NEW! Friends on Femara

wifeybby

Reaction score
Hi ladies! I'm looking for anyone who is currently taking, or has taken Femara. I'd love to hear success stories, trials and tribulations; find a friend who has been in my shoes and knows how this feels.

I'm 25, DH is 26. We have been together since we were 18 and 19. I have PCOS with IR and hypothyroidism. I take 1500mg Metformin a day and 50mcg Synthroid daily. I take prenatals, and am considering Pregnitude/Inositol. I'm being monitored by an RE. I did six rounds of Clomid, ovulated 4 out of 6 times on it, but no BFP. We did IUI twice, but have no MF or cervical issues, just used it to boost our chances.

We are moving on to Femara this cycle! Looking forward to turning a new page in this journey.

I do see there are some Femara threads on here, but nothing seems too active. Hoping to get the conversation going, give and receive support and make new BnB buddies :) Hope to hear from you ladies soon!

:dust: to us all! <3

I started my first round of Femara this cycle, currently on CD 6. I ovulate on my own, but because my HSG test and my DH semen analysis came out fine, my doctor suggested Femara for "Superovulation". I'm just ready for something to work!

Thanks for the response, leigh! Nice to meet you! :wave:

I'm CD7 today so we'll be going through this together :) I hope you get awesome results and get 2 or 3 mature follies! Are they monitoring you with ultrasounds, or bloodwork?

I have took 2 rounds of Femara. I paired it with ovidrel trigger and did IUI. The first cycle didn't work but I did respond well and it helped me ovulate better. The second cycle I did get pregnant but it is most likely going to end in miscarriage. I have an ultrasound tomorrow to confirm. It was not femara related, just something wasn't developing right. I has helped me though and I hope it helps you too. I am going to ask my RE if I can take it and have some unmonitored cycles for a few months instead of doing the IUI because it is costly and we are paying out of pocket. Would rather save money for IVF in case we have to go that route. Good luck!

Thank you for the response, jcleary. I'm so sorry you may be going through a loss, my heart really goes out to you. :hugs: did you do Clomid before Femara? If so, did you respond to Clomid? Thank you for the well wishes, I hope it works for me too. We too pay out of pocket for IUI and it is expensive. I might end up doing one this cycle but I'd really prefer BD to bond with DH and save money/stress. You'll be in my thoughts tomorrow. :hug:

Tonight is my last dose. I've had some really mild hot flashes at night, but it's been nothing like the burning hot flashes of Clomid. My ovaries feel more sore and just noticeable this cycle already, as opposed to the tingling and twinges from Clomid. I feel like it is working differently than Clomid but will be ovulatory. I can't wait for my follie scan Monday to see what's going on in there! Starting OPKs Thursday/CD10.

No, my RE doesn't really prescribe clomid that much. He says he has seen more success and less side effects with Femara. It worked well for me and I only had mild side effects. Moodiness, some hot flashes, and that was pretty much it. I also took Progesterone suppositories though because my progesterone is low, so that may play a factor in my side effects. I had two mature follicles each month I was on it that measured perfectly and my lining was also where it should be. I hope it goes well for you Monday and you get good results.

Glad to hear from you. Hope you and your SO are doing okay and hanging in there. I think unmonitored cycles are the way to go financially. I do enjoy knowing exact info with the follie scans; but with any variation among temping, opks, checking cm and cp, it should be detected. Add in BD EOD and you'll be in with a great chance :) I hope you continue to get awesome results with it! Sounds like you had a great response!

I wondered why I wasn't just put on Femara to begin with since the statistics are better for PCOS dx. He said because it's not FDA approved for infertility. So, I guess I understand that, but I hope they do more research and let it be a first line of ovulation induction treatment in PCOS patients. Thank you for the well wishes! I will keep you posted on how it goes! :)

Hey Ladies,

I am waiting to start my cycle and then I will be using Femara for the 1st time. About 2 years ago I did 3 rounds of IUI's with Clomid and the last one had an HCG shot as well, all BFN. In those 2 years my husband and I moved twice so we put ttc on the side. More setting we are ready to try again, like you guys ready for something to work! My new RE says he keeps Clomid on the backburner as a back up but doesn't like to use it. He said it is great for ovulation but it dries things up making it hard for implantation, something along those lines. Im hoping Femara does the trick, and by the sounds of it they will be doing more monitoring as well which makes me feel better. He basically told me my 3 iui's were too early. Do you guys know anything about timing?
My previous RE had me do the trigger shot around 7pm, iui was first thing in the am. We also have to use donor and I know they don't last as long either. The new RE said he monitors frequently, triggers and then iui about 36 hours after.. big difference between both docs. Its hard to know who to believe, but doing something new is comforting!

