-1-RELAX in my head right from the beginning was amazing :happydance:

xx

What CDs do you ladies have?

Hi Samantha, I have the natal hypnotherapy CD's and also borrowed the rainbow relaxation and birth affirmations CD (hypnobirthing) from a friend as I have the book by Marie Mongan. The natal CD's are about £40 for 4 (including one for weeks up to 32, one for effective birth preparation weeks 32 - delivery, music for labour and a postnatal one as well). I have loved them and have found them really relaxing. I also like the hynobirthing ones for variety and it complements the book as well. I've been listening to them every day since I started maternity leave but before then at least 2-3 times per week from about 18 weeks.

Hope this helps! x

I hope you don't mind me coming in. I am having my first baby and I am learning Hypnobirthing which sounds similiar to what you ladies are talking about. It's still a little while before I have my baby so I can't say whether it worked in practice for me yet as I haven't got to the birth bit yet!

but I am abit of a worrier to like the OP. I have had problems with anxiety and panic attacks in the past and would be grateful of some support and reassurance aswell as sharing last minute wobbles and experiences with you ladies.

xx

Hi, I haven't had my birth yet either so I also can't say whether they are working but thought I'd share a little bit about how I've got on with them so far. I have been listening to the natal CD's 2-3 times per week since about 17 weeks and now every day when I can. I've also started to practice relaxation without the CD's or just with the birthing music to try to do it on my own for the labour. It seems to work.

I was a bit skeptical at first but I thought that similar to you by the sounds of things, I too am a worrier and an anxious person and before I got pregnant was already worried about birthing! But since I got pregnant and I do think thanks to the CD's as well I haven't worried about it really apart from rare odd moments. I don't know if they are 'working' but I find the CD's really chill me out, I am actually excited about giving birth and meeting my little one rather than being petrified which I was before I got pregnant. Also, I'm struggling to sleep now at 39 weeks and sometimes when I'm half asleep I hear the music from the CD's in my mind and I do some of the relaxation exercises and it gets me back off to sleep so I do think they help. The ladies on here have said to me that you need to believe in it and I am trying to and I have some evidence for me that it's helping.

I'll let you know and update this post once baby decides to arrive!

Sorry for my long reply but your post really struck a cord with me. Good luck and I hope this helps. x

Hi, I haven't had my birth yet either so I also can't say whether they are working but thought I'd share a little bit about how I've got on with them so far. I have been listening to the natal CD's 2-3 times per week since about 17 weeks and now every day when I can. I've also started to practice relaxation without the CD's or just with the birthing music to try to do it on my own for the labour. It seems to work.

I was a bit skeptical at first but I thought that similar to you by the sounds of things, I too am a worrier and an anxious person and before I got pregnant was already worried about birthing! But since I got pregnant and I do think thanks to the CD's as well I haven't worried about it really apart from rare odd moments. I don't know if they are 'working' but I find the CD's really chill me out, I am actually excited about giving birth and meeting my little one rather than being petrified which I was before I got pregnant. Also, I'm struggling to sleep now at 39 weeks and sometimes when I'm half asleep I hear the music from the CD's in my mind and I do some of the relaxation exercises and it gets me back off to sleep so I do think they help. The ladies on here have said to me that you need to believe in it and I am trying to and I have some evidence for me that it's helping.

I'll let you know and update this post once baby decides to arrive!

Sorry for my long reply but your post really struck a cord with me. Good luck and I hope this helps. x

Hi Caz_hills

Don't be sorry about the long post. also mine probably will be :haha:
I'm glad someone wants to talk to me :happydance:

I have only got the 1 hypnobirthing CD which has the rainbow relaxation on it and birth affirmations. but I have the marie mongan book to which I have read and I have got a lady coming to teach me hypnobirthing which I find helps with the "am I doing this right" feeling :haha:

I have been trying to listen to the CD before bed every 2 or 3 days from about 26 weeks and keep thinking that because I dont actually "listen" to it (because It generally makes me fall asleep like you) I worry its not going in but I keep trying to remind myself that it's still going into my subconsious. It must be working though as I have found that recently whenever I think about the birth I feel excited, confident and prepared about it and before I just felt panic!! so something must be going in!

I think your right about having to believe in it for it to work and the theory seems to make perfect sense to me so I can't see why It wont work but obviously for something like this to work you need to have confidence in yourself aswell as the concept for it to work fully.
which I think maybe where we will struggle.
or if you are like me which you sound like you are you only THINK you'll struggle but actually DON'T struggle in the slightest because
1. you have practiced so much harder because your worried you can't do it and then afterwards you realise
2. you're so much stronger than you give yourself credit for and wonder why you didn't have confidence in yourself to begin with!
if that makes sense.

Can't wait to hear about your birth experience.
Not long to go now.

xx :hugs:

Thanks for your post Honeybee. I agree - I have been doing the CD every day now plus I've got my OH to listen to it with me, plsu my own sessions. Oh and reading the Marie Mongan book! So hopefully our bodies are far more prepared than we think they are.

I am quite excited about the birth and literally a year ago I was terrified and I wasn't even pregnant! So I do hope it will go smoothly and that I can incorporate some of the learnings into the labour.

I will definately post once I've had the baby - in the next 3 weeks - about how I've got on to share the experience. In the meantime though I hope all goes well for you and that your pregnancy continues to go smoothly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->