New to cloth ...help !

Ablaski17

mommy to a little girl<3
Reaction score
I did read the how to guide but I am still confused. I have a couple questions ...

1. The one size pockets can someone explain them alone with the all in ones ?
2. Which are the best to use ?
3. How do you wash them? And how do you get rid of the poop ?!
4. The one size , can they be used with 2 kids @ the same time ? I have a 1 1/2 year old and due in September.
5. What do you do when your not home ?
6. Any other useful info would be great thank you so much !

1. The one size pockets can someone explain them alone with the all in ones ?

A pocket nappy is like a waterproof cover with fleece (normally) inside. There is an opening in the fleece so you can slip an insert in between the layers so that the waterproof bit is on the outside, then you have the absorbent insert and then the fleece next to baby's skin.

All in ones are literally all-in-one, nothing to take apart or stuff into pockets. In use, pockets and AIOs are very similar once you've stuffed the pockets. However, AIOs can take a lot longer to dry because you can't separate out the layers for drying.

The one-size bit refers to the fact that there are normally snaps on the front of the nappy to adjust its size. Generally, these will fit a baby who is 6 weeks old to being a toddler. They often don't fit a newborn very well (no matter how big they are born) because newborns have a different shape e.g. OS nappies didn't fit my LO well until she was about 4-5 weeks old, even though she was 9lbs when born. I know of other babies who were born at 6lbs but the OS nappies still fit at about 4-5 weeks because their shape changes.

2. Which are the best to use ?
There is no answer to this question! It's like asking which is the best car, or best cereal. Different things suit different babies and different situations e.g. we like bamboo nappies because they are very absorbent but they might not suit somebody with limited drying space or no tumble dryer as they can take ages to dry. Best thing to do if you can't decide is to post your requirements and how you plan to use them and see what people recommend. Don't expect one answer though - there are many options.

3. How do you wash them? And how do you get rid of the poop ?!
Generally, you put them in a dry bucket until wash day. You tip any poo down the loo. Some people use flushable liners to catch the poo and then just chuck that away. When it comes to washing, you can normally just use the detergent you'll use for baby's clothes, but only use a very small amount, like 1/4 the normal amount. Do an extra rinse at the end and then dry them.

4. The one size , can they be used with 2 kids @ the same time ? I have a 1 1/2 year old and due in September.
They can but as I mentioned before, they may not fit a newborn. Personally I would find it a bit of a faff to be changing the sizes of the nappies all the time too, so I would probably have half set up for each and only swap sizes in an emergency! You'll still need enough for two babies anyway.

5. What do you do when your not home ?
Change baby as normal, then put the used nappy in a wetbag (waterproof and smell proof nappy bag) and bring it home.

6. Any other useful info would be great thank you so much !
I wouldn't even consider trying to find one type of nappy straight away and then buying a bulk lot of them. It's a very good way to waste your money! Instead, try out a few different types to make sure they will suit your LO and your lifestyle, then buy more.

^ Rachel gave the perfect answer there, as always!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->