Natural Red Heads- Soon to be Mommies?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by Essence, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Essence

Essence Due March 10, 2010!!!

Is anyone else out there a natural red head? I am! :)

What color of hair does your OH have?
    Any 'hair color' hopes for the future babe?
    Oh and I must ask- stretch marks, how are your bumps looking?

My Hubby has blonde hair and at first I always joked that the baby better have his hair color. I guess growing up a red head, all the little things built up and I used to joke that it was a curse! But now I have come around and don't care what color of hair he/she is born with, as long as they have hubbies eyes, hehehe.
    As for stretch marks.. well my nickname for hubby has always been "Tiger" and his nickname for me is "Kitten" so with these massive stretch marks that have completely covered my pale bump, I have told him, " I'm growing up and will be a big Tiger soon, too!" Hehe. They really do look like tiger stripes!

2. Zarababy1

Zarababy1 4 boys. TTC #5

im a natural red head but my oh has dark hair, charlie was born with very dark hair but then it went light its still very much brown tho! i imagen number 2 will be the same! but u never know!

3. QuintinsMommy

QuintinsMommy Well-Known Member

I'm not a redhead but my friend is, and her OH had blond and the baby ended up with red hair.:)
    I love red headed babies so cute!

4. rwhite

rwhite Mum to Lachie and Clem

I don't have red hair, but I carry the gene as some of my extended family have red hair. But my OH has red hair! :) He is really hoping for our little guy to be redheaded too, and to be honest that's what I'm expecting! :haha: If he comes out with my brown hair, I'm going to be a bit shocked hehe.

I don't know what the stigma is about redheads anyway :shrug: But it is fun to joke around about baby being a ginger ninja!

5. Emskins

Emskins Well-Known Member

I am not a red head but one of my sisters is and my OH's brothers is as well, my niece is also a redhead but her mum-my other sister is dark like me so who knows what colourings this little one will have

6. mrsadair

mrsadair Pregnant with #1

i'm a redhead naturally, well i was when i was little, haven't seen my natural hair color since i was 13 lol but i'd assume it's still a reddish tint... not that beautiful red color but still reddish... my DH has black hair. but HIS mom has natural red hair... so there is no telling what we're going to end up with xD

i don't have stretchmarks on my stomach (yet) but i have them on my boobs and legs and hips really badly. the ones of my boobs have already started to fade from a dark purple to a pinkish color. my MIL tells me that people with very pale skin look better after stretchmarks because they fade and blend in... idk, she had 5 kids and has NONE lol.

7. aussiemum

aussiemum Mother of 4 boys

i am red head and OH is dark brown. he has won out with 2, and one has sandy brown hair. I think i am lucky as I really don't want a baby with red hair ( i too know the teasing). But if it happens then it happens

8. ShellysBelly

ShellysBelly Well-Known Member

I'm a red head (and proud!). Hubby is light brown, don't mind what colour the little guy has as both shades are nice.

My bumpy has no stretchies (yet) as I've been dosing with bio oil. I do get them though normally so it's convinced me biooil works! I am a bit spotty and the red spots stand out a mile on my whiter than white skin!

9. Helabela

Helabela Mum to Sophie and ttc

my hubby has strawberry blonde hair, my hair was blonde when growing up but has darkened to an ash blond now, so im guessing Sophie will have gorgeous strawberry blonde hair. as for stretch marks, well, i dont have any yet that were not already there before!! still early days though :)

10. glitterbug

glitterbug Mum with growing tum

I'm a natural red head and went through hell growing up, in fact even now I get the occasional comments from old school friends. OH has dark brown hair, but was a blondie when he was a baby.
    Saying that though, my dad is blonde and my mum a brunette so not sure where i got mine from!!!

Not sure what colour hair my child will have, but my SIL has known me since primary school, and said the other day how glad she was that none of her children were born with ginger hair...OH just looked at me and smiled. We both get the impression she doesn't class my dark(ish) red hair as ginger!! She has no idea she is offending me, but says that kind of stuff quite a lot! :rofl:

Stretch marks, no not yet, although I have them at the top of my legs and hips from teenage years. I always assumed I would get them but haven't yet. I use bio oil and sanctuary mum and bump stuff when I remember and my skin still feels pretty elastic so far.. still a few weeks to go though!!! xxx

11. ttcbabyno.1

ttcbabyno.1 Due Date 25th December

I'm a natural red-head and my husband has dark hair. (although pics of him as a child he had an aurburn stage and a snowy white one before his hair settled to v dark brown) his shaving stubble is aurburn and brown tho!! LOL We're not too worried about what colour hair the baby has.... and not too long to wait and see (due next wk!)

