New to BF and finding it harder than 1st thought, how long is enough to feed?

Scrubs

Reaction score
Hello,

I am a proud mum of Oscar who is 12 days old today. I am attempting to breast feed and so far so good although the beginning was tough and I had to stay in hospital longer than I wanted as we couldn't get to grips with the feeding...I got so stressed I discharged myself.

Oscar is currently feeding every 3 hours ( time is taken from when he starts his feeding so you could say every 2 to 2/12 hours otherwise!) and he has really bad wind bordering on colic bless him.

I am confused a bit as to how long he needs to feed for. He sometimes feeds for 20 mins, 25 mins but today only needed about 10 to 15 mins?

He is doing lots of wet nappies and when he manages to get them out, poos as well but is 10 mins really enough?

I will start a new thread on the pressure to breast feed (although I want to anyway) but welcome any advice on length of feeding time.

Hang in there if you can and if it works for you... BF is definitely not easy for everyone. I was reading something last night about how a baby needs a mom who is at ease and lower in stress, more than they need a mom who is miserable/stressed from breast feeding. It is a personal decision -- and any amount you do (or have done) is good. :)

I would say if he has wet diapers (nappies) I would not worry he is getting enough. Some suck better and ten minutes is all the need. Plus, if you let down like I do he would be stuffed with ten minutes! :)

they do get better at sucking, and it can be worrying. I remember Finn taking 20 mins and now 10 mins is a long feed. But I say if the nappies are wet and the weight is going on, then trust your babies appetite.

Sounds pretty normal to me. Sometimes he may just want a bit of a snack more than a full meal. I know I eat that way sometimes as well.

have you got any bf counsellors/advisors in your area? i was feeling worried that oliver was not getting enough, we had a visit from an advisor who wnet through evereyhtin and really boosted my confidence,

I'm by no means an expert, considering I've only been breastfeeding for 9 days, but my daughter only feeds for about 10-15 minutes and only has had a few 20+ minute feeds since she was born. I got yelled at in the hospital because she wasn't feeding longer.

However, I went and saw a lactation consultant on Monday (we were discharged last Saturday) and she was almost already back up to her birthweight. By Friday she was 8oz over her birthweight. The lactation consultant told me that if she's wetting enough diapers and having enough poos, she's more than likely getting enough and to enjoy that she only feeds for 15 minutes. :)

Lucas is a quick feeder to, I used to let him feed for as long as he wanted and he would come off on his own, like Oscar it could be 25 sometimes 10 as long as he is getting lots of wet nappies then sounds good to me.

If he is still hungry then he will let you know.

Have you tried Infacol for the wind and colic ? I only wish we'd discovered it earlier, I think it can be used from birth but I didn't get any until he was 3 months and thinking back I can't believe no-one reccommended it to us before because it really made a difference.

In the early days Ilana would feed for an hour, easily... now she can be done in ten minutes and half an hour is a long feed. I expressed by hand the other day and got 90ml in 5 minutes - imagine how much a baby, who is much more efficient, can get in ten!!! Ilana put on a pound and a half in just under 2 weeks and wees like an elephant, so I'm sure she's getting plenty!

Congrats to all new moms here, u should feed ur baby both sides each feed with a burp and also a tip: start on a different side each time eg if u give baby a feed on left side next feed begin on the right side, to keep milk balanced

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->