need a child gate for a big patio door

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by smokey, Jan 27, 2011.

1. smokey

smokey Mummy to a monkey

Im going to get some baby gates at the weekend as LO is getting alot faster now but my problem is we have a massive big french window patio and because this flat is boiling even without heating we have to have the door open all summer and even some of the time during winter.

We normaly have some hard board up against the door to stop the cat getting out on the balcony (hes a strict indoor cat and would panic being outside and jump off the balcony) but I was in the kitching for a few seconds and in that time LO pulled the board down and was half way out the door.

Anyidea how I can get a big enough gate to cover the door or a solution, theres no where to fit the gate to the door and the only bit of wall is 3 metres apart.
    I was thinking about getting one of those extendable bathroom curtain rails and doing something with a gate with that but I cant realy think what or how.

Anyone else with big patio doors thats found a solution?

2. jaybee

jaybee Mum to Tobias & Alexander

Lindham(SP?) do a pulley out one which extends much larger than the usual ones. Not sure how big they go though. x

3. bathbabe

bathbabe Mum to 3 boys

How big is the door? X

4. smokey

smokey Mummy to a monkey

The door itself is normal door width but the is nothing to attach the sides of the gate to (the scew to fit bits) its just a door frame where the gate would slip straight off and the only bit of waal is about 3 metres apart so realy it would need to cover the 3 metres

5. bathbabe

bathbabe Mum to 3 boys

You can get 'play pens' that you can use as room deviders. X

6. smokey

smokey Mummy to a monkey

Just been looking at those but typicaly the door opens in so id have to have it angled inwards (like half an hexygon) and that is going to take up a massive space in the livingroom.
    This also mean I now cant have one go straight across the door.
    Just having a lookoutside to see if there is anyway I can fit it to the outside wall that way I dont need to find starage for it when not in use as well.