New to Forum, First IVF cycle in May

Aleriya

Reaction score
Hi! :kiss:

We are starting out first IVF cycle in May. We start the first dose of Estrofem on Monday. Then we are doing a stimulated IVF cycle with a 5 day transfer. No matter how much information we read, it never feels enough. I look forward to talking to others who are going through this, or have been through this. Sometimes it is just easier to have a chat with people going through the same situation.

How often do people have success on their first cycle? Am I setting myself up for disappointment? I'm overly excited. I have been compiling a list for everything for the nursery etc...and there is not even a baby yet. The egg retrieval is on the 15th of May and the 5 day transfer is the 20th. Is it good to keep hopes up? Or is it better to be more reserved? What have you guys done in your previous cycles?

Is there anything in addition you guys do to try and up chances of a successful implantation? I know the special food end are myths/old wives tales...etc...

Did any of you use the embryo glue? We are going to use that this cycle. The Dr. said we didn't need to worry about the scratch for our first attempt. So, we aren't using it the first attempt, but if it fails she said we could try it for future attempts.

Regards,
Aleriya

Hi Aleriya :wave:

I have been through 6 failed IUIs (all BFNs) and 2 IVFs, one that resulted in a CP and the 2nd that resulted in my now 6½ month old son. I'm turing 38 in May btw, my DH is turning 40 in July.

I'm not sure about the 1st cycle but read that women with top chances of IVF success have per-cycle success rates of 40% or higher (which is higher than trying naturally which is 15-20%). I always like to be reserved but I can be a bit pessamistic. I tend to be hopeful but not so hopeful that if things go wrong, I'd get super upset.

As for upping chances I don't think there's much to all that but I did take Royal Jelly for a few months (it supposedly improves egg quality) before as I was 36 going on 37. Figured it couldn't hurt but have no idea if it actually helped or not:shrug:

I live in Denmark so things may be a bit different here. Nope we didn't use any extra techniques e.g. the glue. I don't think the hospital I went to put much stock in them. They felt that my lining was good and either an embie would stick or it wouldn't. I did have implantation for the 1st IVF but it was a CP which unfortunately is the vast majority of the time due to genetic abnormalities in the embie. I would say if nothing points to anything specific being an issue, I'd personally just do IVF without any of the fancy extra techniques. But if you want to try any of them, then just ignore me and do it:winkwink:

FXed for you two :dust:

Everyone's journey is unique to them so there is no right or wrong as far as letting yourself get excited or anticipating the worst throughout the process. Everyone told me not to get my hopes up or plan beyond the tww but I did, and I wouldn't have done it any other way. Meditation and visualizing success helped me to cope, and I even went so far as to make an Amazon registry list (set to private) to occupy my time and spinning thoughts. If it wouldn't have worked I'd have crossed that bridge when I came to it and knew I'd find a way to get through it either way. The way I look at it, just having the chance was an amazing blessing. If one stifles excitement until they find out it worked, then what? A positive beta doesn't mean there will be a second. A positive second doesn't mean one will ever make it to 12 weeks, viability week, delivery or age 2. I personally celebrate life for what it is until it gives me a reason not to. Every chance IS a chance, and that's more than many couples ever get unfortunately, so I chose to revel in the gift.

Our RE suggested taking no supplements outside of our protocol. While they make work for some, they may also hinder success for others. We chose to put full trust in the doctor's auto-pilot plan for my body. Not knowing how or if the body will respond to outside OTC influences, it wasn't worth the risk.

One thing it's helpful to be aware of, is that those dates you offered could very well change. If there are complications with follie overproduction or OHSS a cycle can be cancelled entirely. It happened to a member here who was on the journey at the same time as we were. They were understandably initially devastated but afterward went onto a complete a successful FET cycle that ended in the birth of twins. If on the other end of that spectrum your partner is a slow responder, she could end up with additional stim days (the delay and expense of needing more meds and time was a surprise for us).

We didn't use glue or the scratch technique and were successful our first and only attempt.

You sound optimistic and that's a good thing in any event. I wish you both all the luck in the world. It's a hell of a journey but one that is worth it in the end - whether that end result is a baby, or just the peace of knowing you did absolutely everything you could to achieve your dream. If you're open to it, join in on a group of others with a similar timeline. Being able to talk to others going through it right along side me helped tremendously. Sending loads of babydust your way!

I agree with what the other poster above said about average odds being approximately 40%, but that number can be drastically different depending on personal circumstances.

