New here! PCOS

rebecca28

Reaction score
Hello, i am new so i am not sure if this is the right place for this thread? I was wondering if any of you ladies have PCOS, and what are your symptoms? I believe i may have PCOS, although my doctor says that they don't want to test as there isn't much they can do unless i am trying to conceive, also they aren't too worried as i have conceived in the past with my now 6 year old son, when i was 21.

What leads me to believe i could have it is i have the excess hair - i regularly pluck hair from my chest, belly, face etc. I have a lot of hair on the tops of my legs which i shave.

The irregular periods - i have always had periods with no real pattern at all that i can see, even when trying to keep track. My last was 5 weeks ago and previously to that i went almost 4 months, before that 3 months. I believe as i have got older they may be becoming even more irregular and less frequent. Before i became pregnant at 21 i had periods every 2 months , sometimes longer sometimes shorter. My only way of knowing i am due on is V painful boobs for a week or so - no pattern.

Oily and spot prone skin, say no more :(.

After having my son, we had our share of unprotected sex on and off over 3 years before we sadly separated and i didn't fall pregnant.

I am in a new relationship now, we have spoken about children and waiting to try for in a year or so. I don't want to leave it much longer than 2 years, i just have a niggling feeling i may struggle to fall pregnant so want to give ourselves as much chance as possible.

I have never had a diagnoses of PCOS from a doctor or health professional, my assumptions and worries come from me seeming to have quite a few symptoms that could be associated with PCOS, and also i have a few friends who do have PCOS and have told me it sounds quite likely i do and thats its similar to what they have experienced.

I suppose i am not really sure what my question is, other than if there is a possibility i do have it, do i have to wait until i am trying to conceive again before tests are run or a diagnosis?

Thanks very much x

I have pcos with cysts and I found out when I was 21 and it took me 14 months to fall pregnant but the only symptom I had was coming off the pill and my periods were irregular from 24 days-48 day cycles when before the pill I had perfect cycles
Also pcos runs in my family so they were willing to test me young as my sister has it really bad and it took her 7 years to conceive and she has all the top signs hair growing, periods were so rare.
I say if you think you defiantly have it, it's worth getting tested just so you know if having children will be a bit difficult than planned

But so you know not all women with pcos have trouble conceiving so don't worry

I was diagnosed at 13 with pcos. They did blood work and I had ultrasounds and pelvic exams and such. Very traumatizing when you're 13! Anyway I have the typical pcos, cysts, irregular cycles, acne, weight issues, hirsutism (male pattern hair growth mostly my chin, sideburns and upper lip), insulin resistance, high testosterone, etc. I managed to conceive dd using Vitex. It's an herb, not a prescription. Regulated my cycles right up. That didn't work for me this time so I tried inositol, it's a b vitamin, and I've had 3 regular cycles with it so hoping it continues to work when we TTC come January.

Before I was TTC I was on birth control for years, but found it stopped working and the other kinds I tried didn't work either. I tried various creams and pills for the acne and facial hair, none of which worked.

It's definitely worth investigating even if you aren't TTC. Pcos can lead to serious blood sugar issues such as diabetes. And cysts can be very painful and can burst and whatnot. A lot of doctors first go-to is metformin which regulated blood sugar I believe and can regulate cycles. I used it a bit when I was first diagnosed, but didn't find it helped much. But I was young and it was a lot of pills back then and who knows why it didn't work for me. I would definitely see if a doctor can run blood work and an ultrasound. See if you do have pcos, what kind. There are different forms and each require different treatment.

But don't worry it's not a death sentence to TTC plans! I conceived dd without any medication, just herbs and vitamins. And am hoping to do it again!

I found out I had PCOS when I was in my early 20s. The doctors weren't really bothered because I wasn't trying for a baby. They also told me I'd have no problem conceiving because I'm not overweight. I have acne and the hair in similar places that you mentioned. We are now at the 10 month mark of TTc and my cycles are pretty long and irregular. I'd agree with you and suggest not leaving it too long. Plus when you do start, if it hasn't happened in 6 months, I would suggest getting things checked out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"