'Natural' thiungs to help with LO's cold?

Babyshambelle

Olivia's mum & pregnant!
Reaction score
Right,

Olivia is ill :cry:

Shes crying ALL the time, won't settle, and my mummy instinct is telling me that she is really miserable. She has a cough and keeps ramming her fists and thumb into her mouth and sucking them in big massive slurps. She rams them so far into her mouth that she keep gagging on them :cry: She is dribbling a bit more that usual and is just so so so unhappy.

Letting her suck on me helps, and obviously I will give her some calpol if she gets a high temperature but i wondered if there is anything else i can do?xxxx

Oh I'm sorry to hear your precious LO is poorly :-( I don't have any advice but didn't want to read and run. I hope she gets better soon hun xxxx :hugs:

It sounds like teething..maybe an amber necklace

For colds though we use humidifiers, honey for cough (but she needs to be 12mo or older for that), sleeping elevated. We try and stay away from meds as much as possible but if they have a fever of 102 or higher we will give some

Babys can teeth at any age hun, if you think it could be this id definately recommend an amber teething necklace and a teething ring from the freezer to chew on !
Otherwise for colds we used to sit with Flo by a hot bath with honey and lemon in just to get rid of all the nasty phlemmyness that used to build up as theyre to little to cough it all up :(

I have just ordered an amber necklace - thanks girls :hugs:

Also...Olivia isn't at the age where she knows to hold something to her mouth like a teething ring...If I put one in the freezer and held it near her mouth for her would that be Ok?

And with the gagging on her fingers thing - am I just being cruel and selfish for not giving her a dummy? She surely wouldn't gag on a dummy like she does with the fingers...and it really upsets her when she gags on them :cry:

aww poor little thing...if you think she could be teething and dont wanna give her a traditional dummy why not try a teether dummy ?? looks like a gum shield crossed with a dummy ..mmight be wort a try .....hope she's feeling bettersoon :hugs:

sara

xxxxx

Yeah you can hold it for her....you can also do a wash cloth in the freezer...that would be easier for her to hold. But def not too young, Landon got his first 2 teeth at 3mo

Give her a cool weet cloth to suck on... whether she is teething or just a bit hot and under the weather, the cool cloth will help cool her down a bit. If she has a bit of a fever then you can try not to have too much clothing on her too, a diaper shirt is good and use blankets instead.

If she gets a runny nose you can use saline drops. I dont consider them medical... lol...

Even if you gave her a dummy, you may find that she prefers her fingers anyway :)

Oooh...quick update on this thread...

I got my (her!) amber necklace at the start of the week and it seems to be doing *something*! She seems less grumpy, and is far easier to settle. The fingers have still been going into the chops, but with much less force than before! I think its fab! xxx

glad she is doing better!, my amber necklace came today and i think i see a difference already with zack!

At first I thought it was psychological with me cos I knew she had it on. Then my OH came in from work last night and said how she seems much better and he didn't even know she had the necklace (cos it dangles so far down her little neck!). Would def recommend it to anyone! xx

Thats so good to hear she's feeling better :hugs: Alice has been the same for the past 4 days and I think she's teething too :( Though I have heard teething means the teeth are moving in their gums but may not cut through for months. Alice wears her amber necklace and it seems to help but I also got some homeopathic teething tablets that do help her relax and be able to sleep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->