As for the stretch marks - from my teenage puberty years i have alot on my hips, boobs, and inner thighs... but they have gone to a silvery white now and bearly noticable (compared to friends who can suntan and stretchies don't tan so stand out a mile - one bonus to pale skin i suppose). Since becoming pregnant i've used bio oil in the morning (huge amounts - been through 3 large bottles) and palmers cocoa butter for pregnancy in the evenings.... nothing stopped them coming but i believe they could have been alot worse. I have them only on my tummy from my belly button down under my bump. They're deep, and sore but not as red/purple as i remember them being all those years ago! I've continued with the bio oil/palmers routine in the hope they'll fade as the others have done.

12. Beautywithin

Beautywithin Mummy of two

Im a redhead, its got a lot more dark as iv got older, my daughters dad, had black hair, but had ginger flicks and a beard, so i was sure my lil girl would be born a redhead, but she has lovely mousey blondey/brown hair

My OH im with now, has blonde hair.. and everyone keeps saying there is more of a chance my baby will have redhair, it dont really matter what the hair colour, but girls can defo pull off the redhead look more then boys can

They say to make a redhead, both you and your OH need to be carrying the gene, so even if in your OH's family there isnt a redhead ( he could still be carrying the gene without noing )

so i guess these are the colours it could be

Blonde
    ash blonde
    strawberry blonde
    Red

As for stretch marks i got them terrible with my daughter, bright red, and they just looked gross, im very very very pale, and lucky i havent got any new ones yet x

13. Sekhmet

Sekhmet First-time mum

The stigma against redheads doesn't really exist in the US (I'm guessing the same to be true in Canada, but I don't know for sure). There is a South Park episode about 'gingers,' and there is that saying 'I'll beat you like a red-headed stepchild', but other than those things there just isn't much. There certainly is nothing like the level of teasing that redheaded kids (and adults) apparently experience in the UK.

When I moved here, I was utterly shocked to learn of the anti-redhead sentiment so prevalent in the UK. A lot of women in the US would love to have red hair, a lot dye their hair red, etc. I was strawberry-blonde growing up, and my hair color was my favorite (physical) thing about myself; it darkened to more of a dark blonde in my 20s, although still has some reddish highlights.

There is some auburn/brownish-red on DH's side, so it's possible our baby girl could be a redhead. I rather expect her to have dark hair like DH, though.

14. lisaboo79

lisaboo79 Well-Known Member

this thread has amused me, i have always had dark red hair, its never changed its the same as when i see it in photos when i was little, but the ginger gene is in the family, my fella has dark brown hair but was blonde as a kid so i think red hair is quite likely, as far as we know we are having a boy, if it was a girl i did want to call her amber! so if she was red headed that may have been a bit unfair! not long until we find out though!

15. Phexia

Phexia Sort of ttc nr. 4

I'm a natural red head, but more like "ginger-light" since it's not very dark and I'm not covered in freckles. I have them but they're small and light especially in the winter. My OH has dark brown hair.

Our older daughter has very light red hair, not sure if it's called strawberry blonde :shrug: She also has my light skin tone. My younger has her fathers hair and skin tone. It's pretty funny how it's completely divided. We can't wait to see what the third girl will look like :D Of course I'm hoping for a red head :haha:

16. amerikiwi

amerikiwi Mum of 2

I'm a natural red-head and am shocked to hear of the teasing those in the UK went through. I grew up in the US and have always been told by strangers on the street how beautiful the red hair is. On frequent occasions I've been at a hair salon and had people ask to have their hair dyed my colour. I have never had any teasing as a result of my hair. Now I live in New Zealand and have had equally positive responses on the red.

I hope bubs gets the red! DH has brown hair and although he doesn't have any known rellies with red, he has Irish roots so I"m sure there's some red genes somewhere there.

17. Phexia

Phexia Sort of ttc nr. 4

I agree. I was never teased because of my hair colour. In fact people always tell me how pretty my hair is and I should never ever dye it.

18. rwhite

rwhite Mum to Lachie and Clem

Really? :flower: Your hair colour must be a beautiful shade of red, as I've found that a lot of Kiwis seem to be quite rude about red hair. Well, not exactly rude but there's a fair amount of teasing, especially for kids at school! I've told OH that at least he will be there to comfort our little guy if he does happen to have red hair, as he's been through that himself :lol: x

19. tiggercats

tiggercats Guest

I'm a natural redhead and suffered from terrible teasing all through school. As an adult people love it, but as a child it was horrible. My OH had some red ish bits in his hair (when he let it get long enough to notice) so i guess my LO will be a red head as well, I just hope s/he has a better time at school than I did.

As for stretch marks, so far none from pregnancy (st ives collagen elastin daily) I have teenage ones on my thighs :(

20. mrskx0x0

mrskx0x0 Scarlett's Mummy

Mine is red and I my Dad's sister's is red and so is my Mum's brother so I got a double whammy of the red gene :rofl: OHs in dark brown and no one in his entire family has red hair so I don't think our LO will be a red head. As for the stretchies.... well I don;t consider them that bad but tbh they couldn't be much worse :rofl: I don't have anymore than at 20 weeks but they have got longer if that makes sense? I don't care- they will fade and if it means baby is getting big and strong then that's good.