New to IVF - what should I expect? Bourn Hall Clinic

Pickletilly

Mum to twin girls
Reaction score
Hi ladies. We have been referred to bourn hall clinic in Cambridge (uk). Our seminar is on 17th feb, and our first consultation on 23rd feb. Does anyone have any previous experiences with BHC? What happens in the seminar? What are time frames like from start (first injection) to finish (emb transfer) of treatment? Does egg collection hurt? Do the hormones really send you loopy?

I heard you start injections from cd1 or close to, which for me would be 4th March. The issue I have is I really want to start then/asap and I'm aware you're required to keep going back for scans to monitor progress, but I'm going on holiday on 16th April. So I'm just wondering if they're gonna make me wait until May. I know that's not years away but I feel pretty down about waiting after already waiting so long for this.

Any info on how your journey with ivf went/is going would be really appreciated.

:dust:

Hi Pickletilly,

We are now in the TWW following our first IVF cycle (short protocol).
I had no idea what to expect so like you was unsure and if I'm honest a bit scared.

I have no experience of your clinic but the process is similar wherever you go.

The information evening will answer most of your questions just remember to take notes - they can scoot through it and you don't really understand what they are saying.

Injecting is absolutely fine when you get used to it, in fact it's more irritating having to remember than anything else! :haha:

Egg collection is under sedation and local anaesthetic so you won't feel anything. I was a little sore afterwards but just like period pains and I had my transfer today and didn't feel a thing - I wasn't even aware it was over and it was so quick!

My time frame was AF 26 Jan, injections same day, egg collection 7 February and transfer 12 February, so not long from day 1 to end really.

I am guessing the next two weeks will be two of the longest of my life but we're hoping it will be worth it :dust:

Wow, good luck! Hope you have a super happy bfp :hugs:

So you injected for roughly two weeks? Cause I heard something about down regulating or something for two weeks and then a different set of injections for two more weeks.

All this is very confusing! I will take a notepad to the seminar for sure.

Thanks for your info, fx for your bfp!

Hi Pickletilly,

I wanted to respond to you as I've undergone treatment at BH in Cambridge on 2 occasions in the past year. I'll try to answer your questions and give you a run down of my experiences but if there's anything else you want to know, just ask. I apologise in advance if this is long but I'm going to try to cover everything.

The seminar normally lasts for around an hour. You're taken into a room with a group of other couples and you're given a talk by the Medical Director of BH. He walks you though a presentation, giving you an overview of how IVF works and allows you to ask any questions you might have. From what I remember (ours was in Nov 2013), he also talks about what drugs you'll be taking at each stage, side effects etc. I can't remember whether I had the consultation before or after the seminar, but during the consultation, the doctor looked at my AMH levels and told me what dosages I would need to start on.

I started my first treatment in Jan 2014 and whilst I'd got my head around what the treatment was going to entail, emotionally, it's harder to prepare for. I didn't notice any massive side effects mood-wise but all in all, it's a bit of an emotional rollercoaster. During my first treatment cycle, I was given the contraceptive pill to bring on a period, as I have irregular cycles due to PCOS. Once my period started, I had to call the clinic in order to arrange delivery of my medication. Whilst I was waiting to start the meds, I had to go down to BH for a drug teach to make sure I was comfortable with injecting myself.

I started down regging (with Buserelin on day 21) and had to do that for 2 weeks. Once the 2 weeks is up, you then move on to the stimulation phase (Gonal F). This lasts around 2 weeks, although it really depends on how you respond to the drugs. On day 6 of stimming, you go for a scan and the nurse looks at your follicles to see how they're responding. After that, you go back every 2-3 days for repeat scans. If you're not responding as well as they'd hoped, they'll increase your dosage of the Gonal F. I started on 112.5 IU, which was increased after each scan, and by the final 2 days, I was taking 300 IU, which I believe was the maximum dose. Once you have several follicles hit the 18mm mark, they'll give you instructions on how and when to take your trigger shot. Once you've triggered with the Ovitrelle, you then go in for egg collection 35-36 hours later. I didn't respond particularly well the first time and ended up triggering with 4 follicles at size.

I couldn't tell you whether the EC was painful as I was put under general anaesthetic on both occasions. I think it's generally done under local but I have a tilted cervix and one of my ovaries was difficult to get to, so they recommended a GA. Whilst you're getting ready to go to theatre, you're OH will be asked to go off and provide his 'sample'. I don't remember having any pain after EC but you may have a little bit of spotting. After EC, you'll have to stay at the clinic for 2-3 hours and during that time, they'll tell you how many eggs they managed to collect. The following day, you'll get a phone call from the embryologists to tell you how many eggs fertilised. The number/quality of the embryo's will determine how many days you have until transfer. Since I only had 3 fertilise first time around, I had to go for a 2dt. We lost one of the remaining 2 embryo's over the course of the 2 days and the third wasn't suitable for freezing- they have to be above a certain grade, so they have a good enough chance at surviving the thawing process.

