Newborn doesn't seem satisfied?

Barefoot baby

Reaction score
Hi there, it's very early days I know, Charlie was born on Saturday at 4.26 pm so he's only 3 days old...

We are having the usual issues I'm gathering most have at the beginning, painful nipples, poor latch etc but I think we might be over the worst with that...

So now I'm feeding him when he seems hungry... Which is all the time!

How often is usual and tips on getting him to settle after a night feed? X

I tried breastfeeding my son. 3 days in the hospital, he latched on just fine, and seemed like all he wanted was to be fed, but at night the nurses would still say he was drinking ounces at a time.When we went home, the same thing, he just always seemed hungry, never satisfied.

I tried for a couple days to use a breast pump, as that was the intentions anyways. I just couldn't get more than dribbles out at a time!

I learned that some woman just don't produce enough.

This may be the case for you too, have you tried pumping? If you are getting enough, at least in a bottle you can monitor how much your LO is getting at a feed.

At 3 WEEKS old Riley was insatiable, let alone 3 days. Give it time, he'll settle down :) No need to do anything other than what you are doing, it's just a newborn thing! He's just putting in his order for the next day ;)

I tried breastfeeding my son. 3 days in the hospital, he latched on just fine, and seemed like all he wanted was to be fed, but at night the nurses would still say he was drinking ounces at a time.When we went home, the same thing, he just always seemed hungry, never satisfied.

I tried for a couple days to use a breast pump, as that was the intentions anyways. I just couldn't get more than dribbles out at a time!

I learned that some woman just don't produce enough.

This may be the case for you too, have you tried pumping? If you are getting enough, at least in a bottle you can monitor how much your LO is getting at a feed.

I'm sorry but you weren't given very good advice or support based on your reply here.

Barefoot baby, on day 3 many women haven't even had their milk come in yet and still just have colostrum (mine didn't come in until day 6) which is next to impossible to pump. The constant suckling by your baby is helping your body get it's milk supply up to where it needs to be. Just keep your baby on the breast as often as he wants with lots of skin to skin contact. It will seem like he is feeding constantly for the first few weeks, because he probably will be, and that is perfectly normal. They also cluster feed in the evenings, mine did from about 4pm-11pm every night, for the first few weeks too, which is again perfectly normal and it is their way to get enough food in them to let them go a little longer overnight (which doesn't always happen either lol). As long as baby is having enough wet diapers every day and is alert when awake (even if it's only briefly) and is gaining weight, then he is getting enough milk from you. Also, at three days old there's not a specific way to get him to settle at night. It'll be several weeks, if not longer until he settles easily for you. Some babies sleep better at night than others do, regardless of whether they are bf or ff, so don't be tempted to give formula at night thinking it will help him settle better, because that's not the case. Congrats on your new baby!

I have to agree, at only 3 days your milk may not of come in yet and baby nursing frequently is how they help bring it in. The best thing to do is have a big glass of water,snacks,movies and books and spend lots of time nursing and relaxing with your baby. It will get better and if you want to BF its completely worth it.

Pumping is not a good way to judge how much milk your baby is getting.

You are only on day 3 so your milk wont be established yet(mine was day 4/5)and baby has to suckle a lot to encourage your body to make plenty for him.
Plus you have had him warm & comfy in your tummy,hearing your heartbeat and never knowing the feeling of hunger,so of course being held in your arms,by your heart and feeding at your breast is where he will be most comfortable whilst he is so new.
Use this time as an excuse to sit around and rest after the birth :thumbup:

Hey hun, I agree with the ladies. Alot of ladies say their baby doesn't seem satisfied as he nurses all the time or they can't put baby down. Newborns like to be held alot and this does not mean he's not getting what he needs. Also he's tummy is sooo tiny, he needs to feed frequently which maybe why you feel you're feeding constantly. At 3 days (even weeks after) babies will feed very frequently. Just have snacks and drinks at the ready and enjoy the bonding. X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->