New band for engagement ring?

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Connah'sMommy, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Connah'sMommy

Connah'sMommy Well-Known Member

My old white gold engagement ring is snapped from having it resized so we were going to look at getting the stone taken out but then having it set into another white gold band.

I have a new ring but id like this one to wear with it as my new one is just a diamond band.

Does anyone know how much it would cost to have it set into another band? or has anyone had it done before?

2. bigbetty

bigbetty Mammam to a princess

It would depend on the setting, how thick the band is, whether you have it in 9ct or 18ct gold....there are various things that can affect the price.

If you go to any reputable jeweller they will be able to give you a quote. Independant jewellers often have repairers on site, while chain stores may need to send the stone to their workshop so they can see it and give an accurate quote, but might be able to give you a rough estimate instore.

I worked in a jewellers before having Fran - used to dealing with queries like this lol.

I would definitely recommend getting a few quotes and looking around first before making a decision though xx

3. bigbetty

If you like the setting your stone is in at the moment, you can also have the shank replaced (the actual round, ring part), rather than having a whole new setting - that's another option xx

4. mrs_park

mrs_park Mummy to THREE BOYS!

I agree with getting a few quotes.

A couple of years back, I had new diamond set split wedding bands made. I looked around and got a few quotes before I found a jeweller I was happy with. I told him what I wanted and he sat down with me and drew it and quoted me, and then made exactly what I wanted. I didn't feel comfortable with the other jewellers I spoke too. I had waited a few years for the rings (we couldn't afford them when we got married, but DH promised me we would have them made when we had more money) and I would have been disappointed if they weren't "right"

5. Connah'sMommy

Connah'sMommy Well-Known Member

Thanks, i love the setting its just the band...im wanting a 9ct white gold band,not too thick...around 4mm?

I think were going out tomorrow to find a few jewellers :)xx

6. bigbetty

Just ask for a 3/4 shank replacement then hun - will be much cheaper than having it reset into a new ring xx