need advice... 18 months apart too close?

babyteach

Reaction score
So to make a long story short to conceive my now 8 months old daughter we had to take many rounds of unsuccessful rounds of clomid and after two rounds of femara I fell pregnant with my dd (the last round of femara was the only time I ovulated!!). I did not ovulate on my own before and I have not gotten my period since I had my daughter so I guess that's the case again. I have an appt. with my OB at the end of the month to start the same protocol of meds that gave us our miracle baby!! If it works the first time our children would be 18 months apart! I need advice from other parents is this too close? Or will they be best friends? And as far as having them that close, am I crazy? ;) We wanted them close but would waiting until they were 20 months apart be better? Thanks advance for any advice :)

This is not too close. Hopefully the other one will want to be Mommy's little helper. Many parents have children this close or closer and they turn out fine.

Thanks I am worried about it but excited at the same time! With this being said I would need to get pregnant again but hoping since we know what works it will work again!

I don't think it's too close at all!!! It would be great!! DD and her little sister will be 12 months apart, and I'm really excited (and nervous about it). Everyone tells me we're making the right decision by having them close together, even though it's a lot of work:thumbup: Good luck and hope you get your BFP soon!!

Thanks I am hoping we are making the right decisions I think some ppl might think we are crazy! What do you think the biggest challenges will be? I commute 40 mins one way to work and that is kind of a concern... Any more advice is very much appreciated!! :)

I don't think 18 months is too close, some might but they're your kids so if you don't think it's too close then go for it!

18 months is close, but not stupidly close, it'll be very hard work but I imagine very rewarding to see them grow up together, good luck!

My sister and I are 18 months apart, and my husband and his brother are also 18 months apart. I think it's great! It's nice being that close in age to a sibling, I think it'll make your kids really close, especially if they're the same gender! When they're a little older, they'll share friends and be able to do things together instead of being at totally different maturity levels and unable to relate to each other.

18m is close but it's a very personal decision. I have lots of friends with 18m age gap and it's fine. My smallest age gap is 2y 2m. However small the gap I know you will never regret your babies :) any age gap has its challenges! Xx

I know you wanted other "parent" answers, but i'd like to add my sister and I are 359 days apart. We are VERY close. We are VERY different too. I think being closer in age is what brought us closer together. I would rather be closer in age than farther apart. :)

Its not too close, if i had my own way i would have one then get pregnant straight away with the next :)

So most say yes so I think it's a go!! Anyone else have any comments or advice??

My boys are 18 months apart. I love it. It's difficult sometimes, but all in all, it's not. My husband travels all the time too, so I'm home alone with them and our daughter mon-fri and while it's exhausting some days, it's not as tough as you might think :)

ETA: They play great together, share the same interest in toys and activities and enjoy matching their clothes haha They are 3 and 18 months right now.

My boys are 18 months apart. I love it. It's difficult sometimes, but all in all, it's not. My husband travels all the time too, so I'm home alone with them and our daughter mon-fri and while it's exhausting some days, it's not as tough as you might think :)

ETA: They play great together, share the same interest in toys and activities and enjoy matching their clothes haha They are 3 and 18 months right now.

Thanks so much for this replay it's just what I needed!! My hubby is a carpenter but also a part time farmer so in the spring and fall he is gone a lot working long hours. So one of my worries was that I would be over whelmed being alone!! But if you can do it... :winkwink: I want our children to be close so that's why I want to have them close together. I work full time as a teacher so I am blessed to have 3 months with them in the summer!! Any tips for how to cope? What are the struggles with one running around crazy and a demanding newborn? Thanks again!

Thanks so much for this replay it's just what I needed!! My hubby is a carpenter but also a part time farmer so in the spring and fall he is gone a lot working long hours. So one of my worries was that I would be over whelmed being alone!! But if you can do it... :winkwink: I want our children to be close so that's why I want to have them close together. I work full time as a teacher so I am blessed to have 3 months with them in the summer!! Any tips for how to cope? What are the struggles with one running around crazy and a demanding newborn? Thanks again!

Routine!!! We don't go by any schedule, but we have a very strict routine. Some days, you'll feel like you're going crazy, but 98% of the time it's wonderful. Keeping your toddler busy and feeling helpful is key. Nursing is tough at first, but once your toddler gets used to the routine, it'll be fine! Try to get your toddler used to a nap and bedtime routine before the new baby comes. You'll do great!! :happydance:

My girls are 14 months apart, and it was challenging when they were both still babies, but it is AWESOME now that they're 3 and 4 years old. I love it, and they really really love each other. We all co-sleep (I know, still..) and they are often snuggled up with each other. They play together all day long, love wearing matching clothes, and truly look out for each other all of the time. They have a gymnastics class together and walk around holding hands <3. They are pretty opposite in personalities and do argue a lot, but at the end of the day they are really close.

And for what it's worth, we've been trying for a third since our youngest was just a few months old (and we actually did get pregnant when she was only 3 months old but it was ectopic). So I'd love to keep having our kids close but it just didn't work out like that.

Good luck to you! You'll really love having two close in age.

I am the oldest of 3...I was 4 1/2 when my sister was born and 6 when my brother was born. They are 16 months apart. They grew up super close and I always played "house" with them.

DS1 is 4 and DS2 is 9 months. If we are able to conceive this cycle DS2and baby#3 will be 18 or so months apart... I'm hoping that all of my children will be best buds! :friends:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"