In terms of testing, they ask you to wait until 15 days after EC to take the first HPT. Regardless of the result, you need to phone the clinic to tell them. If it's negative and you've started to bleed, then unfortunately, it hasn't been successful. If it's positive or if it's negative and you haven't had any bleeding, they tell you to repeat the test 7 days later. Again, regardless of outcome, you need to let them know. If it's positive, they'll arrange a viability scan, which is done around day 35 (or week 7 of pregnancy). On my first attempt, I was over the moon to get a BFP, especially since I had such a small number of eggs collected. However, when I went for my viability scan, the baby was measuring a week behind and they couldn't locate a heartbeat- I was told that I'd had a MMC. Due to risks of scarring through a D&C, the clinic advised me to await a natural miscarriage and call them back when I was ready to consider trying again. I eventually MC at 10+5 and my only way of dealing with the heartbreak was to focus on trying again.

I had my follow up consultation in the June, where I was told that I would have to wait until September to start my second round of treatment, as they like to leave a 6 month gap between fresh cycles.

Similarly to my first round of treatment, I started down regging on CD21, which was at the end of September. I was on Gonal F slightly longer second time around as they were more consistent with my dosage, upping it very slightly over the course of the stim cycle. At the time, I was getting super frustrated as it seemed to be taking so long but when I did eventually have my EC, they managed to retrieve 12 eggs. Of those 12, 10 fertilised and due to the quantity and quality, they told us they were going to go for a 5dt. We also managed to have 4 embryo's frozen. I did experience a fair bit of pain after EC second time around but I think that was due to number off eggs and follicles that I had.

Due to the experience we had first time around, the 2ww was killer but we did get another BFP, 4 days before the date that our angel would have been due. Again, waiting for the scan was torture and my DH and I were terrified of something going wrong again, but after what seemed like an eternity, they showed us a beautiful little heartbeat flickering away on the screen. After the scan, I was referred back to my local NHS trust but the nurses made me promise that I'd go back to visit once the baby is born. I've had my ups and downs with the pregnancy (all unrelated to IVF) but I'm now 17 weeks along with a baby boy :cloud9: I won't say that it's an easy ride but it's so, so worth it.

Wishing you lots and lots of luck xxx

Princess, congrats!! Thank you so much for sharing your story. I'm sorry for your loss. I hope you have a happy and healthy 9 months :hugs:

So down reg is to stop you ovulating and the next set is to make you ovulate? Lol. So if you don't need scans for down reg I could start that in April while on holiday in cd21?? I would be back in time for second set. I guess the answer is with my consultant.

Is it a needle you use? Is it same one or new for every day? Not even sure if you can fly with needles :haha:

Princess, congrats!! Thank you so much for sharing your story. I'm sorry for your loss. I hope you have a happy and healthy 9 months :hugs:

So down reg is to stop you ovulating and the next set is to make you ovulate? Lol. So if you don't need scans for down reg I could start that in April while on holiday in cd21?? I would be back in time for second set. I guess the answer is with my consultant.

Is it a needle you use? Is it same one or new for every day? Not even sure if you can fly with needles :haha:

Thank you! He's definitely a little boy as he's already causing trouble, but I'm hoping it starts to go more smoothly now I've got the first tri out of the way :thumbup:

Basically, yes. The down reg suppresses any natural cycle and the stims prepare your body for ovulation. No, you don't have any scans during down regging. Like I said, the first one is normally 6 days after you start stimming and it's normally every couple of days for 2 weeks or so.

For down regging, it's little vials of fluid with individual syringes and the Gonal F is in a pen, that you screw tiny little needle tips onto each time. You can definitely fly with the needles and the meds, so long as you have a letter of consent from the clinic. I did my first week of down regging whilst I was in Greece in Sept/Oct. I had a letter from the pharmacist at BH and I had no problems flying x

He's just giving you a taste of what's to come eh! Wait til he's a teenager ;)

When you have your scans can you choose a time of day to come in? My work is going to love me.

That's great about flying, how strange you were in the same position as me with your holiday :) thank you for your info I now feel a lot more at ease and hopefully won't have to wait until May to start treatment.