Jcleary, I hope you aren't going through a MC. I am so sorry and will be thinking about you.
Sorry for the lengthy post! Look forward to your thoughts and FX!

Hi Mhankins! :wave: Sorry I didn't see your post sooner! Welcome! :)

I too have heard those things about Clomid being not-so-helpful other than ovulation. I have heard Femara doesn't cause those issues. I know how hard it is to go through all those rounds of Clomid and always get a BFN. It's awful. I'm sorry you've experienced that too. I hope that the change in medication does the trick for you and you catch that eggie!

Re: IUIs; I would say those were too early too. I think the best protocol is 36 hours after trigger. My RE always did it 24 hours after trigger, which I thought was a touch too early too but never argued it. I agree doing something new is comforting. When one thing fails, it feels so much better to switch it up a bit.

AFM, I had my FS Monday. I did respond, I had one 18mm follie on my R side. I do still have a small cyst on my L side though, and not thrilled about that. However, it doesn't seem to be a cause for concern. I am so thrilled and happy that Femara worked for me to ovulate! I was so worried it wouldn't. I would have liked to of seen 2 or 3 follies, but I know one is the goal/norm. I O'd yesterday and should expect AF or test around September 1st. I'm just on my knees praying and begging for this to work. At my FS, my RE scheduled me for a consult to talk about "whats next" after Femara. That kind of killed my confidence in this cycle, or Femara all together, but I suppose it is good to have a plan in place ahead of time, esp if we need to save money for injections or IVF.

Hope you ladies are doing well. Did you have a FS yet, jcleary?!

I miscarried so we are on a break. I just had the D&C Friday so we could do genetic testing. I have not gotten the results back. I meet with the RE on August 30th so I won't know what our next steps are until then. So right now just trying to heal and recover from our loss. Hope you all have good luck this month.

I had the trigger shot and IUI about 28 hours later. I was also nervous about timing, but it did work one month. We followed up with TI the morning after IUI so about 48 hours after trigger. Not sure if we got pregnant through IUI or TI but I would say probably IUI. Wish it would have been a healthy pregnancy, but glad to know I can get pregnant.

Thanks for the welcome!

I think I am a little out of touch here, its been a while since I have posted, what is FS? I'm sure it is obvious but I can't seem to think of what it could be.

Wifey: I am glad Femara seemed to work for you and helped you ovulate. At my first visit with the new RE he said that if a couple of rounds of Femara doesn't work we would start looking into injectables as well. I can understand where you are coming from. I was like whoa give this a shot since it is so much more expensive! My FX for you and I hope this is the one!!

Reading what everyone is saying about timing, seems to be that my IUIs were too early. Makes me so frustrated because that office already let me down. They never seemed to know my situation. I don't expect them to remember everyone that walks through their doors, however, at least read my chart before coming into the room. One visit they didn't even have the chart. So frustrating. Needless to say, I have more confidence with the new Dr. Hopefully it stays that way!

jcleary: I am so sorry to hear that! I can't imagine the pain you are feeling right! Please take care of yourself. Will be thinking about you.

I'm so sorry jcleary. :hugs: my mistake. I hope you and DH are healing and I'm sure you will get your sticky bean soon. Hang in there! My next RE appointment is on the 30th too; please keep in touch!

Mhankins, FS is follicle scan :) I normally go in on CD12-14 for a midcycle FS and then if I need more follie growth I go back in a couple days to see if it grew. That is disappointing that your last clinic did that, they should know better. I would call and ask them what the hell. I know it changes nothing now, but I wonder why they did that.

