New to IVF and in need of guidance

meggabear

Mommy, daddy and Caiden
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm hoping everyone is doing well. I've met with an IVF doctor and aside from the expenses being intimidating I've found some other things that scare me. When they go to retrieve the eggs does the needle they insert to get them hurt badly after? I've never seen such a thing and to be honest my heart leapt into my throat. Are any of you lovely ladies willing to share your experiences to calm my nerves?

Hi!

I am also new to this process, I start my first IVF cycle in around 2 weeks time when my period arrives.

I've obviously not been through it yet but I've watched lots of journeys on youtube and it does seem that the egg retrieval part is uncomfortable but you should be drowsy from the sedation so with any luck it won't be too painful for us! I'm not expecting it to be pain free though. I don't think any part of the journey is!

xx

Hi
I was always sedated for ec and didn't feel a thing. Few cramps and a little bleeding after but really nothing to worry about. If find out from your clinic how they do ec and if you can be sedated. I've always been awake for et and that's absolutely fine too.

Depending on what drugs you have, some of the injections can be a bit stingy but again nothing to worry about. And I promise it'll all be forgotten when you get your bfp!!

Any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Good luck. Xx

Hi, we went through IVF in December. I was sedated for egg retrieval so did not feel anything, and I was pretty drugged up afterwards. I did have the day of the egg retrieval off work, and then I took the following day off to rest as well. I didn't think I would need it, however after two days I realised how glad I was to have taken the day off afterwards. You think you're fine, but the rest really helps bring you back to feeling 100%.

As for the whole process, I was scared of it all. I'd never been in a hospital and had surgery or anything until IVF.

I'm now 37 weeks pregnant, and I would do it all again in a heartbeat.

Good luck! xx

Hope it's ok for me to join and ask some questions please? We have our first consultation on 27th of this month with the hope of starting IVF with icsi by January.
I think it will probably be recommended that we do a single embry transfer, and I wondered what you thought about this and if it significantly lowers chances of success? As this will be our one and only chance x

Hope it's ok for me to join and ask some questions please? We have our first consultation on 27th of this month with the hope of starting IVF with icsi by January.
I think it will probably be recommended that we do a single embry transfer, and I wondered what you thought about this and if it significantly lowers chances of success? As this will be our one and only chance x

We had a single embryo transfer, and it went well. i think having multiple embryos transferred can have benefits and disadvantages. Our clinic in Australia would only do single unless it was medically necessary. Say perhaps you had multiple failed IVF cycles, low quality embryos etc.

Also, don't let the process dishearten you... As hard as that can be. We were 26 when told we would need IVF, and that alone was hard to take in. Then on egg retrieval day I had 5 eggs retrieved. I felt devastated as everyone else I had read about had 10 or more, many more eggs than what we had. Add to that, hubby had a low count which meant we would need IVF, but on the day his count was extremely low, so they said it was best to go ICSI with all eggs.mimbroke down after the embryologist left as I thought we were out already.

All I could think of is there's only 5, we'd be lucky if 60% took and didn't collapse with the ICSI, and then if they made it to day three. We ended up with a 100% fertilisation rate for all 5 eggs, and all made it to the transfer day. They transferred one embryo, and we have four frozen so it worked out great even though it didn't feel like it at the time. Remain positive :hugs:

I know you say this is your only chance, if you get a few eggs like we did, the remaining ones can be frozen in case you need to try again. Then it is much cheaper as you don't need the egg retrieval, hospital stay, ICSI process etc so you could have some left over just in case you need to go through a frozen transfer... I hope you get a first time success though. Wishing everyone going through this process the best of luck xx :thumbup:

Hi I was a bit sedated during egg collection but was completely awake and didn't feel a thing, you really will be fine it doesn't hurt

Elmo, I dont think it lowers your chances, from what ive read there isnt more of a chance from transferring 2 and you could just be wasting an embryo or risking a multiple pregnancy which some people wouldn't like, I transferred a single and will be doing so again for mt next transfers after this ones here

Hi
I've had 2 a grade 2 day fresh embies back with bfp; 2 a grade 2 day fet bfn and 1 a grade 5 day blast with bfp. Factors such as age can determine how many your clinic will recommend. As an old bird I can pretty much have as many as I like!! But you will also need to consider embie quality as well as what day your clinic does transfer when thinking about single or multiple transfer. You also have to go with your gut feeling. With dd's cycle I was willing to risk twins so had 2 and in hindsight am glad I did as 1 didn't implant. What if we'd chosen the "other" to put back? With this cycle as the embie was a 5 day blast, our donor had really good success rates and we didnt want to risk twins we went for set. Remember even one embie can split into identicals!
Xx

Thank you that's really encouraging!

Could I please ask you to have a look at these results from last SA and tell me from your point of view if there is anything in there that might lead the Dr to say that even icsi won't work?

His last SA his morphology normal forms had dropped to 2% we had read that 4% was considered ok for a average healthy male but now it is only 2% - however his over all count was 211 million, with 48 million per ml. Because the count was good, am I right in thinking that means the low morphology poses less of a problem, because 2% of 48 million is still a lot? (our main problem is sperm antibodies by the way) x

I would say 2% is ok for icsi, the whole point is they select the best swimmers and also give them a hand in!! I would say tho that if you're just starting the process there is lots your oh can do to improve his numbers. Sperm takes up to 12 weeks to develop. Get him on a good vitamin, cut out cigs, drugs, alcohol, lots of healthy eating. Sounds boring I know but I will make a difference. I remember dh did one test which was ok, went on a weekend bender, did another test and it was shocking!! Xx

Yea I have already got him on 1000mg vitamin C, improved diet, he doesn't drink, but I have got to get him off the cigs once and for all!! x

Thank you everyone! This helped me calm down a bit, you would think having gone through two c-sections and I'd be fearless! it must be something about needles in places i've never imagined that triggered it I guess,, I'm happy to know it doesn't hurt :) We're thinking of starting our first cycle in January if the urologist feels that DH is better off with IVF vs a reversal. Either way fingers are crossed that things work well. same to all of you lovely ladies *hugs*

Megabear we are also hoping to start in January, would love to be buddies! X

Our consultant wasn't prepared to transfer more than one emby, he said because of my age and because I've been pregnant before that there's no reason why one shouldn't work.

I am in the mindset though that because it is costing us so much money and also that we would be happy if with twins that I'd rather have 2 transferred. We've paid almost £6000 for IVF with ICSI and don't have the money just like that to go another round so I'm pinning all my hopes on this first time working.

xxx

for my egg collection I was also sedated and totally out of it. didn't feel a thing nor did I feel anything after. Try not to worry. The whole process of IVF in terms of procedure is daunting but the EC really wasn't that bad.

In regards to the number of embryos to replace, I personally would say only one. The UK is all over that really and only in very specific circumstances would they replace more than one (mostly due to advanced maternal age). Have a read of this campaign https://www.oneatatime.org.uk/ It is far safer for you and bubs to carry one not two+

From my IVF I had my little boy and then had 3 embryos frozen. One didn't work but the second one did and I'm 18 weeks preggo with number 2. even if you only have one go at IVF there is still chance to try again with frozen blasts xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->