• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Newborn refuses to eat?

drudai

Reaction score
FTM, with 1 day old baby. I planned on breastfeeding, and he latched on great yesterday, even though he won't take more than the nipple, he fed fine. Then last night, I tried and he wouldn't wake up. He got grumpy, started nibbling, but then fell away from the nipple completely. By midnight and he hadn't fed at all, I got desperate and asked the nurse for formula thinking he didn't like colostrum or my nipple or anything. To my relief he ate 5-10 mL, even though the book said 30 is normal intake, but he refused anymore. I burped him, and went we both slept. I got up later, knowing it is normal for them to be hungry 3-4 hours after formula. I got him up, but he wouldn't wake up. Tried to feed, but he would spit it back up immediately and not even open his eyes or cry like he hated it. Worried anyway, I desperately tried my breast again, and he fed for maybe 15 minutes before popping off and dozing off. I tried everything, stripping him, tickling, playing with his feet, stroking his face... nothing! Just slept on.

I think he ate maybe for 10 minutes at 9:30 this morning on my breast again, completely refuses formula (possibly allergic to soy?) AND STILL REFUSES. I have tried every hour since then, now 1:50pm, and desperately stripped him down to his nappie, tickled, and he just got mad at me. Wouldn't take bottle, my nipple, or even my finger to suck on. I swaddled him back up and now he is content to sleep on. He started whimpering, and I thought YES! finally, he's hungry. Took out boob, unswaddled, and... nothing. Closed eyes, getting mad I woke him up, wouldn't even root for nipple to suck on. He has been passed out since and now I am unsure what to do. I asked pediatrician before we left about it, and he said "sometimes babies are more tired than hungry after labor. Soon he will wake up starving and it will get better."

Until then, what do I do?! I feel like I'm doing it wrong and he is starving. :cry:

Breastfeeding the first few days is the hardest thing in the world. It WILL get better. I would say you're doing the right thing by continuing to offer it to him, and I agree when he is hungry, he will let you know. If you are still in the hospital, they must be monitoring his weight, so I wouldn't worry too much. Do you have access to a bfing consultant? If so, make an appointment. I wish I had done that, as I had many similar problems when my son was first born. If it hasn't gotten any better in the next day or two, then you can call the doctor and ask them to do a weight check.

Congratulations and Good luck!

My son was the exact same way for the first three days. He latched on lovely at first, but then would not wake up to eat. I did the stripping, wet wash cloths, etc. We were still in the hospital, so I had a lot of help from the nurses. The nurses tried breast milk out of a bottle and formula and he refused all. I offered my breast every hour and eventually he gained the energy to eat. They recommended that I pumped every 3 hours in order to get my milk to come in. Once it did he took to the breast more easily. I had a pediatrician appointment 2 days after we left the hospital where they weighed him. He gained weight from discharge, so they say he is eating enough. And now he does not stop eating (8 days old)!

He decided to latch about an hour ago! Fed for 20/30 minutes on breast. I was so relieved. He also was awake so I think that's why he finally took to it.

I'm going to start pumping tonight since I'm finally home, thank you for the responses ladies. Little man is passed out again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"