Newbie - lump poss Mastitis advice needed!

Middysquidge

Two girls and a manfriend
Reaction score
Hi Girls,

I'm new here :) Had my baby last Thursday, Eva Dawn and am breast feeding! I love it and really want to carry on but need a little advice!

Have a big hard lump on the left side of my right breast, milk only came in properly yesterday! Rang midwife who said that this could indicate the start of mastitis so need to massage it when feeding! She said go on the other boob and give baby pudding on the lump boob. So have done this twice. So, my question is shall I feed normally off the lump boob or leave it for a bit and just use the normal boob? I know you're meant to swap at every feed - ohh it's so confusing, I hope someone can help!

x x

congrats on your lo! you should feed from the boob with the lump and make sure it gets emptied by your lo. there are some other threads below about blocked ducts, which have good advice. generally, heat, massage and feeding until empty help. also try not to wear a bra or tight fitting clothes as these can make it worse. when i get them, i sleep with my boob on a hot water bottle, the pressure and heat help. hope it clears for you.:hugs:

https://www.babyandbump.com/breastfeeding/236450-heading-off-blocked-duct.html

The lump sounds like a blocked duct, often happens when milk starts to come in as over supply can cause fullness and bloackages I use warm hot water bottles on boobs and then while LO feeds on the affected boob massage it. If the boob is really hard and you cant latch baby on (ive had this happen) I express and freeze the milk) Just express a little so baby can get latched on. Definitely empty the boob.

Congratulations!

Sounds like a blocked duct, hopefully you can treat it fast before it becomes mastitis. Feed from the affected breast first at every feed, making sure it is emptied thoroughly and expressing afterwards if necessary. Try to feed more often if possible. Massage the lump towards the nipple and vary the baby's position at every feed. Make sure your bra isn't pressing anywhere and causing the blockage. A hot water bottle or hot bath can help relieve any pain. Hope it clears up fast. xx

Thank you, wow speedy replies here in BF! Have fed bubs for 40 minutes off said boob and put hot flannel on before and after which seems to have done the trick along with massage! Didn't realise the boobs went up and down like a seasaw, its crazy! Thanks for the advice, hot water bottle is a good one! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->