Never thought I would say this - getting cold feet!

loeylo

1DD, 1 pup, WTT#2
Reaction score
Having a baby has been on my mind in the background pretty much my whole life. I was in a serious relationship from 17 until 21, and we had a pregnancy scare after about a year together. Turns out I wasn't actually pregnant (or had a chemical pregnancy) but it made me super broody! When we broke up, I was pretty gutted as I had always imagined "our" baby and I knew it would never be. Came off the pill as I wasn't having unprotected sex any more, met my current boyfriend and fell pregnant through a slipped condom the first night we slept together.
After miscarrying I became baby daft! Spent my time wishing to be pregnant, jealous of pregnant friends etc. I was on the pill and "knew" it wouldn't happen anyway.
18 months later, I fell pregnant again and we were both so excited! Luckily hadn't really made it public knowledge as I miscarried again.
We vowed that when I finished uni, got a full time job, we bought a house, got a dog and got married we would have a baby.
These things always seemed so distant and it never really felt like I would get to this stage. Here we are, 18 months later and we have nearly achieved everything on the list, aside from the wedding! I feel it has come around so quickly and it terrifies me that I am technically almost at my "ideal" life stage to have baby! I have held off all my adult life and now it is in sight!

I also worry that my boyfriend might be scared to propose now as he feels like he is getting marched down the aisle and straight into the maternity unit, lol!
Is anyone else getting scared as they get closer?

I am. I think it is perfectly natural. Becoming a mum, I'm sure, is such a massive thing and all of a sudden, there is going to be this tiny little person who is going to depend on you for absolutely everything. It scares the hell out of me at times. I look at one of my dogs, he has social problems, and I worry that I screwed him up somehow, and what if I do that to a baby? I panic that I am going to be a bad mum, that I won't do things well enough. But I know that pretty much every woman must feel like that.

Why not have a chat with your OH about how you feel and see what he says? :hugs:

I get what you mean entirely...OH and I are possibly going to TTC a whole year before my ticker states, meaning that it will be this July versus the next one. I am slightly freaking out...I can't believe that in 7 months we can be expecting, when we have been waiting for a baby for pretty much 5 years-and I've ALWAYS wanted kids. I haven't been truly broody the entire time, but this past year I have been crazy about babies and now I am so much closer than I thought. I think part of the cold feet on my part is just the huge change that comes with a baby-financially, physically and emotionally. I am suddenly thinking realistically about daycare costs and have approached my parents about possibly watching the baby a couple of days a week. I am thinking of pregnancy and what comes with it- not that I didn't have these things planned or thought about before, but I feel like now the REAL planning has begun, and my previous sense of control has been uprooted. I think, though, that we are going to be just fine :D

I am definitely getting more worried as I get closer to my TTC date. Before, it seemed like it would be forever away but now that there's a real date, I'm getting really nervous. I'm already a mom so I'm not worried about having a baby...I'm worried about my changing family and how my kids will react to having another sibling. I want nothing more than to have another baby, but I am getting really nervous about it. You are definitely not alone in feeling like that. :flower:

Ya, I feel similarly. We're starting TTC our 1st in about 2 weeks. On one hand, I'm super excited and I know that I'm approaching something that I have been looking forward to for a VERY long time. But I'm also nervous too. I think it's natural to be nervous because it's such a momentous part of life, and it shows that we care about the well-being of our future LOs, as well as the feelings of our existing families - all signs that point to people who will make or are already fantastic mothers! And when things worry you, this is a great place to get those fears off your chest and chat with people who can understand where you are coming from :)

I'm feeling pretty freaked out about it and have a year until ttc. I've been broody for a really long time but have a list of things we want to do first. We're already part way through that list and as much as im excited to ttc I'm also scared. This will be our first child and we have no idea what to expect!

I have to wait another year to start TTC but... I can definitely imagine the scared feeling. I thought I was pg a few months back (which is when I started becoming incredibly broody) and I woke up one night thinking omgosh we need to start a nest egg, I need to be at my job for at least 6 months, who is going to watch the baby when I go back to work, etc etc... it was like reality hit me because I really thought I was.

But I try to just think of it as.. if it's meant to be, it's going to happen.... ready or not. But you've planned, you've waited for this... and, to me, that means you will be an amazing parent! :thumbup:

Bless you, it's a completely natural feeling and when you do become pregnant with a rainbow the fear goes into overdrive and even when baby is here you will have moments of 'why did I do this'.

The thought of being completely responsible for a small human is terrifying. You have to feed, clothe, shelter, teach and guide them as they grow. It's an overwhelming responsibility.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->