Newborn baby poo

blinkybaby

Reaction score
I had my LO on Sunday 23rd, and he hasn't pooed much since then?

He wets a lot, but I only changed 3 dirty nappies with the browny green meconium poo on the first couple of days, and then he had one more poo on Tuesday which was changing colour, and nothing since. I am exclusively breastfeeding now, but on days 2, 3 and 4 I did top up with a tiny bit of aptamil as my nipples were so sore.

Is it OK for him not to have pooed in a while?

xxx

Its normal for a baby to not go for a few days hun.

It will be seedy like when he does. If hes not uncomfortable by it then i wouldnt worry. Speak to your mw when she comes and ask her advice. I think a few days is ok but there can be too long a time if you know what i mean x

Yeah its normal hun, some babies go a lot some dont. As above poster said if he seems fine and isnt uncomfortable then dont worry xx

Hi

It could be normal and fine for your baby but in most cases it's expected for a baby to be having at least 2 poos a day the size of a £2 coin or bigger, a very big one could count as 2 in itself but at this stage their digestive system isn't usually efficient enough to use up all the breastmilk and not produce any poo at all. Therefore no poo can be a sign that the baby is not getting enough of the fatty hindmilk, try to feed more often every 2-3 hours and allow your baby to physically pull off the breast, if they keep falling asleep wake them up and put them back on until they pull off on their own. Also offer both sides.

You also mentioned giving formula, in some babies this does make them go less frequently even if not actually constipated. I'd get your baby weighed and I'd presume they will weigh him/her over the next few days as good weight gain or at least losses of less than 10% of birthweight will let you know that your LO is getting enough. Hope this helps xx

Hi

It could be normal and fine for your baby but in most cases it's expected for a baby to be having at least 2 poos a day the size of a £2 coin or bigger, a very big one could count as 2 in itself but at this stage their digestive system isn't usually efficient enough to use up all the breastmilk and not produce any poo at all. Therefore no poo can be a sign that the baby is not getting enough of the fatty hindmilk, try to feed more often every 2-3 hours and allow your baby to physically pull off the breast, if they keep falling asleep wake them up and put them back on until they pull off on their own. Also offer both sides.

You also mentioned giving formula, in some babies this does make them go less frequently even if not actually constipated. I'd get your baby weighed and I'd presume they will weigh him/her over the next few days as good weight gain or at least losses of less than 10% of birthweight will let you know that your LO is getting enough. Hope this helps xx

i agree, perhaps baby isnt on the breast long enough to get then hindmilk - newborns are very sleepy afterall!
pop over to breastfeeding section and u can get some awesome advice.
but otherwise, a weigh in will hopefully ease your concerns

thanks girls, he does fall asleep at the breast a lot so ill try waking him up when he does that. and offer both sides. just on my way over to BF section now! xxx

How is his weight gain? My Frankie passed his mecconium but then didn't poo for 6 days. The MW said she wouldn't normally be too concerned but he had lost a great deal of weight as well and she didn't like the two things together so he was referred to the hospital (where he did an almighty poo!). I have heard of BF babies who can go up to 10 days without a poo, babies can absorb more from breast milk than formula.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"