Need help please

Parkep

Very happy mom
Reaction score
So my LO can't/wont latch, I have flat nipples and samething happened with my first I used a shield for the first month then weaned her off.
So my LO is currently using a shield, she is such a sleepy baby (wouldn't normally complain) it's almost impossible to wake her to feed. And when I do get her well enough awake she sucks for a couple mins then falls asleep... This goes on for well over an hour. I wake her to the point she is screaming, two mins later sleeping. Then I take her off and she wakes her self up rooting, put her back on...asleep. I topped her up with expressed after an hour of feeding she took over an oz and wanted more. She's still not back at her birth weight was 7 lbs 15 oz is 7 lbs 13 oz. And the midwives want to see her gain more. Please help! Oh also sometimes she will just sit with the shield in her mouth wide awake, doing nothing for a long time! I try to get her to suck nothing take her off, she roots like crazy! Put her back on sucks for a min then zones back out.

I didn't want to read and run but not really sure what you could do. As your first daughter was weaned off the shield that means your new daughter should be able to latch without. Have you tried expressing just before latching to bring the nipple out?
Maybe stripping baby to her nappy will help wake her enough.
Someone more helpful should come along soon. Good luck.

Thank you for not reading and running :) my first was able to latch after her mouth grew a bit is what I figured. Took a lot of practice with her to do it. I've tried latching this LO without to no avail. 3 nurses tried as well. Anyways lol I've tried the naked baby, wet wash cloth the whole works. It would work for a short time then she falls asleep again.

Could she be an efficient feeder and getting her fill in short time? It's common for them to feed frequently.

I would love that! But I really don't think so. She will wake after 2 mins (with lots of coaxing from me) and act like I've never fed her since the day she was born, then eat two mins asleep lol

First of all, it's very early days. Resist the urge to top up because your supply will be negatively effected. It's tough! I was on the couch all the time for what seemed like the first 6 weeks :wacko: Secondly, do you have a pump? Try pumping a tiny bit to get your nipple easier to latch onto so you can get rid of the shield. Also, you can try warm compresses to get the milk to let down. :) You'll make it! :)

she wont be getting your let down and that will be causing her to drop off and fall asleep id express till you get a let down then latch her so she has instant flow

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->