Need your honest opinion (Xposted)

PiperDilly

Reaction score
So my husband was just informed that he'll be losing his job in the next 12-18 months. That means we'll be losing our health insurance, which means we'll be losing our infertility coverage. He will get a severance package, so we won't be left completely high and dry when he is laid off. But we also have no idea how long it will take for him to find another job...

So... My question: if you were in my situation would you take advantage of the infertility coverage and TTC baby #2 right now or would you wait until everything is all sorted out? (Who knows if his next employer will offer infertility coverage! It's not required in my state.) We weren't planning to try until next Fall. I know I'm the only one that can make the final choice, but I just need to hear other opinions!!

Thanks!

I'm a bit confused by your tickets, it says you're 35 weeks pregnant?

Do you have any reason the believe you'd need infertility insurance?

That's 2 years old. That's how long it has been since I've been on here! Haha. Yes, we have male factor and I do not ovulate.

Hmm... that's a tricky situation. If you TTC now and say get pregnant quickly with the help of fertility treatments, a big issue would be if you could afford a baby when he loses his job after its born. This would be my main concern, unless you have a job as well and he could take care of your other child and the baby while you're at work until he finds one himself, however this would affect breastfeeding if that's what you were planning to do. Diapers and formula (if you plan to bottle feed) aren't cheap.

On the contrary, I know how hard waiting for something you want so badly. Miracles have happened a lot on here. I've seen some ladies not get BFPs while on Clomid or other infertility drugs, or even had IVF failure, and then go on to get pregnant naturally. Maybe you could look into ways to boost the fertility of both you and your DH. I've read that folic acid helps men produce more and healthier sperm. There is also soy isoflavones for women who don't ovulate (this is only if you've been diagnosed with annovulation because if you take soy but still do ovulate it could really mess up your cycles).

I know this isn't really telling you what to do but it would be some things I would consider if I were in your situtation :) I wish the best to you in whatever you decide to do!

Thanks so much for your thoughtful input! It helps to hear other people's opinions. :)

Unfortunately we would definitely need fertility meds and IUI. My husband has diabetes and pretty much 0 sperm count, so we'll be using a donor. I wish I could feel optimistic about trying naturally but I don't think it's in the cards for us.

He will be getting a severance package when he is laid off and the option to cash in his stock in the company. So it's possible that we would be fine financially for several months. But you never know! It's scary territory.

I don't know why this feels like such an impossible choice!

I would say in light of the fertility issues, go for it and pray that the rest will work itself out. I'm not sure what your husband does, but infertility coverage is not all that common. The job market is pretty good right now. My company has been struggling to find anyone for even entry level positions. People are demanding higher pay, being picky about hours, etc...all good signs for him finding work soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->