Newbie TTC here....need help....

heavenly

40+ TTC for the 1st time
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have just introduced myself in the Intro Board. :D

I need your help.....

I am 42, OH is 32, we have just started TTC. I came off the pill 3 months ago, in preparation, but still have no regular cycle so have no clue when I am most fertile. I don't understand majority of the abbreviations in these posts so please bear with me if I put things in full, until some lovely person explains them all to me. :blush:

I started my period on 2 October and it finished yesterday, so I assume I have to wait til my next period until I can find out when I am ovulating/what my cycle is? Is it worth buying an ovulation kit or should I just wait a couple of months and see if my cycle sorts itself out? Sorry if I sound thick but this is all new to me, I am the best auntie in the world but have never read up on any of this type of stuff before. I am taking Pregnacare and OH is taking Wellman. I have my blood test on Thursday for the rubella thingy (see? I say thingy..I have no idea what I am talking about....) :rolleyes:

Errm, that's it for now. Thank you for any assistance whatsoever. :D

Well I am no expert either, but if you had your period last week you should be ovulating some time next week, but because your cycle isn't regular yet, it wouldn't hurt to use an ovulation predictor kit (opk)... sorry wasn't much help, my cycle is all over the place as well... :)

Thanks Elly.

opk - -ovulation prediction kit, that is one crossed off my list. :)

Anyone else able to explain all the abbreviations please so I can actually understand the posts when I read them. :shy:

theres a thread on ere with all the bnb lingo hun, go av a look u will get use 2 it :)
if ur buying opk tests, there fab,u can get them on here! cheap as chips and fab aswell, again its in a thread on here,u will need to get intouch with wobbles as she and a few others are the grt pp behing this site :) they will be more than happy 2 help u, evey1 has been where u are,so dont think any question is a "silly"one as weve all asked them, u can also chart, taking ur temp every morning same time, u do this on fertilityfriend.com, just put ur temps in and they will give u ur most fertilite days:) depending on ur cycle,it will take at least 2mth to get "use" to ur sel and ur cycle, i wud defo recommend u buy "taking charge of your fertility" by toni weschler, its £18 in book shops but if u really want to get it, i got mine for £13 freeinternational postage! i got it within the wk!! if u want the address just send me a message...the girls r grt on ere, sure u will fit right in and be on ere as much as the rest of use...apart from when ur :sex:sex: :):)

Thanks Honey. I have found the thread...wow...lots of reading there, with those abbreviations!

Thanks for the tips - I look forward to posting on here and I have seen so many tips already. We are not telling anyone we are TCC, because that just brings a lot of problems with people asking, then not wanting to ask after a while......so its nice that I can talk about it on here. Really helps!! :D

exactley !!! when i got a bfp (big fat pregnant) in feb...we told every1 ,all friends n family, but then had a MC (misscarrage) so we ad 2 go tell all this aswell:( so when i get my next bfp i will be waitin till 12wk at least, no 1 knows were ttc (tryin2conceive) either, just feel its the best way, otherwise u get,,, arent u pg yet? and so on !! xx

So sorry to hear about your mc, honey. Keeping everything crossed for you both for next time!! Yes, that is what we are going to do. No-one knows we are TTC and if a miracle does happen, we won't even tell close family until 12 weeks. I only have 2 sisters and 2 nephews and 1 niece...I have no parents or grandparents....so its not like there are going to be loads of people I have to keep it quiet from. Actually that has quite depressed me...lol...how tiny my family is. Let's hope I can add another member to that list.....

dont be deppressed...ive gary and his son who hes had since he was 3...so my stepson n garys mam ! thats it, thats my choice that tho, dont speak2me parents and prob wont again,i know pp say uv only one set of parents,but there not good enough4 me,ive 2 brothers n other town(only20min away) and cousins talk2them on facebook,but not an awful lot,im ok with this tho:)

u will soon get use2the site where everything is etc, theres a good buy,sell and wanted thread, think u need to av posted 50times somat like that 2sell sommat, u shud defo speak to wobbles bout the opk and hpt, there no where near shop prices!! think u get 15 for £3,.50 somat like that ! xx

So, just started TTC. First day of AF was 2 October, so wasn't sure when I would be fertile so we have been BD'ing (?) from the 12-16th? Is that right? I don't have a regular cycle at the moment, so until I get my AF next month, I won't be able to work it out properly.

Hello heavenly, I normally chart to find out when I have Ovulated but temping only tells you when you have already ovulated. If you want to get OPKs then you should get a lot because you will be testing 1-2 times a day as far as I know. Your best bet to TTC this cycle is to :sex: at least every other day until you think you might be fertile and throw in a few daily :sex: in there to cover bases. Good luck and hope your wait is very short.

Hi and welcome to the boards! You are going to love the gals here! Tons of support and never a dumb question! I came off the pill in July and its really messed with me. My first cycle was 50 days! So its really hard to predict ovulation when you have numbers like that to work with! I did buy the ovulation pee sticks - very cheap on Ebay - and very helpful.

Hello and welcome to the forum! :)

This is such an amazing place, so full of supportive ladies and sage advice.

If your cycles are irregular, your best bet is to BD (baby dance) every day or every other day through out your cycle. If your OH (other half) is known to have sperm count issues, BD only every other day and not daily. This way, you can have your bases covered.

Buy a BBT (basal body thermometer) and join FertilityFriend. That is a great website with a charting interface you can use. When you join, they will also email you a free charting course so you will understand all about it. Charting really helps you to understand your body much better.

There is also a book called "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" which is a must-read for all women, we understand so much from it that we never knew before.

Good luck!

Love,
Amy.

Thanks everyone. I have just ordered some OPKs off Ebay. How many do you get through a month by the way? Also, I assume you can't just use a HPT at any time of the month and expect it to tell you whether you are pregnant or not. Trouble is, I don't know my cycle yet but hopefully the OPKs will help with that.

Just need a bit of guidance so I don't waste them.

Hi everyone.

Could I have some advice please? Its my first month of TCC but have no idea what my cycle is.

My last AF started on 2 October and my AF started again today.

What is my cycle length and when should I take an OPK?

Thank you!

Day 1 Of Your Cycle Is The First Day Of Your Af.

And The Last Day Being The Day Before You Next Af.

Count Those Days And Ov Is Usually 14 Days Approx Before Next Af Is Due. Through This You Should Be Able To Work Out Some Of What Your Doing - But Remember Everyone Is Different So I Would Give It A Few Days Either Side And Do Plenty Of Bd'ing

hi
Welcome it sounds like you are on a 26 day cycle and not too sure about when to start testing. there is usually a leaflet inside the box explaining when to start testing.

you count the first day you AF and then contniue to count until AF the next time. AF is always day 1.

I got a Fertility journal from book shop and have writen down everything - daily temp, when have BD and CM to how I feel for 3 months before we started to try. and it really helped me as I had a perm record of everything I needed to know.

I hope that you find this helpfull.

Good luck

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back