natural birth at military hospital

oread

Reaction score
I know this probably varies a lot by country, and maybe even by hospital but here's the deal: my husband is in the Navy here in San Diego so I have no choice in what hospital I go to or what doctor I am going to get. Luckily, I do think Balboa Hospital is great and I really like the prenatal care I am getting from nurse midwives.

However, when I'm actually in labor I will go in to the hospital and the doctor and nurses I get depends entirely upon who happens to be working that shift. It will not be anyone who gave me prenatal care, and I will not have met any of them before. I am under the impression that almost everyone there gets an epidural. I know it is my choice, but since these are going to be people I don't know and that I haven't discussed my preferences with I think I'm going to be pressured a lot more to get painkillers.

Does anyone have any advice or experience in a similar situation? My husband, mom, and sister should hopefully be there and they know that I want to do a natural birth and they are all very supportive of that. But I think taking the painkillers will be a lot more tempting if the medical team keeps suggesting them to me and I'm worried that without the support of the doctors and nurses I may change my mind when I'm in actual pain.

I would have whoever is there with you explain to the nurses/drs that you do not wish to be offered an epidural or any drugs. Let them know that you would really like to have a natural birth and if you change your mind that you will ask for the drugs yourself but do not want to be offered them.

I gave birth in northern SD @ Tri-city Hospital before I had tricare but my husband now is Army. For me I did not know the nurses at the hospital when I delivered and my dr came in to check on me maybe 2 or 3 times and that was it. I had about one nurse at a time I think and they only changed during shifts so you shouldn't have a ton of nurses. More than likely you will have one or two nurses assigned to you and unless you are in labor through a shift change they will stick with you. I would just explain to the nurse when you first get there, or have your family members do it, and then you should hopefully not have any problems.

Good Luck :flower:

It will be really important that your birth partners are strong advocates for you. I think a written birth plan would be a good idea too. Some emphasis on them not suggesting pain relief to you in there - some thing like 'Please do not suggest pain relief to me. Please do not pressurize me or my birth partners in to accepting pain relief. We have discussed this in great detail and my partners are aware of my wishes. Either my birth partners or myself will ask if I require pain relief'.

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->