Need advice for holding in pee for ultrasound :/

xakikox

Reaction score
My first ultrasound is on Monday, After drinking 2 cups of water on an empty bladder, I'm already doing the dance. How am I going to going to hold it in for the ultrasound? Any advice?

I'm the same! Have an extremely weak bladder and always struggled. I find that drinking room temp water over cold water helps and literally distracting myself. I know that if I can't hold I won't get to see my baby so it helps keep me focused! Good luck, hope your scan goes well.

Reminds me of when i was having an my ultrasound with my first baby. I was ready to burst before the ultrasound and the doctor actually told me my bladder was too full! I was leaving the room to go and empty it a little and the nurse that was In the room said "just empty it by about half" on the walk to the bathroom I was thinking "How do I know what half bladder is??!"

I used to go pee about 30-45 mind before the ultrasound and drink very little afterwards and there wasn't ever a problem. . . Except that one time lol

Chug some water right before you go in so it doesn't hit it you as fast.

This is tough, I know. My bladder was so full before my u/s I was actually in pain! The only thing that kept me going was I refused to do anything to screw up the opportunity to see my baby.

The tech ended up giving me a cup and told me to empty my bladder up to the 3/4 line because it was way too full, LOL.

Good luck - once you see your little one on the screen it'll be worth all the discomfort!

I ALWAYS struggle with this. Theyve told me before my bladder isnt full enough yet im on the verge of bursting for a wee!!! I hate it.

Don't drink too early or too much. Start about an hour before and plan to drink about 16-24 ounces slowly over the course of the hour. I usually drink half in the first 15-20 mins then taper off and sip the rest over the remainder of the hour.

I experimented with 32 oz, but I peed 3times within the hour because it was so painfully full. What was the minimum you drank and in what time span and was still able to see baby?

I never drink as much as they ask for and I drink it about 30 mins before the test.

I always ignored them, it was way too painful to drink what they wanted and hold it in. For every scan I've had this pregnancy they just tell me not to pee an hour before the test. So I pee at exactly an hour before the test lol. I also have problems with uti, once I explain that to them they usually do the best they can.

If they call you on emptying your bladder you can always just say you had to poop before the scan and couldn't help it lol

I find this so strange bc I was never told to drink anything and the nurse always had me empty my bladder before each ultrasound. I was scanned weeks 6-13 each week and then every 2 weeks (high risk) and we always saw baby just fine. So anyhoo, I really feel for you. I think I'd not get too full up and just see how it goes. GL

With ds1 I got told to empty my bladder a little because it was too full. Then scanned again and it was still too full so emptied a bit more out. Third time she just told me to empty it completely haha x

I've heard that a full bladder for early scans is better as apparently a full bladder helps the scanner navigate what they're looking at in the beginning before its too obvious.

But I've always just been told don't go before the scan. I do remember years back where they said you had to drink x amount before the scan. I guess they realized that it wasn't reasonable and did away with it.

Last time I was bursting and in agony ( had to get to hospital by bus, seriously not good with full bladder!). And ended up having to half empty it cos it was too full.

Now I've been told to pee just before leaving the house for my appointment, and drink a bottle of water on the way in hopefully it will be a little comfier this time!

Haven't read all the comments but I'm the same way! They told me to drink 20oz. of water 30 mins before so I did and was maybe half way done with the bottle and was doing the potty dance at check in...she said I didn't have to drink the rest if I was already barely holding it...she even had me go pee but only a tiny bit and hold it again which I think was worse...the ultrasound tech did what he needed really fast then had me empty my bladder and did more ultrasound pics vaginally on an empty bladder. I'd say just chug half before u get there and the other half in the waiting room. After I pee'd we could literally see my bladder filling up again on the big screen! LOL

i had the same problem but all i drank was a cup of juice a half hour(although i was told to drink a ton more liquids than that) before the actual ultrasound took place and the sonographer didn't say a word to me about there not being enough liquid in my bladder. but this was at my first and official medical 20 week ultrasound. might also be because im petite and that baby Kylie is right at the surface but i did have to pee right after.

My bladder fills up crazy fast. I always feel like I'm gonna burst. My first ultrasound I ever had I thought I was going to die I was I so much pain and she told me to like half empty my bladder cause it was too full. She told me the next time to not drink the recommended aamount and pee a little if I needed too. ...

Now I drink a bottle of water on my way to the ultrasound and I'm perfect. Not dieing but my bladder is full enough.... you shouldn't be in pain

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->