"Natural" C-Section

SLCMommy

Reaction score
Hey Everyone. I am pregnant, and due 7/13/2011. I know I will get a C-Section because I've had three prior c-sections. Because I feel like I'd really like to be more pro-active in my birthing, I am thinking about somehow talking to my doctor about "natural" c-sections. It is starting to gain some popularity in the UK.

* Doctor takes child's head out, cleans up the area (wipe blood away), lower the curtain and than the woman pulls herself up with the help of her partner lifting her shoulders, and the stomach muscles & contractions slowly push baby out, while doctor has their hands on the baby at all times.

* After the birth, baby is than laid on the mother's chest, and the cord is not clamped right away. Once baby is laid on mothers chest, the doctor puts on the clamps, and daddy is able to "cut" the cord - just like in vaginal births.

* Assuming that baby is fine, all assessments are done with baby is on mother's chest.

*Once mother is transferred from surgery table to more comfy bed, she, along with baby go to the recovery area where she can nurse baby right away.

I would like to do something like this, but I know getting my doctor to actually do all of that probably won't happen.

What I would like the most is for the baby to be delayed first bath until after I've had the chance to hold him/her in my own hospital room & for my recovery time in the recovery to be short. I've been excellent with my past three c-sections & I know my body. If I get there and I need extra time in recovery, I wouldn't be shy to tell a nurse. I would just hate to waste any time... and I really hate having to lay on my back for 30 minutes like one hospital nurse made me do after surgery (she got mad at me for getting up - saying I could get a massive headache from my spinal...but after 10 minutes I was ready to have my baby wheeled in).....and it also would be nice if baby could be in recovery with me, even if that meant he/she was under a warmer.

Do you think those requests are even remotely possible for here in the USA?

I think you just have to talk to your care provider, and see what they are willing to do. If they won't do what you want, keep looking for a different doctor.

I seriously doubt a dr in the US will do this. We live in a sue happy country and the risk would be too great for them to want to take that chance. Since it is a major surgery and the uterus is so very vascular I would think there would be bleeding concerns.

No harm is asking or trying to find one that will do things that way, theyre sometimes called gentle CS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->