Need Help desperately with sleeping!!

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by bex_9031, Jun 8, 2011.

1. bex_9031

bex_9031 new mummy

Hi,
    As the title states im in desperate need of help with my 5mnth old.
    She is terrible for going down for naps during the day, i've managed to get it so she has one in the morning (never the same time because she always wakes at different times in the morning), sometimes one around lunch, and then one around half 3ish. The problem is that even though she is So So tired she will fight it till the end, and refuses completely if im not rocking/jigging her about. Ive tried putting her in her cot with her mobile on but she will just lie there screaming.
    The same happens at bedtime, although ive got a bedtime routine set so she will generally be asleep by half 7 after drinking her bottle. But if she doesn't go to sleep having her bottle then i have to rock/jig until she's sleeping. Again ive tried just putting her down but she will scream herself into hysterics...just refuses to sleep no matter how long she's left.

One of the major problems is that im struggeling with rocking her now she's bigger. Im only small myself and jigging a 15lb baby is hard on my legs/knees/arms. I just wish she'd fall asleep on her own, the rest i could deal with!

Does anyone suffer with the same problems? What have you done to resolve it? Anyone with any tips? Please help im at my wits end.

Thanks x

2. meg79

meg79 Well-Known Member

Try putting her in a lay down position in the pushchair and jiggle it. If my LO is really over tired, he will moan for literally 2 mins at the most before finding his thumb and just falls straight asleep!

3. LittleShark

LittleShark Well-Known Member

I was reading Andrea Grace`s Gentle Sleeping Solutions some time ago and can recommend it as there is loads of help for every wakeful baby and easy to find a 'case study' similar to your own situation.

4. bathbabe

bathbabe Mum to 3 boys

Harrison fights sleep if he is over tired. Even now at a year old if i dont put him down for a nap 2-3hours after hes woken he gets grumpy and miserable. At 5months Harrisons awake time was 30mins to an hour before needing a nap x

5. aliss

aliss Well-Known Member

We had the exact same issue. I started playing the same 20 minute aquarium lullabye every time I rocked/jiggled him to sleep and eventually he has learned to fall asleep to that same song. It took a month of consistent practice but it now works every time (he still 'plays' for 20 minutes alone in his crib while it goes on, but he eventually passes out).

I suggest working on something like that, a good sleep association, that doesn't require you to be there.

6. minties

minties Complete

Firstly I would try getting your LO up at the same time every day, so it's not so random (this helped me). That way you and LO know what time the first nap is.

While Thomas can handle being awake for 2 hours happily, he wont go down to sleep if he has been awake that long, he screams and cries.

So I have to put him down 15-30 minutes before the 2 hours is up, so he can wind down a bit.

I also use white noise and he is swaddled.

At 5 months old his max awake time was 1.5 hours. I think the average awake time for a baby that age is anywhere between 1-2.5 hours. You maye have to experiment to find out what is normal for your baby.

7. emiliasmummy

emiliasmummy Well-Known Member

hi hun , totally no how u feel ,have a look at 1 of my treads as im dealing with a simular thing ,however i just got my lo diagnoised a week ago with a milk intorlance and reflux so thats been a major problem however her sleep is still awful only had 4hrs last night just hang in there and have u tried a baby carrier so u can strap in lo to your chest but have arms free and maybe pottering around the house rather than bouncing her with take pressure off your legs xxx

8. beth0703

beth0703 Well-Known Member

are any of you weaning atm? im having this with my nearly 4month old and i read in a few places its a sign they are ready to wean along with watching you eat and waking more in the night than usual. I dont know if this is true however so im abit torn as to weather to start at 4months or wait until 6 ? if any of you are already weaning it will help me rule that out as the cause as obviously it dosnt help .

thanks xx

9. Cat_pj

Cat_pj Well-Known Member

No, I don't think this is true, its a common misconception, according to my HV. They get more calories from milk anyway, rather than mashed fruit or puree so I don't think its an issue. Weaning is a personal choice of course.

My LO is 5 months next week and she's a rubbish day time sleeper. She can easily go 4 or 5 hours without a nap!

I don't even think that she gets over tired, I always watch for eye rubbing, yawning etc... :shrug:

10. beth0703

i think i will leave the weaning for a while. i thought it wasnt true as hes only just gone on to 7oz yesterday milk wise he lasts about 4 hours on that the chubster lol. Noah does nap at around 11 and 3 but literall 10 mins at most he does rub his eyes and get restless but hes just to nosey to sleep. At bed times he used to go at 7.30 till 4am then till 7am it was great but hes recently started screaming after bath time as he knows its bed time and dosnt want to go then finally goes by 8 as we have had to start bath earlier.. then akes at 12 , 4, 6... then wont go back to sleep!! its getting stressfull i hope this will pass soon.

11. nb1984

nb1984 Mother of one

I noticed a big change with my LO around 4-5 months and suddenly everything went out the window, she is nearly 1 now so I may not remember this all perfectly! Until 4 months she was feeding every 3 hours, and then I found she was fussing over feeds and not that interested, so I switched her to 4 hours between feeds on the advice of my HV and everything snapped back into place!

I tried to follow the baby whisperer idea of wake her at the same time each morning so 7am, and then milk right away, then another bottle at 11am, 3pm and then 7pm.

How long is your LO awake for roughly before a nap? At 5 months my DD could only stay awake 2 hours at a time, so I would try and get her down for 9am and aim for her to nap til 10.30.

If I missed this and tried to keep her going longer I would have the same problem as you and have to rock her or try milk to settle her etc. If you havent read it then I would really recommend the baby whisperer, I read a few books before I found one that suited me and my baby and this really helped xxx

12. beth0703

He can be awake for a good few hours before a nap take this moring he was awake at 6am didnt want a feed as i fed him 6oz at 4am i tried him at 9am wasnt intrested then he ate at 10 7oz and fell asleep for around 25 mins. hes still awake now since that.

ill try the baby whisperer hopefully it will help. Hes not a cryer unless hes hungry or going to bed at night time but i just feel i have no myself time. My friends baby has a good few hours in the day giving her chance for a bath or to read ect i wish this was me haha

13. Jem88

Jem88 Guest

My LO was exactly the same until 4 days ago, she didn't have a daytime routine at all, just a bedtime one. Her daytime nap's we're all over the place and she'd scream and kick about and just fight her sleep at during the day and at bedtime as she was just over tired. She too likes to be rocked/jiggled about and she's 17lb and it used to really hurt my back the next day if i had to walk about/rock her at bedtime for a good 30mins. But the last 4 day's we've started rocking her and getting her settled to nap maybe every hour & half after she's had a nap and even tho she's only napping 30-45mins each time she's no longer having screaming fits and fighting us when she's tired.. I've noticed she's also being going to bed at 6.45pm with no fuss, since we've sorted her daytime napping, she's also been waking at 5.45am and then having her first nap an hour later at 7am-ish.