• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

new to temping... need some insight :)

MrsH628

Reaction score
Hi all!
I'm brand new to this, but I needed an oulet for all my TTC stresses without driving my friends and family nuts!! A little background on me and then hopefully you'll be able to provide a little insight. About 3 years ago I began losing weight, not a ton, but my exercise increased and my diet decreased, resulting in not having a period for an extended amount of time.
Fast forward to 5 months ago, I gained weight back, decreased exercise, and lo and behold AF came back, long cycles about 40 days. Everythings great, right? Wrong. H and I decided we wanted TTC beginning in December, I started using the Clearblue digital OPK to see if I was ovulating considering my history. I had 4 days of high fertility and on the 5th (CD21) the smiley, great news! I figured I was for sure back to normal O. but, no luck that month as AF came on CD40. However, this cycle I began temping and tracking CM and I'm not so sure I'm ovulating normally. I'm on CD 23 with NO biphasic pattern and FF has not indicated O. I had a few days of wet CM and one day of seemed to be EWCM.
So, I was hoping you could offer some insight, is my body gearing up to O and then not? Anyone else have longer cycles like this? I appreciate any feedback :)

I've temped on & off for five years. I love it - cheap & cheerful way to know if/when you ov!

I have a few questions -
1) is your thermometer digital & to 2 decimal places?
2) how are you recording temps? Paper? Or an app like fertility friend?
3) do you take your temp at exactly the same time everyday?
4) do you temp as soon as you wake up? No talking, getting up etc?

Either something isn't quite right with your temp taking (mine was way less accurate when I first started) or you aren't ov-ing when you think you are. A usual luteal phase is around 14 days so on your 40 day cycle you may not have ov'd until day 26. It might be worth buying some internet cheapie ov tests & then double checking with the more expensive cb ones. And don't stop the cheapies until you see your temp rise for three days to confirm ov. It is possible to hear up to ov, not do it, and then ov a few days later.

Good luck hun :flow:

Thanks for the reply! I use a Nexcare brand basal thermometer, it only calculates to the tenths place. At first I was temping when I first woke up so times varied, but the last 2 1/2 weeks or so I've been checking at the same time, minimal movements, no water, etc. I use Fertility Friend, but only just started so I don't think it has had a chance to assess my pattern? I def plan on buying some cheaper OPKs so I can see the gradual increase of LH. I definitely like temping so far, its just frustrating not seeibg what I think I "should" be!

It's probably worth investing in a thermometer that measures 2 decimal places just to be sure. Mine was really cheap from ebay & has lasted for years!!

Sounds like you're doing everything right hun. Don't give up - long cycles suck but when you have a few under your belt you'll hopefully have a better idea of your own patterns.

Good luck!!!

I have definitely had long cycles, too! There are months where I O on cd21, and other times where it is cd29. So annoying and frustrating, so it's always a guessing game. P

You're probably temping correctly, just keep it up. It may take awhile to recognize patterns, but it is SO helpful for knowing what is going on. I find that temping plus using opks is a great combination!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"