Newborn cloth

hayley x

1AngelSon,1EarthDaughter
Reaction score
After failing with using fluff for our daughter we would really like to be successful this time for our son. I never really got the 'hang' of it before and there were several things that let us down. Just wondering if any of you pro's could help me.

I'm looking for:
.. a nappy that will hopefully contain everything (Daisy constantly leaked :( )
.. Doesnt have to be pretty, a 'boring' white will do.
.. Last time I struggled with the odour, when washing they would still come out smelling but as far as I could tell we were doing everything right :shrug:
.. I only used pocket nappies before, but didnt feel that impressed with them tbh, we want a slim nappy as we can get, am open to learning about new types (ones needing a wrap etc, have no experience with these)
.. what do you do with the nappies when you go out regarding room in the change bag? whats the best wet bag for keeping smells in.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I know I'm asking a lot :blush:

Finding the right nappy is trail and error. Have a look and see if Amy one runs a nappy insentive or scheme, there is a lady up here that will loan you several different tipes so you can see what works with out spending a fortune.

I know its trial and error, but we tried sooo many with Daisy so I was wondering if anyone could suggest anything other than a pocket nappy which is all we tried. We tried, flips which were fave but still leaked, ittis, blueberrys, tots bots pocket, weenotions, bambooty, pop n gro, mini la la's.

I'm looking at the bamboozles stretchy's atm, they look ideal - anyone have any experience with these? x

How old was your daughter when you tried them?

Did you have anybody check that you were putting the nappies on right? A quick photo posted on here can sometimes be really helpful!

You said you struggled with odour, that makes me think that your washing routine wasn't right. Too much detergent is as bad for nappies as too little. Too much clogs up the nappy, traps smells and makes the nappies less absorbent. If they smelled and lots of different types leaked, that would suggest to me that the nappies were all clogged up so couldn't work properly. You would just need to do a strip wash (there are various ways to do it, some really easy and quick) - did you ever try stripping them?

What I would definitely say is don't buy more than a couple of anything as that could be a big mistake if they're not right for your LO. When were you planning to start your new baby in cloth? Straight away or wait a bit first? If straight away, you would probably need sized newborn nappies but if you wait until 6 weeks or so, you could probably use one-size nappies.

I would suggest trying a good range of different things, whenever you start, and then decide what you want more of. So I would try something like:

1 or 2 pocket nappies (if it was your washing that was making them not work, I would definitely give them another chance)
1 or 2 all-in-ones
1 or 2 all-in-twos
1 or 2 fitted nappies with wraps
1 or 2 insert and wrap systems

If you let us know when you want to start using them, I'm sure people would be happy to suggest lists of things to try :)

I have to be honest, I never got on too well with most pockets either - my most foolproof and leak free nappy has got to be flips & they are more slimline than a lot of other nappies too. You can boost them more quite easily if LO is a heavy wetter. I use them mainly wit organic inserts but also use some stay-dry inserts boosted with bamboo.

Flips are btp so might not work so well on a newborn. Most people will probably suggest getting some newborn sized nappies for the start. You could just get a few newborn size wraps though and use them with prefolds. I only recently started using prefols and love them now, much less leaks than with pockets / AIO's

I was really really impressed with Motherease Sandys for Teddy - so impressed, I bought a bunch more and am using them with Imogen too. They're a fitted nappy, and you use them with a wrap over the top, which of course you can reuse if it's just damp. They have elasticated legs and waist with poppers in various sizes and we didn't have a single poo leak, despite the runny breastfed poop. They wash really nicely too, and if you give them a good spin, they're dry outside in a couple of hours (although I tumble mostly). The x smalls were miniscule - Teddy weighed 8lb 8oz when he was born, and we only really a got a month out of them (but I bought second hand, so they were only £20 or so). He's in small now, and I really love them still. I wouldn't say that they're thing, but they sure are easy. I see loads on ebay, so pick one up preloved maybe.

We wash in bio and use the heaviest soil setting. I dry pail, and wash every two days generally. I don't often take cloth nappies out, I almost always put them in sposies to go out, but when I do I take a big ziplock bag for dirty nappies.

My vote is mother ease.. They're not the slimmist... But I was never that bothered! On top I found totbots/mother ease rieki/weenotions were the best. I never had a leak even with explosive newborn bf poos!

If I wanted a slimmer fit (for certain trousers) I'd use itti sio but they weren't as realiable or flips.

Thanks for all the replies ladies, really appreciated and I will look into the nappies mentioned.

I intend to use them as soon as he starts doing 'normal' poo (ie finished passing meconium)

I did strip wash them when I used them on Daisy, several times as I read that may be the case for them smelling, the amount of times I rinsed them as I forgot to check for bubbles at the end of the cycle :haha:

what do you all use to wash them in? powder or liquid? we have both but always used to use (fairy) powder maybe thats where we went wrong idk?

xx

Hayley I have bought quite a selection so will let you know how I get on :thumbup: I'm happy to lend you a couple to see what you get on with before buying?

Thanks for all the replies ladies, really appreciated and I will look into the nappies mentioned.

I intend to use them as soon as he starts doing 'normal' poo (ie finished passing meconium)

I did strip wash them when I used them on Daisy, several times as I read that may be the case for them smelling, the amount of times I rinsed them as I forgot to check for bubbles at the end of the cycle :haha:

what do you all use to wash them in? powder or liquid? we have both but always used to use (fairy) powder maybe thats where we went wrong idk?

xx

ave you tried a specific nappy washing detergent, then it eliminates the need for stripping i.e Rockin green?

also soapnuts and ecoballs are good too :)

I use Rockin Green but still find a need for stripping but I just use washing soda for that.

In the early days, prefolds were our friend. DH still finds these easiest and whenever he changes DD, she wears one. The only problem is they do start to smell and I have to strip wash more frequently. She also felt really wet as the moisture stayed close to her skin. Not so nice to have a squirmy baby who would not sleep unless her nappy was changed immediately after she weed but the good news was she soon stopped going as much during that time and then rewarded herself by peeing all of that saved up pee in the morning.

My Bumgeniouses smell as fresh as the day I bought them.

I've always used liquid (tesco bio generally) with my nappies, and apart from when OH puts them on the wrong wash (too short, not enough rinses) they come out smelling lovely. I've never had to strip, but I always wash on 60 degrees. Once, after a particularly vile tummy bug, I boilwashed the nappies (not the wraps) and they came out so fluffy and lush. But it's bad for them to do it too often! I think two parters do wash better then AIOs.

My OH is good with folding nappies, and generally uses the terries, but my sister is a numpty with nappies and is fine with the poppered Sandys and the velcro wraps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->