Without IVF our odds of conception were about 2%. With IVF our odds jumped to about 65-70% because I implanted with no assistance first attempt twice before, had no history of miscarriage and carried my first two (close to) term before. My body was healthy and already knew exactly what to do extremely well - ours was simply a swimmer problem that was easily overcome with ICSI.

Hi All,

I am brand new to all of this too, Aleriya I know how you are feeling :)

I am 37, and I am a new patient at Herts & Essex, my AMH is 6.7, which is really low for my age

We are doing ICSI and probably the short protocol, we are starting ICSI as my other half had a failed vasectomy reversal, but have now also found out that I have low AMH levels, which was a shock and I am really worried we wont have success. A friend of mine, who is 42 and had a few attempts at IVF has the same AMH as me and has now been told she only has a 5% chance

Has anyone had positive results with such a low AMH at 37/38? Is there any hope? I have no idea of the percentage of success

Also, I have a pipelle & SIS booked in for next friday and I am terrified after reading awful stories about it on Google!

Has anyone else had this done at Herts & Essex? If so, can you let me know what it was like? Is it really unbearable?

Thank you to anyone that replies

Jo

Aleriya- stay positive. Myself I know a few ladies and have also come across a few posts on forums of ladies who got pregnant at the first try. Friends of mine got pregnant on their second try, but they combined their iivf with pgs ngs cs of their age. x

Hi All,

I am brand new to all of this too, Aleriya I know how you are feeling :)

I am 37, and I am a new patient at Herts & Essex, my AMH is 6.7, which is really low for my age

We are doing ICSI and probably the short protocol, we are starting ICSI as my other half had a failed vasectomy reversal, but have now also found out that I have low AMH levels, which was a shock and I am really worried we wont have success. A friend of mine, who is 42 and had a few attempts at IVF has the same AMH as me and has now been told she only has a 5% chance

Has anyone had positive results with such a low AMH at 37/38? Is there any hope? I have no idea of the percentage of success

Also, I have a pipelle & SIS booked in for next friday and I am terrified after reading awful stories about it on Google!

Has anyone else had this done at Herts & Essex? If so, can you let me know what it was like? Is it really unbearable?

Thank you to anyone that replies

Jo

Try to remember that there are so many factors that go into success rate guesstimates. I'm sure though that if there was no hope your doctors would have told you that and wouldn't allow you to invest your time, money, pain and emotion into the process for no reason.

I never had a pipelle test (here called endometrial biopsy), but I did have the SIS. There was a twinge when the catheter was inserted, but beyond that it didn't hurt (or even feel a bit uncomfortable) for me at all anyway. In the grand scheme of our protocol I'd venture to say it was one of the easiest things I had to do :thumbup:

I'm in the States so have no insight into clinics across the big pond, but I wish you luck as you embark on your journey :flower:

Thank you everyone for your messages. I'm sorry, I have not been around my computer lately, nor had the time to. I am grateful for all of your messages.

KatO79 congratulations on your little one! That is great!! :)

Messica, we are currently in the situation similar to what you wrote about. The dates are completely thrown off. She took the estrofem for the 7 days as she was told, and now she is nearly a full week late in her cycle. She's always been a 28 day cycle. However, today is Saturday and she was due Monday. The nurse at the clinic said this can be normal for some. So, here is hoping she doesn't miss a cycle.

Jo1979, I wish you the best of luck on your cycle. I'm not sure what AMH level is considered "normal" for age 37, but at least with a lower number there is less of a chance of over-stimulation. So, that is a positive! :) I know fertility and treatments can be very dreary and hard. My thought pattern is just to try and stay positive and optimistic. Who knows maybe if the brain tells the womb that it can do it, then the positivity will flow in that direction. I can be a little overly optimistic at times though, which can cause me to get a harsh slap of reality. However, I prefer to live in my fantasy world.

The SIS didn't seem to be too bad, just uncomfortable, if that is any consolation. My partner was a trooper through it. The most "painful" part she said was the mild cramping the next day. So don't forget to take your neurofen or whatever OTC pain reliever they suggested at your clinic before the SIS.

Hi mimi4, I wanted the PGS but our clinic doesn't do it, because of my partners eggs age. They won't use my eggs in Ireland since we have donor sperm because there is no "surrogacy" it's a joke really, since my eggs are only 33 years of age. We are doing the 5 day transfer of the blastocyst though. I'm glad things worked out so quickly for the people you know. That gives me additional hope! :) Provided her cycle ever starts, lol.

Warm Regards,
Aleriya

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"