Nausea all day long- can doctor prescribe anything?

BellesMummy

Mummy of 3
Reaction score
I have not been sick at all but have come very close! I can eat but only certain food and after eating it gives me relief but not for long then the nausea is back!
This week hubby is off work so am able to rest a little but next week it's back to work and school and I don't know how I am going to cope!!
Is there anything the doctor could give me or is it a waste of time making an appointment?
This is my third baby and I never had it this bad with my first two!

My doctor gave me tablets, but I was being sick several times a day. Some doctors will prescribe some for nausea but others will just say to ride it out so I'd definitely suggest trying, especially if it's effecting eating & drinking x

They'll be reluctant if you aren't being sick, and tbh I wouldn't take anything unless I was being constantly sick- drs main concern is dehydration due to vomiting.

Have you tried the travel sickness bands you can get from a pharmacy or boots? Could be worth a try before medication. Loraloo is right, some doctors won't sympathise enough to give meds unless there's a danger. Also if your doctor is nice enough, some anti sickness meds can make you feel tired and poorly. My first lot of meds made me feel terrible and it was only when I was admitted to hospital with dehydration that the hospital found a mix that did work for me.

Have you tried the travel sickness bands you can get from a pharmacy or boots? Could be worth a try before medication. Loraloo is right, some doctors won't sympathise enough to give meds unless there's a danger. Also if your doctor is nice enough, some anti sickness meds can make you feel tired and poorly. My first lot of meds made me feel terrible and it was only when I was admitted to hospital with dehydration that the hospital found a mix that did work for me.

I've tried everything! Travel bands, ginger biscuits, ginger tea, peppermint tea, ect.
Just had enough of feeling so crap! Got an appointment at 11 so see what they say!

Hope they can sort you out :) it's not nice feeling so crap, especially when you already have kids to look after!

Depends on the doctor, but you can ask about Emetrol it's over the counter and helps with nausea. I was also prescribed Dramamine too used for motion sickness.

They won't give anything over the counter in pregnancy without a prescription in the uk.

I have been prescribed cyclizine, travel sickness tablets. Give them a go! :thumbup:

I've had the same thing, and the Dr. told me 50 mg of vitamin B6 taken twice daily (no matter if you are nauseous or not) + Unisom (US brand sleep aid--only to use if it's terrible at night).

I'll tell you, it's relieved it a little bit--I'm not nauseous all day like before, and some days the nausea doesn't show till the PM (that's my worst time of day). But, a cure-all, I'm afraid you will probably not find :(

Hope this helps! Good luck!!

I would just call and ask if the Dr can give you anything for nausea (some places can do it over the phone). I had all day nausea for weeks on end and didn't want to take anything, but eventually got zofran. Luckily I made it through the worst of it on my own and have hardly used any of the pills. Good luck!

They won't give anything over the counter in pregnancy without a prescription in the uk.

If it's over the counter, how can they not allow anyone to buy it?

I actually had a pharmacist in Ireland refuse to give me what as I recall was an over the counter anti sickness drug, phenergan (I think), and tell me that I needed a note from a consultant dr (not the GP who manages the pregnancy and who had sent me for the drug) before I'd be given anything if pregnant. Then she told me to go eat a ginger biscuit. Great experience!

I actually had a pharmacist in Ireland refuse to give me what as I recall was an over the counter anti sickness drug, phenergan (I think), and tell me that I needed a note from a consultant dr (not the GP who manages the pregnancy and who had sent me for the drug) before I'd be given anything if pregnant. Then she told me to go eat a ginger biscuit. Great experience!

I've had lots refused while pregnant, even for something for a painful broken tooth that the midwife recommended, and thrush cream...always need a doctors note!

Because you need doctors advice when pregnant. Not sure where you are, but that's how it is in the uk, and rightly so imo. As pp said- they won't even give thrush stuff over counter in pregnsncy.

Op- hope the meds have kicked in and the sickness is easing up a little!

The tablets seem to be working I think, they are at least taking the edge off of it! Still get funny feeling in tummy, like I'm starving hungry but I'm not! :wacko:

Glad they're working for you! Cyclizine were the ones that made me poorly but I've been told since to always list it as an allergy so it's probably just me haha.

Hmm that's interesting. In the US anyone can get any OTC med so long as your 17 years old...

I'm pregnant in the US now and a nurse practitioner gave me a prescription over the phone for anti nausea meds. I just had to send my dh to go pick it up at the pharmacy. Definitely easier to have bad nausea and vomitting here!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->