• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Need advice re nursery and maternity leave

Kiddo

Reaction score
At the moment Harvey goes to nursery two afternoons a week while I work. I'm planning to stop working at the end of this month and we can't decide whether to keep Harvey in nursery or not.

Should we keep his routine as normal as possible or will he have adapted to not going to nursery before the new baby arrives? Will he find it weird that he gets packed off to nursery while the new baby stays with me?

I'm planning on taking a year off work, by which time Harvey will be about ready to change to the nursery attached to the school anyway, so it's not like we'll be taking him out, putting him back then swapping nursery. We'd just be taking him out for a year then sending him to a different nursery. If we keep him in then he'll keep going until it's time to move to the school nursery.

Obviously if we cancelled nursery we'd be a bit better off but we have the money so that's not a huge issue.

Does anyone have any advice or experiences they wouldn't mind sharing?
:flower:

i was thinkin about all this too. I've been off sick most of my pregnancy so i havent been able to keep coen off but bein at home without him is making me miss him even more than if id been busy in work. We dont want to lose are place wit the childminder so hav decided to keep coens place wit her after baby is born but i'll be keepin him home a couple of days a week wit the baby. Then gradually the baby is gonna go to the same childminder for a day or 2 aswell to get her used to it. Basically i'm gonna suit myself and have them stay off wit me together and individually- the only bad thing is havin to pay for full time places lol!

If we had a bit more money I think we would, only one day a week though I think. Stupidly, we'll be better off with me at home on SMP rather than having to pay childcare out of my full salary, so we'll just make the most of it!
I think whatever you decide will be absolutely fine, LO will probably be happy either way.

Personally, I would want LO home with me.
However, if you say he only goes 2 afternoons a week and money isn't a problem, then I would keep his space.
He's used to nursery, so he'll be used to all the kids, and being away from you for a bit. He may get bored at home (this happened with my sister's kids), and he may like getting out of the house a few afternoons a week, and interacting with other people.

I would keep sending him. It's only 2 afternoons, not like you're planning to pack him off for 5 full days a week. If money isn't an issue then you're in a good position. It's something I'd do if we could afford it, it sounds ideal, two afternoons to spend totally with the new baby/get stuff done without a toddler around. If he enjoys it and gets a lot out of it, then sounds great to me. You can always take him out if it doesn't seem to be working.

I work 3 days a week and Anna is looking after by my mum and MIL.

Anna does not go to nursery.

However, we have talked of trying to get her in a couple days/afternoons per week before the baby arrives, as I think it will be hard having a newborn and toddler all day.

My thinking is you are lucky you already have a place and I would keep it.

Dont think it will affect LO either way, just thinking it might be easier for you if he stays at nursery the 2 afternoons.:flower:

I think a little bit of nursery is a good thing even when mum is at home - for the older child (who gets the additional learning environment and some maintained consistency in their routine), for the new baby (who gets a little bit of mum to themselves, which the older child probably had in abundance) and for the mum (who could probably use some quieter time alone with the new baby every now and again).

Lx

I am in the same situation and am unsure what to do.

I am thinking of keeping Max in 2 1/2 days a week so I can do something with the new baby (like baby sensory) and also so Max's routine doesn't change too much.

I have no family nearby so I worry about being isolated and housebound with 2 little ones.

If we had a bit more money I think we would, only one day a week though I think. Stupidly, we'll be better off with me at home on SMP rather than having to pay childcare out of my full salary, so we'll just make the most of it!
I think whatever you decide will be absolutely fine, LO will probably be happy either way.

Congrats on the pregnancy!!!

Isabel was in nursery fulltime, when I started mat leave I kept her in two days a wk and we will continue this til I return to work when it will then be 3 days a wk.
For us it was the following:
- isabel LOves nursery - unfair to deprive her completely of friends, social setting and structured play
- didn't think it fair to get her used to being at home all the time then suddenly put herr back in when returned to work
- toddlers are time and attention consuming...the 2 days in nursery give me a break mentally, a chance to give 1:1 attention to emily and to do some washing!
I dedicate isabels 5 days at home to playgroups, going out or staying in and doing loads, then I can do housework and shopping while emily sleeps and isabel in nursery

Sorry for the waffle, am banging this out on phone!

I have already thought about this - I will be TTC next month. Isabella already goes to nursery and I will have to return to some kind of work/study after next baby, and I also want the opportunity to do some of the same things with the next baby that I have done with her (groups where you can only take one child etc). For that reason, I will keep both her nursery days going providing we can afford it.

Katie goes to nursery one day a week and I will be on maternity in July. Luckily she gets her free nursery place in Sep for 2 and half hrs every day so I am taking her out of private nursery.
if you can afford it I would keep the one day a week in nursery

Ia m planning that if I have another LO will still go to nursery - she will get eh 15 hours free a week, that plus childcare vouchers from OH pay will mean it will be covered. THey way I see it, she likes it and I had all that special time with just her and me when she was wee, and I will want to have some of that with baby #2, for theit benefit as well, as LO is hard work and I know I will be crabit and I don't want er just knowing a crabit mother. Or LO feeling pushed out as I cant play with her all the time etc. But at nursery, she gets that attention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hayley1990
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"