Newbie with constantly hungry baby!

Discussion in 'Breastfeeding' started by Mirrie, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Mirrie

Mirrie Stepmum to 3 & Mummy 2Eli

Hi, my little man is four weeks old and is putting on weight (fast- 10 ounces in just the past week) so I know he is healthy and HV says he has gone through a growth spurt- he was constantly hungry and it was hard work!! But things have just got plain silly this week- espesh for the last two days he has hardly slept, only slept 2 hours in the last 18 hours and the whole time he is awake has been crying for food-

he feeds for his normal 40 mins, falls asleep on me, starts "rooting" for my nipple- wakes and crys if I dont latch him on or just starts to eat if I do-then gets angry and frustrated so I have to swap him to my other boob- then he is happy till he loses his latch...

I've tried a dummy but he wont have it- am I producing enough milk?? My MW said I have a good flow as it often shoots out every where- could it be something I've eaten- ie not enough vitamins etc?? I'm knackered and everyone keeps saying cause he is a bigboy he needs a top up of formula but really dont want to do that :shrug: confused and in pain!!

Any advice pls would be welcomed xx

2. purplepower

purplepower 1st time Mummy

Sorry you are having a rough time of it. Are you getting plenty wees and pops? This us the best indication that your LO is getting enough. Do you think he could be tired? My LO tends to nurse when tired to fall asleep.Have you tried swaddling and getting him off to sleep? I have started to read my LO in a sling through the day as this helps him fall asleep.

3. purplepower

Apologies for spelling am typing on my phone.

4. CeriB

CeriB Well-Known Member

This behaviour is quite nrmal, I'm afraid :hugs: They have a million growth spurts in the first few months and sometimes they can merge into each other and create hell! During the growth spurts, he will be feeding constanly to boost your supply - not that you don't have enough now, cos you will :thumbup: but he will be increasing it for after the spurt - comfort sucking, cluster feeding and trying to find security in a strange world! He will probably be sleeping a lot more than you think he is, just most of it will be on you rather than in a cot. He just needs mummy for a bit longer.

As his belly is still tiny, he will need to feed a lot more and his sleep will be a lot, but in short clumps. As he grows, this will be spaced out and he will start to cluster feed in the evenings, filling himself up for a night sleep. Again, this 'night' may only be 3h at a time, but he will become better at settleing after a feed and going back to sleep for another few hours.

You are doing fab!! Don't doubt yourself for one minute - stick in there, it's all so worth it!

5. Mirrie

Thankyou for the replies, I will try swaddling again as I'd kinda forgot about it! Reassuring to know its normal although its bloody hard to cope with! He is being weighed today so will see if he has grown again! x

6. Tonnilou

Tonnilou Loved up & proud Mama <3

I'm going through exactly the same with Toby, am hoping its a growth spurt or 5 and that it will calm down soon. Sending you a sleepy hug ;0

7. Mirrie

Well its deffo a growth spurt- he's put on another 10 ounces this week- thats 1lb 4oz in just two weeks- my chunky monkey! I've got some good tips about settling him from my HV and he slept for 3 hours this afternoon- I feel like a new woman! Booby power :happydance::haha:

8. purplepower

What tips did the HV give you?

9. LockandKey

LockandKey Well-Known Member

unfortunately I had your same problem with my LO and she's not even 2 weeks old. If you have a Lactation Consultant make sure you tell them every little detail and they will probably be able to find the problem and help you solve it, if there is a problem that is. And if they don't help much, it never hurts to seek a second opinion

10. Mirrie

HV said that at this age smell is all important and he probs doesnt feel safe or wants to sleep without the "smell" of me so hers tips were to use the blanket that baby is going to sleep in wraped around both of us when he feeds so when you put him down with it it will still feel like he is with you- also to put a bit of breastmilk on his bedding- allow it to dry around where his head is going to be before he goes to bed. One thats really worked for me is to let Eli have as much fresh air as poss espesh while napping- she said even to put the moses basket in the garden but cause I hav dogs I just put him next to my open patio doors- and to take him for lots of walks in the pram. We both had 3 1/2 hours kip today (no sleep last night thou!) some times nothing will work!! xx