Natural Progesterone Cream Question!!!

S_Dowd

LTTTC #1
Reaction score
Okay ladies here's the deal.

I had extensive bloodwork done to find out why I'm not getting pregnant (we've been trying for 2 years) And here is what we found out:

I have very slight insulin resistance
I have high cortisol levels
Very low vitamin D levels (in the 30's when it should be between 50 and 60!)
And absolutely no progesterone on CD 21

I had not ovulated at that point... I never ovulate before CD 21 and it has been as late as CD 36, before.

My nurse practitioner prescribed natural progesterone cream and she had me take 1/2 gram CD7-14 and 1 gram on CD 15-28 for my first cycle. That resulted in me starting my period on CD 21.

So then she changed it and had me take 1/2 gram on CD 7-14 1 gram on CD 15-20 and 1 1/2 grams on CD 21-28. The same thing happened... I started spotting on CD 20, I upped my doseage on CD 21, but I still started my period.

This cycle she wants me to take 1/2 gram CD 7-10 1 gram on CD 11-20 and 1 1/2 grams on CD 21-28.

I'm afraid that taking it that early is keeping me from ovulating, but she says that since my level is 0, taking a small amount will help me ovulate. I'm so confused because everywhere I read says to take it after ovulation.

Is she trying to force me to ovulate earlier? That would be nice, but I'm scared this is just working like BC pills. I'd appreciate some advice... plus I'm sick of the 21 day cycles! DH had to go buy me pads and tampons because I ran out!!! I'm used to cycles 33-48 days long... not 21! What do you guys think???

My cycles were super irregular, i didn't have AF just random spotting when ever and i didn't ovulate for 8 months. So i started using NPC, it finally gave me my AF after 18 days using it - Then i decided to do shut down method ( 3weeks on it , 1 week off). I took 60mg and 40mg a day and i still ovulated and i have been ovulating since then on my own with no help. You probably need much bigger dose to not ovulate. You should try to do what your doc told you, try one cycle and if that dose stops you from ovulating then lower your dose you use before O.

Oh i just noticed you gave up on npc ... Maybe you should have took it just after O, taking before O probably caused YOU not O ...

To my knowledge progesterone cream will stop you ovulating, I dont know if you are using less will be ok, perhaps she is correct and a small amount will raise your progesterone levels but not so much that it tricks your body into thinking ovulation has already occurred and brings on a bleed.

I'm using 20-1 cream which is Progesterone cream with added Estrogen, I have PCOS and long cycles, I was going to wait to ovulate (or see if I ovulate) but I thought I'd just start using it to bring on a period and figured for the next cycle it would do me good. So I started it last month, on the 4th day I ovulated (started getting signs of ovulation the day after starting the cream) so I was really really shocked, so after doing some reading found that estrogen is released before ovulation to mature the follicle and release an egg, so it would seem because I opted for the cream with added estrogen (not even sure why I went for that one but glad I did) it actually helped me ovulate! Was over the moon, and I'm now dpo 7 and waiting to test.

I know alot of women on progesterone cream and it does definitely stop you ovulating if used too early, but I really don't know what using a smaller amount will do, I know the ladies from my pcos group on facebook when they use it first time tend to use about a 1/4 of a teaspoon and then lower that to 1/8. I'm using 1/8 of my cream and so far so good.

You need to keep on with the cream because you will find maybe it will stop you ovulating this month but after a few months your body will start working. One of the ladies I know when she started on the cream she hadn't had a period in a year, I think she was using it for 3 or 4 months and then went on holiday at the time she was supposed to start on it again but had forgotten it, so she had no choice but to have a cycle without the cream and she ovulated and had a 27 day cycle! She was totally amazed.

If you do keep on with the cream then rememember if you fall pregnant you need to carry on using the cream til you are at least 12 weeks as if you stop the drop in progesterone levels could cause a mc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->