New baby tips and tricks

Will remember that Vaseline tip. My first LO had his first poo right when the nurse was changing him. She literally just asked if he pood already and it shot out right on her clothes. We both laughed. It was funny.

I love this thread! I wish I could add a tip but the new born stage seems like such a blur, especially when it was nearly 6 years ago!

I'm off to put the vaseline in the hospital bag! & ill be purchasing some coconut oil. Thanks ladies xx

I live this thread, I'll be following!

The only thing I can think of that no one told us, and afterwards people would laugh and say "oh yeah that totally happens all the time!" Was when we would change dd when she was little bitty a few times she sneezed right after we took her diaper off and poop would shoot out, this happened three times to us. So I am sure to warn new parents of it.. it really caught us off guard and we had quite the mess on the wall!! :rofl:

Not about the new baby but what took me by surprise were the night sweats that happened for a week or so afterwards. I'd have to wipe myself down with baby wipes in bed, so gross! I had no idea that could happen 😁

Not about the new baby but what took me by surprise were the night sweats that happened for a week or so afterwards. I'd have to wipe myself down with baby wipes in bed, so gross! I had no idea that could happen 😁

I had that, but all day too. Were you holding a lot of water? I'm sure it was all the water I was carrying, I think I dropped a good stone in weight just from sweating.

A few we have discovered in the last week:

Our baby always pees and poos as soon as her nappy comes off. When she pees on the laminate style changing mat, it seeps into her clothes and we need to do a full body change, so we started chopping puppy training pads into four and laying them on her change mat - they soak up all the pee and save her clothes and the mat!

We were advised by the midwife that washing regular baby wipes through in warm water is a lot cheaper than buying water wipes and far more effective than using water soaked cotton wool. By using warm water we stop her screaming when the cold wipe touches her bum!

A few we have discovered in the last week:

Our baby always pees and poos as soon as her nappy comes off. When she pees on the laminate style changing mat, it seeps into her clothes and we need to do a full body change, so we started chopping puppy training pads into four and laying them on her change mat - they soak up all the pee and save her clothes and the mat!

We were advised by the midwife that washing regular baby wipes through in warm water is a lot cheaper than buying water wipes and far more effective than using water soaked cotton wool. By using warm water we stop her screaming when the cold wipe touches her bum!

I learned this with dd, if you undo the baby's diaper right before a change blow a slight puff of air onto their bits and put the diaper back up they usually will pee before you change them!!

And for ladies who use disposable wipes and don't have a wipe warmer, put the wipe between your warm boobs while getting the diaper ready, it warms it right up!! :)

Get a wrap. You may be one of those lucky people who has a baby that will be content to be put down, but they really are the minority. More likely, you'll be cooking, eating and pooping for the first 3-4 months with a baby in one arm. A wrap is a godsend. Our daughter also slept in it in the evenings for the first few months, which mean we actually got to eat dinner.

great thread! I would add get some nipple cream NOW if you plan on breastfeeding. I loved Earth Mama Angel Baby nipple butter. And swaddling was a must also the only way he would sleep would be on me, in the swing, or in the rock n' play.

I had that, but all day too. Were you holding a lot of water? I'm sure it was all the water I was carrying, I think dropped a good stone in weight just from sweating.

Me too! I dropped loads of weight from the sweating, totally caught me by surprise, it was so gross!

Mum's to be of little boys, when you take the nappy off it's very likely they will wee there and then! If you cover the willy with a baby wipe straight after removing the nappy it really helps not getting it the face!

great thread! I would add get some nipple cream NOW if you plan on breastfeeding. I loved Earth Mama Angel Baby nipple butter. And swaddling was a must also the only way he would sleep would be on me, in the swing, or in the rock n' play.

I second the earth mama angel baby nipple cream! And don't forget to pack it in your hospital bag!

Also one thing I'm doing differently this time is I made changing and nursing station bins for each floor of my house, the nursing station bins just have a water bottle, some snacks for me, nursing pads and burp cloths, the diaper changing bins are pretty obvious as to what's inside, diapers, wipes, and rash cream but this way I don't have to climb mountains of stairs every time I need to nurse/change a diaper.

I love everyone's tricks! Many of my tips and tricks revolve around how to leave the house with newborn twins. Bring extra diapers, a really (REALLY) good changing station, diaper covers, etc. If you want to see all of my favorite tricks, I made this list of what's in our diaper bag and how we use it all! I hope it helps. :) https://www.theydontfeedthemselves.com/newborn-twins-diaper-bag/

Great thread! a lot of good advice. This is my fourth baby and at one point or another the baby will probably get a diaper rash and the absolute best cream for that is Triple paste cream! followed by some powder. I have tried many others and nothing compares to it! its a little more expensive but well worth it.
with my first I was so amazed by him that I carried him and stared at him all the time at first which got him used to being carried and was VERY tough to deal with at night time and when your trying to get things done during the day. So with my others I have fed, changed, cuddled then put them down to get used to sleeping in bed and even being ok just staying there for a bit while awake.

So glad I found this thread. Great great tips especially about the cosleeping! Imy pretty sure I almost went certifiably insane with exhaustion had someone not mentioned it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->