New to cloth diapering!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by Honesty, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Honesty

Honesty Baby #4 in the Making :)

I'm new to cloth diapering, I only been doing it for about 2 weeks with my 23 month old daughter. Just practicing before baby gets here. So far I only have a large wet bag, 7 cloth diapers (2 bum genius freetime, 2 bum genius 4.0, 1 tots bots, 1 fuzzibunz, and 1 kawaii), I'm also waiting for my diaper sprayer to come in. Does anyone have any advice they would like to share? What brands are real good and have lasted a good while? And what would you be using to cloth diaper your newborn? I really want to start cloth diapering as soon as baby is born so I was thinking of going the least expensive way which is about 24 Prefolds and 5 -6 covers. What do you ya'll think?

2. Honesty

Oh and thanks in advance!

3. spinneybaby

spinneybaby Well-Known Member

I really like pocket diapers...I don't have any experience with prefolds so i can't really compare but we used fuzzi bunz for the first year with DS...then he became such a heavy wetter that I switched to disposables. This time, I am using my fuzzi Bunz stash but they are the older kind that are sizes rather than one size fits all and after going through 5 kids (not all my kids), they are getting a little stretched out in the legs so we are also purchasing some Alva Baby pocket one size diapers in cute girly prints. which are only like $10/diaper so much less expensive than fuzzibunz with great reviews. A local shop sells them as well as all other types and has nothing but good things to say about them. My advice would be make sure you use proper cloth diaper detergent to prevent build up...Rockin Green is our favorite. it's a little pricey but you only need a table spoon for a High efficiency washer or 2 for a normal older top load washer so it lasts a good year! if you are breast feeding, you don't even need a diaper sprayer until baby starts solids cause breast milk poo is completely water soluble and will wash away really well. once baby starts solids, you can buy liners that are biodegradable and when they poo, you just throw the poo and liner in the toilet and flush it away then wash the diaper as normal. Good luck...we love cloth diapers and my son never once had a siaper rash until we switched to disposables at one year...in hindsight, I should have looked for more options but we are learning from our mistakes this time around!

4. Honesty

Thanks I been doing my research but there are so many diapers to choose from....

5. juhnayrae

juhnayrae Well-Known Member

DH and I are planning to cloth diaper our LO. My SIL and brother did it with my niece and I loved it. I can't really share any expertise, but I totally want to stalk this thread to see if there's anything I could learn too :)

6. Mjane84

Mjane84 Well-Known Member

I am doing prefolds, too! Seriously, it is the most economic and best choice for us. We took a class, and I am lucky to have several friends that cloth diaper, so they have given us a lot of good advice. Prefolds was suggested over and over again to us.

I do have some other pocket diapers and all in ones that I've picked up here and there, but my main stash will be prefolds with snappies and a cover.

7. Emmy1987

Emmy1987 Mummy to a princess!

I'm going against the grain here, hated prefolds! I use them to stuff pockets now lol.
    For newborn we are using little lamb fitteds with wraps, tots bots teenyfits and tiny nippers newborn. I'm also making my own pocket nappies, I tested my first one on a friends LO today and it was a success :)

For DD we have a mixture of all in ones and pockets

Just remember fabric conditioner is a no-no ;)

8. Honesty

Thanks ladies... Aren't fitted diapers more expensive than prefolds? I just don't want to spend a whole lot of money if baby will be growing out of them in a matter of a month or two. I will be investing in a lot of one size diapers though...

9. Mrs.Mcguin

Mrs.Mcguin Mom of 3

I bought 21 alva one size fits all pocket diapers. I did a lot of research before buying them and found these are the cheapest and best route for us. I ordered mine in bulk so it ended up coming to about $4 a diaper.

10. Honesty

I've heard a lot of good reviews to but I've also read some not so great reviews. I've seen quite a few people complain about them delaminating on the second wash. But I guess it wouldn't hurt to try. Maybe I should order a few and see how they work for us.

11. Mrs.Mcguin

Mrs.Mcguin Mom of 3

I just finished giving my diapers a good wash to strip them to get them ready for when little one comes. I boiled them then soaked them over night in dawn and rest of the process to get rid of all the residue and they turned out great! Now I'm just waiting to put them through the real test when baby comes ;)

12. Honesty

stripping the diapers seems like a lot of work! Lol But I'm willing to learn!

13. Jessica0907

Jessica0907 Well-Known Member

I'm just barely starting a cloth diaper stash. I've only bought 1 so far haha. I bought a rumparooz pocket diaper, one size fits all. The darn thing was $26 but its super amazingly soft. I plan on buying a few kawaii next. I've read good and bad. I've read that the lining starts getting matted after a few washes, but I think people writing those reviews were drying them which is a big no no. I also heard they are made in china in a factory that's not paying employees well. Some women say they don't trust what the diaper is made of. I just want to try one pack of 8 because the price is so reasonable and I've heard good things a out them being leak proof. But I'm a big proponent of fair wages so I don't know. We will see. I also was gonna buy a few fuzzibunz, Charlie banana, and bum genius 4.0. I have very little interest in prefolds but may buy a few for backup around the house. All I want are pocket diapers heh.

14. Aready

Aready Well-Known Member

I'll add my two cents! :) I too started out with prefolds and covers. I HATED THEM. I am not sure why it never occurred to me that with prefolds my baby would always be wet. I just didn't like that. I ended up buying pockets instead and liked them much more. I just used the prefolds to stuff them. The cotton prefolds are nice because once they are prepped they are easy to clean. The prepping is awful though, so if you buy pockets from the get go you won't have to deal with that.

I wanted cheap pockets too so I bought Sunbabies and I really like them. I don't love them as much as my bumgenius, but they are WAY cheaper at about $5 a piece.

15. Honesty

I'm only using prefolds for the newborn stages since I read that a lot of the one size diapers don't work well on newborns. I just don't want to invest so much money on sized diapers. I also want to get some sun baby diapers I've heard great things about them.

16. Emmy1987

Fitteds tend to come in two sizes (I know little lambs do for the most part, they have a third size but they are for 35+lb), so first size should fit from newborn to 18/20lb. But it does depend on size of baby. I make big babies it seems so I'm not so concerned about getting lots of teeny tiny nappies as they'll only last a couple of weeks :(

17. Mum2BKW

Mum2BKW Well-Known Member

We have 20 TotsBots Easyfits and also 5 TotsBots TeenyFit for when LO is first born, apparently the Teeny ones aren't really necessary but I just loved them as they're so dinky! They arrived yesterday and I'm so excited to use them :cloud9:

The 20 EasyFits are enough to last a baby from birth to potty and cost us £295. Since you'd spend upwards of £1200 on disposables in the same timeframe (£1800 according the the Guardian but I have no idea where they buy their nappies!) we're so chuffed with our thrifty thinking :happydance:

18. Aready

Aready Well-Known Member

I always just use disposables until they are big enough to switch to one-sized cloth. I didn't want to deal with diapers specifically for a newborn and wanted to minimize my costs with one size :)

19. Emmy1987

Aren't the teenyfits THE cutest things ever?!!!

Bought 6 more nappies for bump today :blush: although one is a Father's Day present for OH (should get a pic today or tomorrow will post it here when I can!

20. Honesty

This lady on Craigslist is selling 12 Lil joeys for $100 is that a good price for used diapers?