Neurological Scans? I'm a worrier :(

Nichole

DD, DS, and pregnant!
Reaction score
My OBGYN wants me to have a neuro scan because I've been having so many migraines. Anyone else had to do this? Or heard of it? I'm a little nervous. They said it's just a precaution, but I've heard so many women say they had a lot of migraines during pregnancy and never had a scan done. Just trying to put my mind at ease.

It sounds like they're being overcautious to me, but I'd always prefer an overcautious doctor to one who doesn't care!

My mum has had scans because of migraines (not while pregnant) and I understand it to be a fairly normal thing to do if somebody is getting a lot of them, but during pregnancy your hormones are all over the place so I'd just put it down to that. Maybe ask your doctor if there's anything else that has made them worry, but I think you can relax about it, try to anyway!

Hmmmm......I'd try to wait out the pregnancy as hormones are KNOWN to cause migraines in pregnancy. Then if you are still having the migraines after the pregnancy THEN get the scan. Just my thoughts.....
Also, migraines are totally common in the 1st trimester......may go away by 14-16 weeks.

I've had scans done (both MRI and CT) for a different issue, as well as one CT specifically to check if there was a physical cause for my migraines (this was before getting pregnant). It's actually supposed to be common practice to get a scan done if you have migraines when not pregnant, though it can be hard to get a doctor to actually refer for one unless you get them really frequently (only got mine done because I was in the ER once for the pain, and the doctor there decided to do one). Generally it's just done to rule out anything physical that could be contributing to the migraines, not because there's something specific they think is wrong. It's kind of the same thing as going to the doctor for a sore leg, and having them say "It's probably just a sore muscle because you've been jogging a lot, but lets send you for an x-ray to just rule out anything else".

Also, there's really nothing to either type of test, all you have to do is lie still! As long as there's no risk to the baby, might as well let them have their look!

I wouldn't worry, it'll to be eliminate issues, not to diagnose one IYKWIM?

Thanks ladies. I haven't heard back from the doctors yet. I do know that they can be more common in pregnancy, but since I didn't have any with my first and I'm having about 3-4 a week right now, I was a bit worried. That just seems like so many.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->