Naughty after going to MIL's.

Celesse

Reaction score
On Saturday LO went to MIL's house for the day, which we were very greatful for as it gave us a chance to do a lot around the house. However when she got back she was pretty naughty and this carried on on Sunday. Lots more throwing of stuff (including food), tantrums and finding herself funny for behaviour she would normally know isn't acceptable. We have been having issues with sleeping anyway, but yesterday was horrible with LO refusing to settle and becoming violent at both nap time and bed time. OH finally got her settled for sleep at almost midnight.

When we've been round at MIL's with LO, she seems to laugh at most things that LO does. Example, if LO throws a toy MIL pretends to copy her in a dramatic funny way and laugh and make it a big fun deal. Generally MIL makes everything hyper and exciting and OTT, whilst at the same time ignoring or laughing at unacceptable behaviuor.

I'm gettin very worried as MIL is meant to be looking after LO when I'm in labour and it would be very unfair on LO if she has to be told off on the first day her baby brother is at home because her behaviuor is as bad as it has been yesterday.

Does anyone else find thier little angels return as little monsters from visiting certain people?

I think it's more a case of LO pushing boundaries with you after being away from you, regardless of who she stays with. Madeline can be like this after a stay with MIL, but also after nursery - I think it's more of a rebellion/boundary test after being without you, sort of getting your attention as they know you haven't been there, if that makes sense.

You could always have a quick word with MIL, and just mention that she is testing you after visiting, and could she make sure she still follows the rules etc while she's with her.

my son is the same he gets grumpy with me for a few days after! i always feel hes trying to punish me for leaving him but its prob a conicedance

Daniel is the same after coming back from my in-laws. We managed to pin=point some of the behaviour down to what they were giving him to eat/drink so we had to be clear about what he could and couldn't eat.
Also they allow him to get away with things that are a big no-no in our house and no matter how many times we have told them this they still let him do it.

I have to say that as he's been getting older he has been getting better and isn't quite so hyped up once we get home.

Yes! We get told ds was an angel then he spents the next few hours being a nightmare. Happens sometimes when he comes home from nursery [i think this is because he is tired] and sometimes when a relative has been looking after him.

It got to the point where I said it wasn't worth getting him babysat because of how bad he was when he got home! Thankfully its getting better [he's 3 now] but it still happens sometimes, usually when he is very tired.

It wasn't to the same extent, but Poppy started shouting "NO" at me and pointing her finger in my face at the same time. I figured out it was because the MIL does this so I asked her to stop! I'd have a word with her. Explain it's not acceptable and if she doesn't wise up she won't be minding her anymore!

No, we are lucky -MIL does exactly what we say.

Personally I would have a word with MIL (or get your OH to do it) and explain that your LO is getting confused by inconsistent discipline and you would like to try and make things consistent. This is assuming that your MIL is receptive. Otherwise, if this is a big issue, have you alternative childcare?

QT

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->