NEED A HUG - Thalessemia

charlottesma

Mum to 2!
Reaction score
Had a really scary letter from the hospital yesterday, telling me that they thought I had thalessemia and I had an appointment with the consultant last Thursday. Some one had not thought to phone me to tell me and as the letter had some how been sent second class it didn't arrive until yesterday. :hissy: they are trying to rearrange it ASAP, but have been told that after the bank holiday the urgent wait list is pretty long.

I wasn't exactly expecting anything so soon as I only had the blood taken on Tuesday last week.

With the letter was this freaky, scary, leaflet and a blood test for the OH. we expect he will be fine as he is also Scottish, so has only a 1 in a 1000 chance of being a carrier. He is going for the test today.

I have been really badly anaemic as long as I remember and have been on Iron supplements since I was 14 with little effect. seemingly the odds of me having it with my Scottish highland heritage is something ridiculous like 1 in 4 million so I guess I can understand why they never thought it was this before. :dohh:

While I keep trying to be positive remembering I have lived with it for 30 years so it can't be one of the more serious types, I'm really worried about iron toxicity, I do everything I can to boost my iron, I don't drink caffeine, have lots of fruit juice, green veg and meat, I'm constantly on Iron tablets and have also been taking pregnacare, but worry this is really doing me no good and just making me toxic. I have brittle Asthma, which developed over time and seemingly they believe there is some link between Iron toxicity and and respiratory tract illness, there is also a link to heart arrhythmia which I have been having a lot of recently.

Still I guess it explains why I have slept through most of the holiday and feel so nauseas still. :rofl:

Hugs needed please.

:hug:
It doesn't help matters the way the hospital have managed it either! I hope you get your appointment rescheduled soon. At least it gives you some answers about your long history of anaemia and as you say it's very unlikely that OH is a carrier.
Horrible scary letter to receive though!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->