New to the board* dealing w/amenorrhea

Lmichelle14

Reaction score
Good afternoon! I'm completely new to this board and website and never posted anything like this before so you'll have to forgive me if I'm not in the right place. Anyway I'm posting because I am currently TTC and dealing with amenorrhea and have been for 1o months and I have not come across anyone that has had a similar situation and I was hoping to find someone on here that might be able to give me some advice/answers. I've been feeling pretty alone and lost in this whole thing and not sure what my next step should be. Anyway to make a long story short (I will attempt to keep this short) I was able to conceive on my own in 2011 and I have a 3.5 year old beautiful son. I had been on birth control for years before my DH and I decided to try for our son so I didn't think anything of it when my OBGYN suggested to go back on the pill when I was 4 weeks postpartum. After a couple years we wanted to ttc again so I got off the pill last march knowing that I wanted to be off the pill for a few months before we actively started trying. My period did not appear for the first couple months and I wasn't too concerned because I just had a feeling that it was going to take a while for my body to bounce back after the pill (even though when I got off the pill the first time it did) I went to go see my OB after about 4 months of my period not returning on its own. She told me it was normal prescribed me 10 pills of progesterone and sent me on my way. But nothing came of it so I went back to her and she then prescribed me the estrogen and the progesterone for 1 month. That finally worked and I did have a period but after only being on the synthetic hormones for a month nothing happened again on it's own. Back at the doctor, my OB ran lots of different blood tests and ordered a sonogram. Everything came back normal. All the blood results were great and in range where they should be for my age (I'm 29) and the sonogram was perfect. She said that most woman who had irregular cycles has PCOS or thyroid issues but she reassured me that I did not and that I might just have to wait it out and give my body some time. I found n homeopathic infertility doctor who was in my area and she suggested certain supplements and acupuncture. She ordered some more in depth blood work to show my T3, T4, vitamin D level, iron, ferritin, etc. Once again everything came back normal, some were a little low but still in range. She said that my bmi was a little low and that she wanted me to cut back on working out (something that I really enjoy but I was willing to do anything at this point) and she wanted me to add some more healthy fat in my diet and whole grains, beans, etc. So that's what I have been doing, trying to eat all the right things, only doing some light exercising like yoga and walks, taking the supplements the doctor wants me to and doing acupuncture every week/every other week all the while trying not to stress out about it all lol. Now it's been over 4 months of all the above and 10 months now off the pill and I still have yet to produce a period on my own. So I'm struggling with the next step, do I just keep up what I'm doing and let it run its course or should I go back to the OB and possibly go back on the synthetic hormones or someone suggested maybe clomid helping me. Just like I'm sure all of you on this board, I'm very much wanting and praying for a baby and I desperately want my cycle to get back on track. Like I said in the beginning I don't know anyone who has had this particular issue and even my OB told me that I had her a little "stumped" so I'm just wondering if anyone has had or knows anyone who has had a similar experience and if anything helped. Thanks very much.

Hello Lmichelle! I am in a sort of similar situation. I have been off the pill for 8.5 months. My OBGYN diagnosed me with amenorrhea after not having my period for 5 months after stopping the pill. I had one 3 day very light bleed in December which I counted as a "period" but 49 days later and I still haven't ovulated or started another bleed so I don't think it actually was my period. I also did a progesterone withdrawal challenge and I responded well, meaning I had a withdrawal bleed, but it didn't jump start my cycles. I am TTC#1 and I want to be pregnant 6 months ago! I am also petite 5'3" and weight 115lb so I may need to gain a little weight. I have a follow up appointment with my OBGYN in three weeks and I can't wait to get the ball rolling. I hope I can get some more in depth testing done. I hate being in limbo and I hate feeling like my body is not doing what it is naturally supposed to be doing! My OBGYN told me that she thinks it will take time for my body to start producing estrogen on its own. My basic blood work came back normal, thyroid normal as well.

I did a 6 visit round of acupuncture and absolutely hated it. I thought the needles hurt and sucked. One needle left me with a quarter sized bruise. I had a lot of anxiety going into my acupuncture visits, I don't think it is for me. I am currently going to chiropractic to try and get things moving. I had one visit last week and one this week. I am signed up for a fertility massage through my chiropractor as well which I am super excited about.

I feel frustrated and angry often because I just want my period so I can get this whole process moving. We are READY for a baby. I want one so bad, its all I can think about. I know it can take up to 12 cycles to conceive and I haven't even ovulated once since stopping BCP.

Anyway, feel free to private message me or you can update/post on this thread continuously. I check often and I like to give support and get support from others.

Hi LMichelle!

I'm sorry this has been happening to you!

I went off the pill about 2 years ago (I was 11 when I started it, by 14 it had completely stopped my periods, at age 18.5 I went off the pill). I, however, was diagnosed with PCOS a little prior to turning 19. "They" do say that it can take up to a year for your periods to return after coming off of birth control pill. I wouldn't be too concerned yet as I heard it is fairly common that it does take almost the full year for some women. If you feel it would bring you peace of mind though to return and get those medications I definitely recommend doing so. I'm unsure if they would give you clomid this soon though of you being off of birth control pill (they usually want you to be actively trying for 1 full year).

I hope this helped even a little bit, and my fingers are crossed for you that you figure things out soon and have a new little one!

Thank you so much 2ducks & Ursaula for your kind and supportive words, sometimes you just can't feel patient through this whole process and it can consume you. I have heard it can take a full year to be completely free of the pill before your mensus comes back but it just seems so outrageous to me. Especially since I was on the pill for almost 10 years prior to having my son and my cycle jumped right back when I got off it to try to conceive my son. I wish you both luck through your journey as well and once again I'm thankful for any advice and support.

2ducks, Im new to this, how do I pm you on here? :)

Hi girls!!!

I just thought I'd share something that worked wonders for me: Fertilitea from Fairhaven Health (google it!). If you live in the States, it's an easy find! (If you live in Canada, you can get it cheaper on iherb.com!)

Read the reviews!! It's amazing at regulating your cycle! I never had absent periods, but after my mc I'm pretty that I was no longer ovulating (I wasn't charting back then, so I can't be certain, but my cervical fluid had all dried up.), and taking that tea got me right on track: I conceived the first cycle using it!

Best of luck ladies!! xxx

Thank you so much 2ducks & Ursaula for your kind and supportive words, sometimes you just can't feel patient through this whole process and it can consume you. I have heard it can take a full year to be completely free of the pill before your mensus comes back but it just seems so outrageous to me. Especially since I was on the pill for almost 10 years prior to having my son and my cycle jumped right back when I got off it to try to conceive my son. I wish you both luck through your journey as well and once again I'm thankful for any advice and support.

2ducks, Im new to this, how do I pm you on here? :)

I think to PM me you just click on my name on one of my posts/responses and it should take you to my profile where I think you can send a message. I haven't done it either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->