New Cot Mattress?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Club' started by sallymuffin, Jun 2, 2011.

1. sallymuffin

sallymuffin Well-Known Member

I'm sure this is a question asked many times but here goes anyways.

We've been given a lovely Mamas and Papas cot (including the mattress) from one of my OH work colleagues. When he said we could have it I said to OH that we will still need to get a new mattress. He happened to mention this to his colleague when picking it up and they got a bit funny about it saying "it's always been kept covered and cleaned".

Am I being silly/snobby wanting a new mattress or do you think it's essential to buy a new one? The mattress does look pretty much new and is a wipe clean covered sprung one so would this be ok to use again? CONFUSED!!!!!:wacko:

2. Bee_Weird

Bee_Weird Well-Known Member

I've read something about this before but not sure where...
    basically baby mattresses are different to our mattresses in that the first few layers are 'breathable', presumably so if your baby does manage to snuffle into them it's hard for them to suffocate
    through use this gets worn down so is less effective. i think.
    so it's not about the usual cleanliness/niceness issues, more of a safety thing. but it's up to you if you think it's ok, I'm sure many babies were raised on sharing mattresses. i know i was the fifth baby to sleep in my cot and i had no issues, except the bottom kept falling out! x x

3. Laws2008

Laws2008 Well-Known Member

I read somewhere that you should ALWAYS use a new mattress. Even if you have one baby and buy a cot and mattress and then have another baby yourself, you can still use the cot but you have to replace the mattress. It's better to be on the safe side with your baby and upset the work colleague than to keep the work colleague happy and cause problems for your baby. They won't know if you change it anyway!

4. tweedy

tweedy Well-Known Member

i have my cotbed and moses basket from my dd and will still get a new matress this time round, i read it in a number of places and woudl never forgive myself if something happened to lo for the sake of a few ££'s for a new matress and sheets.

5. KRB87

KRB87 Well-Known Member

I would personally get a new mattress - the two things that are recommended as new for each baby are the mattress and car seat. I think it's safety rather than hygiene.

6. sallymuffin

Yeah that's what I thought but I wanted to check I wasn't just spending money for the sake of it and being snobby etc. I know he'll never know, it's just sometimes really difficult to know what to beieve etc....

We've also had a second-hand moses basket and I'm getting a new matress for this. I never even questioned this though because a) it smells real funny and b) it's really dented in the middle (obviously where baby has been lying). I just wasn't sure if with a sprung matress I was being over cautious.

7. tweedy

tweedy Well-Known Member

we had a foam matress that came with our cotbed, when my daughter was old enough i got a fancy sprung one and it done her as a junior bed until a few months ago. i will get another foam matress for new baby, but keep the sprung matress, then when baby gets a bit bigger and heavier and risk of SIDS is much less, i will return the sprung matress and bin the foam one so that baby is better supported as a toddler.

our moses basket has been used for 3 other members of my family, so would be getting a new matress anyway, regardless of the guidlines.

8. sallymuffin

I think I will be telling OH that we need to get a new one, do you think a foam one will be sufficient - if it's got to be replaced anyway for a second baby I don't think there's much point in paying extra for a sprung one yet.

9. Treelo

Treelo Mum of 3

IMO yes you do NEED a new one, its not being snobby or anything else, its an essential. I have my cot, crib and moses basket from DS2 even though the mattresses were new and expensive good quality ones i am still buying new ones this time. I'm all for saving money and not over spending on baby items made that mistake on my 1st lol!! But new mattresses and car seats are things that i have to buy new well i might buy 2nd hand car seat off friend once i knew it was ok and not been in an accident or banged/dropped etc.

10. welshwarriors

welshwarriors Joseph & Charlotte's Mum

I would buy a new mattress just in case...i wouldnt feel comfy letting lo sleep on a mattress another baby slept on.

11. Seity

Seity Mom to Gabriel and Samuel

I don't know anyone who buys a new one unless they can't get a used one. But it seems like it's different here in the US. My LO has a used mattress that's been through at least 2 other babies before him.

12. Flake-y

Flake-y Proud mama & pregnant!