AFM, 1dpo. Going to bd tonight just in case to catch that egg, but bd this cycle is seriously such a chore for both of us. I went back to work after having all summer off, and it's been so hot and humid here my husband is so tired after work. O never has had the best timing for us in regards to our lives!

I knew it would be obvious! Ha ha. New RE will being doing frequent FS from the sound of it. That makes me feel better about getting the timing right.

wifeybby,
It is hot and humid here too making BD kinda hard. Husband is also tired after work. Seems like mornings are better for us, even if I have to sacrifice and wake up at 5AM before he has to go to work. LOL... he has slightly low T and it seems to be higher in the mornings.

I'm ready to try again after our miscarriage. I started my vitamin regimen back last night...ugh...I hate taking so many pills but know it will all help in the end.

Happy to hear your RE will be monitoring you closely with US, Mhankins! I wouldn't have it any other way. :thumbup: when is your first scan?!

That's wonderful you're ready to try again jcleary. I'm so sorry for your loss, and while I haven't been through one myself my heart goes out to you. I think it's very admirable and brave to dive back in. I hope you get your sticky BFP so very soon. <3 I hate taking so many pills too, and I don't even take *that* many.. Synthroid every morning, metformin AM and PM, prenatal gummies. I have no idea what I could take being on fertility meds, I always worry if I start a supplement it will mess up what my meds are doing. But then, I think it has to help to take something like OvaBoost or Pregnitude. What all do you take? Oh, and nothing is worse than trying to BD when it's just too hot or sleepy. It really sucks all the romance out of it. We have central air and a ceiling fan, but our upstairs just stays hot sometimes no matter what. Can't wait for fall and cooler temps!

AFM, I'm 2dpo. I wanted to BD yesterday so badly but was so tired. So was DH. I hope this TWW goes by fast though and I catch a BFP. FX!

Everything I have been taking is RE approved and because he told me to. I worried too about making things worse. I know some vitamins makes PCOS worse so I make sure to talk to him before anything. I have DOR so we are working on egg quality. Right now I'm taking:
Ova-vite (vitamin pack with a multi vitamin and Coq10 for egg quality)
75 mg DHEA
Folic acid
Pre-natal
Baby aspirin
Royal jelly
Vitamin D

I also have low progesterone so I am about to start using progressence essential oil. I've ordered it but it hasn't come in yet.

Let me know how the two week wait goes. Hoping you get good results

They are going to do the first scan day 1 of my next cycle which should come sometime next week. They want to make sure everything adds up and go from there. Then I will start the femara I'm guessing. As long as everything is okay.
A complex cyst was found on my left ovary with my previous Dr but he didn't see to be worried about it. I hope I can put it on the back burner for now. The way it was described in the notes made me worry. A lot of complex words and google made the worrying worse of course lol.

I just take a Prenatal Vitamin for now.. I was on Progesterone suppositories with my last 3 iuis. Really hoping those aren't need this go around, but whatever it takes.

FX for you both!

That does sound like a good handful of meds to take, jc. They all sound beneficial though, and that's great your RE approved/recommended them. I hope your sticky BFP is on the way, you deserve it so much.

Mh, that sounds about right! They call that CD1-4 scan the baseline scan, like you said to just make sure everything is okay before starting the meds. If you end up doing more than one round, expect one every cycle. They like to monitor for cysts, polyps, fibroids, all that junk. And google is our worst enemy when it comes to medical issues lol but if it helps, I would think if Dr wasn't concerned, you shouldn't be either. I really hope you like your new RE better and find that he does things on a better schedule for you!

I'm 3dpo today, obsessed with thinking how badly I want this cycle to be it! I'm just so tired of TTC and I'm ready for it to be over. DH and I have been together seven years, TTC for the past year and it's exhausting. It doesn't get any easier as time goes on, that's for sure. All my friends are having babies left and right. And I'm here waiting. And waiting. And waiting. Can't wait to see those two little pink lines someday. :cloud9: I don't think I'm going to test this month though, just wait out AF. Testing is so hard for me emotionally. I hate the BFNs, the shadows, the squinters, all the false hope. My LP is usually 14 days, but has been 18, so I'm not sure when I would test if she doesn't come on day 14.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->