• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Need Help Deciding Another IUI or IVF w/ ICSI???

laurenann184

Reaction score
So I had my first failed IUI, DH's count was only 5.5 post wash.

I was all set to do another IUI w/100 mg clomid, and my RE office just called and told me that my insurance approved IVF with ICSI!!!! Is it worth it to try the IUI's? (Insurance will cover two more attempts) Or should I go straight to IVF??? I'm so confused! My biggest fear is that I do this, and it doesn't work, and then that's it. We don't have anymore attempts left. It just feels so, all or nothing. What would you guys do? I need opinions!

I would maybe have a look at how many IVF attempts you have/ whether or not IUI reduces your IVF no of attempts. Why not take as much help as you can get?

I have a 30,000 dollar limit. I just dont want to waste that on failed IUI's. After researching a lot, I think I will ask my doctor if I can do 1 more IUI on injectables then move to IVF w/ ICSI. This plan seems comfortable, and I hope they go for it!

Thats great you have the option and youre maybe right to have one last go> As IUI doesn@t really have high success rates>XX

My DH also had really low counts...we did 4 IUI attempts, three with Clomid and one with injectables, all BFN. We're now waiting for IVF with ICSI once our new insurance kicks in next year. Unfortunately, IUI success rates are VERY low for counts under 10 million. It's a really hard call to make, but ICSI really is your best option with count issues. Good luck to you!!!

If your insurance is covering it I would go to the IVF with ICIS. DH and I did several rounds of IUI and none of them worked. I had every test ran on me and DH and they all came back fine. My RE could not figure out why I was not getting pregnant. I did my fist IVF without ICIS (big mistake) and found out that I have polyspermy (more than one sperm enters the egg). If I had done ICIS the first round we would have possible gotten a better outcome of fertilized eggs. DH and I are trying round 2 next month but our insurance does not cover fertility treatments. You are very lucky and I wish you the best of luck.

Thanks for all the well wishes. Just started Follistim, and thinking this may be our last go with IUI... It seems by what I read, and what you girls are telling me, ICSI is the best thing for mfi... I don't want to waste anymore time on pointless IUI's.

Hiya I had a similar deicsion to make, although slightly different in that we are funded on the NHS. We get 3 x iui and 1 x ivf funded (so similar to your insurance) and the doc suggested we go straight to ivf but given its one one 'free' go we decided to go down the iui route first and see what happens. If it doesn't work then we'll move onto ivf and hope for the best.

I would agree to try one more iui then make your decision. Sorry to hear the first one didn't work (success rates are soooo low) - i should know by next weekend whether mine has worked. Trying to stay positive.

baby dust xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"