I hope your pregnancy is plain sailing now to the end. Congrats again :) xx

Ha ha, I have no doubt he'll have me wrapped around his little finger :blush:

They're normally quite good with arranging times for scans etc. I normally had mine first thing in the morning so it didn't affect work too much. From an HR perspective, companies have to be really careful with how they deal with ladies going through IVF, so I wouldn't worry too much. My HR Manager told me that as soon as you have your ET, you're legally considered a pregnant woman and they therefore have to treat you as if you are, until you tell them otherwise. Do they know you're going through treatment?

I hope you don't have to wait until May, I know how frustrating it is when you just want to get started. Hope you have a fab holiday! Mine definitely helped me to de-stress, so I was as relaxed as I could've been when the stressful part started x

Hi! I'm currently stimming, so I'm not sure what the retrieval etc will be like but generally it is not too bad. Everyone worries about the needles but they are fine. Just take care of yourself and eat well, drink s**tloads of water and get plenty of rest.

This obviously isn't your clinic but it might be handy for an overview/timeline :) all in all it takes about 6 weeks so your timeline might fit okay.

https://www.genesisivf.co.uk/treatment-info/ivf-icsi/treatment-procedures/

Hi Pickletilly I had a short protocol so my experience has been a little bit different. I was however TERRIFIED of needles when we started this process and now I feel like a pin cushion :haha:

It's really not difficult to inject and you can, if you have the time and a very accommodating job, go into the hospital every day and they will do it for you - or at least they will in Leeds.

My hubby has to inject me in the bum every night - not the most romantic thing in the world but hey :blush: There's no dignity in IVF.

I am still injecting now despite being in the two week wait as I have a very thin womb lining. I have to take two injections and 3 tablets every evening right up to test day.

I'm not sure that I'm any expert on IVF even after going through it so the best advice I can give you is to ask lots of questions and try to remain as calm as you can.

Also be very careful who you tell. People's reactions can be very 'interesting' to say the least and once they know they expect daily updates - in our case, literally!

Best of luck.

Amoreamy, thanks for your advice and link :) good luck.

Prgirl, so what's the difference between short and long protocol? Is there any way I can start on cd1 instead of cd21?

I've kept it strictly between me and my other half. However I think today we are telling my parents as I have appointments now and have to leave work, and my mum works in the same place and would be very curious. Best to tell her. Apart from that, what you said is exactly why we aren't telling people! I also don't want the pity. Or people to know if it didn't work.

Anyway, good luck!!

:dust:

Hi Pickletilly, long and short protocol depend on the challenges that you have. It is as expected, long protocol takes quite a lot longer - I believe two weeks but other ladies may tell me different.

You have to take a different set of drugs.
Sorry, I'm not all that clued up on long protocol, short however is quite a simple process - you go into your clinic on CD1 and start to take Menopur.

You're then scanned during the first week and the process is to stimulate your adds. You take a further drug to stop you from ovulating and then when your follies get to a size you are asked to go in for a collection.

You take a drug to make you ovulate before the appointment (around 24 hours before) and then once it's all over the hospital will then tell you how many eggs they have retrieved.

Your follies are then mixed with your mr's donation and you wait to find out how many have fertilized and then when your transfer will be and if it is likely to be 3 day or 5 day.

On that date you go in and have the transfer - takes about 5 mins - and then you wait - and it sends you crazy. :haha:

You then start to take other drugs - or some people do - two injections and tablets. And continue to wait!

That's about all I know.

I've only done this once so have probably missed bits but it should give you an idea.

Good luck :flower:

Hi,

I am new here, I have been referred to bourn hall very recently and was wondering if you know how long I would have to wait until I am seen by a consultant or invited to seminar?

I know this page has been out of action for a while, however I am unable to start a new thread due to being new.

If you are able to help I would be very grateful!

I have got some articles about what to expect from IVF, hope this will be helpful.

Expert Chat: The Truth Behind The Secret Infertility I
What to Expect During IVF
In vitro fertilization (IVF)

Hi Lilly Pud,

It doesn't take long:) For us it was approximately 2 weeks from the day of referral to the seminar. But I've heard that they have only one seminar a month so it all depends on time as well. You might get appointment straight away or you will have to wait a couple of weeks.

Thanks for the info stefdan

Tiinaa are you just starting with bourn hall yourself? Are you getting NHS treatment, or private? I only ask as I think it may affect the time you have to wait.

Hi Lilly Pud,

Bourn Hall don't have a waiting list, even for NHS funded treatment.

We had our initial consultation around 3/4 weeks after being referred. My treatment was funded and I don't feel like my treatment was any different to that of someone paying privately.

I would most definitely recommend BH. My little BH miracle was born on Sunday :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->