Never sewn a thing before in my life but...

Jody R

Reaction score
...I want to make some curtains and I don't know how easy/difficult it might be.

I have borrowed a sewing machine from a friend and I have the fabric from Ikea but it's not wide enough so I will have to sew two pieces together side by side to make a piece big enough to be one curtain.

Is it easy to make curtains? They seem like a fairly basic shape but I am a complete novice and don't want a nasty surprise.

Any advice is gratefully received.

i found making curtains easy yeah :) i used curtain tape rather than tabtops or rings, aslong as the edges is neat if they are unlined them its fine :) and lined is cleaner seam (in that makes sense lol)

Thanks for helping. :flower:

I've bought some lining to put on them.

My basic idea was to pin the lining to the curtain material, which is a light cotten, and then tack it with thread, then fold the hems of the curtain material so it covers the edge of the lining and sew the lining to the curtain material properly as part of the sewing of the hem.

And then using the curtain tape (that is the stuff with the threads to pull at the end isn't it?) near the top and use curtain hooks to fasten to the curtain rings for the rail.

Yes thats curtain tape :D it sounds like your on the right tracks there <--- sorry bad pun :haha:

I cheated and bought a duvet cover to match my bed cover cut it in half. sewed it up then added tab tops because we have a curtain pole. hope your getting on ok xx

If you have a curtain pole you can use curtain rings, looks nicer than the white track. I've sewn curtains quite a few times, not lined ones though. One thing I'd definitely recommend is pre-washing the material if its a washable fabric; and also when the curtains are sewn do not hem them yet; hang them for a couple of days unhemmed and then hem so the fabric gets a chance to settle and stretch to its full capacity, otherwise you can end up with kind of a 'pouch' of material above the stitching of the hem at the bottom xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->