need advice on landlord if poss

S

scottishgal

update :( well I got home yesterday at 6pm and we came into the house loads of post and house was cold and a funny smell landlord had cut the electric by taking the fuses from the fuse box in the hall!!! I do owe him rent well 2months and deposit of £650 which was paid yesterday anyway we went to a local electrician and spent £12 on getting the fuses for the box and bingo we have light heating etc so we went shopping and came back dp has put nets up etc at the windows that didnt have any and we are going to the council and CAB and social offices tomorrow to see where we stand I know landlord said he had cut services and wasnt putting them back on till arrears were paid but my friend had been checking my house and told me that the electric was on on monday checking my emails my landlord had cut them on the 27th of march that is why my fridge was moldy so dp had to clean that while I made a cuppa I was wondering as I am making an effort to pay etc can he still continue with what he has done and will the CAB etc be able to help me it doesnt state in my tenancy that he can just switch services off. I am so worried as we are staying at my house and the landlord thinks that we are not as he is away till 8th of may and has took the fuses out of the box. any advice I am going go be putting more money in his bank so there should be about £1000 paid and another £300 left. I do not want to go back to england as it took us 7hrs to get up here we set off at 10am yesterday morning and arrived here at 6pm we finally got finished at twenty to one this morning and I have had 3hrs sleep I couldnt sleep

I'd get to the citizens advice tomorrow hun, i'm sure he can't do that :(

If youre landlords receiving money from you i think he should NOT be allowed to cut youre services. He is still getting paid. I would definatly go to citizens advise hun xxx

hi hunnis he hasnt cut them he just said he had and my mate checked and they are still on it was just a way to get his money quicker

I'm sure that if you are being seen to be making payments that he wouldn't have a leg to stand on hun x

hi hunnis he hasnt cut them he just said he had and my mate checked and they are still on it was just a way to get his money quicker

Hi, youre landlord sounds like a bugger. He shouldn't complain though because he is still getting paid. The things people will do to get money quicker :grr:.
Youre making the payments so try not to worry you'll be fine. If things get too much though definatly go to citizens advise. If youre sorting out housing benefit he should get back paid from that anyway xxx

He cant do anything babe, he would have to go to court to follow correct procedures, and any court would see your doing all you can to pay it back :hugs:

yes he is hun well we are going back tonight so thats ok i am looking forward to it to be honest i think he is a t*** lol and so does dp. i am trying all I can after all I am pregnant

i think it is a difficult one because although you are paying him money if you are behind on your rent then he does not have to continue providing services to you, do you have a copy of your contract? if you pm it to me i am happy to have a look for you xx

as long as you are making some sort of payment no longer than 6weeks apart he cant do anything but make threats. if it gets to 6weeks and 1day he can start action against you. this isnt just for landlords but credit cards and such as well.

o right hun well hes had £400 and another £250 this week so thats £650 in total then another £110 so thats £770 thats a fair amount so far

It's a bit of a tricky one - I mean, you do owe him money. But cutting off the electricity isn't the way for him to get it. I'm surprised he let you move in without a deposit, was it an informal arrangement or do you have a contract? If you have a standard contract, I imagine he's broken the terms of it, but if you don't, you might have problems. Hopefully he will be happy to get the money you owe him (most of it) and will leave it at that.

Heya
not sure if you saw my reply on the other thread you had, but have a look at it - essentially I said he's not allowed to give up his obligations jut becasue you haven't paid.
So you're allowed to be there and have proper services unless there is a court order or other procedure followed.
You should of course try to pay, but he can't give up his obligations if you don't. Of course if you don't pay, you're at risk of losing the property.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"