Neocate Users - HELP PLEASE!

FPE2016

Reaction score
Hi,

My son has been diagnosed with Cow's milk protein allergy (no tests have been done but he had blood in the nappy, eczema and a stuffy nose).

He was diagnosed 6 weeks ago, and it has been a complete nightmare. Each day, he takes less formula and I don't know what to do, I walk around, sing, distract him and I get 3 oz in him... totalling about 15 - 18 oz a day. The dietician said I should aim for 24 which seems impossible, he just hates it.

We have tried drops of vanilla extract, giving it hot, cold, holding him in different ways, he smells it and turns his head and starts crying : (

Are there any other alternatives to Neocate? I hear Nutramigen AA tastes just as bad. Also, we have been referred to an allergist but I hear the results we'll get are not conclusive for young babies.... I was wondering if his test for soy came negative, if we should try Wysoy.

Anyway, sorry for the long post. I just don't know what to do to get him to drink more. He wakes up every 3 hours at night (i am guessing because he is hungry)... and keeps turning and tossing all night. I'm exhausted!

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated!

Bumping for you! No help I'm afraid as I'm in the same boat :-( this post is from June, I hope you managed to get some changes????

I can't really help but it might be worth trying another milk. My little one was given similac - he would not drink it at all (don't blame him though, the smell made me heave). He was then switched to nutramigen lipil 1 and he drank that one no problem. Unfortunately he became allergic to that too, so he's now on neocate. I've found he doesn't drink as much, but he does drink more often - more or less every hour when he's awake. Not sure how old your baby is but I've heard that older babies are more likely to refuse it. For older babies though I believe there are flavoured versions. Good luck, I hope you find something that your baby will drink. None of them are very nice really though

I know it sounds horrible, but eventually he'll take it.
Can't really give any tips my crazy son LOVED neocate flavour (while we gagged making the bottles lol).
I would really not suggest soy, because soy is a massive allergen (as big, if not bigger than cow's milk) and allergy tests aren't reliable at all at this age. False negatives happen often.

I wouldn't use vanilla extract, but maybe look on the neocate facebook page? A lot of people ask this question and some people have really good tips!

Try Elecare!!! My son was on neocate but he had to be switched because local pharmacies didn’t order it anymore and the doctor told us neocate and elecare were about the same thing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->