I would def get a new mattress. In all honesty, I'm sure there are millions of babies that have slept in used mattresses & not had any problems, but the main thing is that you don't know what's happened to the mattress or where its been; it could have been exposed to cigarette smoke, allergens, be seriousloy impregnated with dust mites, or have a lot of bacteria lurking in it. And if your baby is sleeping right next to it & there's a risk of breathing that in, I'd get a new mattress just to be on the safe side. Its what your midwife would recommend anyway.

13. Dukechick

Dukechick Wife & proud Mom of 2

There's NOTHING wrong with using a used cot mattress!! People and companies try to scare you to make more money :p

HOWEVER!!..... If you aren't sure what shape it's in, because it wasn't YOU using it, I say go buy a new one :) We're using our son's for our soon to be daughter, but it's because I know what that mattress has been through! xx

14. Sarahkka

Sarahkka Mama to Two Fine Boys!

I tend to agree with Dukechick.
    Personally, I really wouldn't worry about it, but if it is bothering you, then go ahead and replace it. In the end, it's not that much $$ for your peace of mind and that's what counts.

15. aimee-lou

aimee-lou Totally Outnumbered!!

Personal opinion - someone else had it so you don't know it's history - I would probably buy a new one. If it was my own (i.e we still have everything from DS) then I'd just carry on using that one as I know it's been cared for, never been sick on, etc etc.

16. ttcnewbie123

ttcnewbie123 Well-Known Member

I would buy a new one now and then use the same one for my future children x

17. Mummytofour

Mummytofour Mumtofive! BFing WTT!

I have used the same foam mattress for all four children but will be replacing it for this one as we had a visiting mouse in the attic where it was stored!:dohh:

I agree that guidelines only apply to secondhand mattresses NOT used by you first, not ones that have been passed to subsequent children in the same family.

Manufacturers just love the paranoia created by this myth!:growlmad:

As for replacing car seats that no one else has ever used....WHAT?!!! How much cash have you got, seriously?!!!!:wacko: Secondhand with no known history...yes, totally agree. But one YOU bought new.....!:wacko:

18. sallymuffin

I've found a foam matress cheap online so I'm going to get one of these I think. Thanks for all the advice everyone:)

19. Thistledown

Thistledown Well-Known Member

I think the issue with mattresses is that they're impossible to clean completely. Even from one baby to the next, it's a good idea to get a new one. The way I figure it, if your first baby was sick (and I'm not talking spit-up, but fevers, flus, etc), those germs could still be lurking in the mattress. Why expose the new baby to all that right from day 1? Plus all the dander from dust mites that could potentially be lurking in the mattress (even the plastic coated mattresses can develop little holes, and plastic breaks down over time). Plus, every time a mattress is used, it's getting less and less firm.

This is interesting:
    "The study compared 131 babies who died of SIDS in Scotland between 1996 and 2000, and 278 healthy infants. It was based on a questionnaire that controlled for the effects of socioeconomic status and other factors that could affect the risk of sudden infant death.

Overall, there was a threefold increase in SIDS deaths associated with a used infant mattress. A more detailed analysis of the questionnaires found that the risk was greatest if the mattress came from another home, the study says.

This is the second study to show an association between a used mattress and SIDS, Tappin says. He was involved in the previous study, which was published in 1997."
    https://preventdisease.com/news/articles/used_mattress_cause_sids.shtml

I get that babies are expensive and money can get tight, but I don't know. You can buy a new mattress for like, $100. There are so many other ways to save money, why nitpick over something that may increase the risk of SIDS?

20. Treelo

Treelo Mum of 3

Completely agree:thumbup:
    Im all for not over spending on baby items been there done that on DS1 spent a small fortune and really should of listened to friends and family that already had babies and bought more stuff in sales and 2nd hand BUT i wont use a used mattress even though it was DS2's and cost a bloody fortune at the time i would arther save money on other bits and buy a new mattress to be on the save side. No matter how well you store a mattress you have no idea of what is in the air and resting on it even in a press or where ever its stored. Its not worth taking the risk using a used one over the sake of a few pound, because godforbid if cot death did happen i would never ever forgive myself.