Next time I am going to keep my mouth firmly shut!!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by MidnightSun, Mar 29, 2011.

1. MidnightSun

MidnightSun Well-Known Member

I *knew* I shouldn't have asked my MW about having a GTT when I saw her last week .

I am overweight, but not giganticly enormous and at booking my BMI was 29.

So I asked her if I needed a dreaded GTT and she said 'hmmm' ... looked through my notes and then said 'probably not, your BMI at booking didn't make you fit the criteria and as you are less now than at booking I am not overly concerned, but it might be an idea to do one anyway.

Balls!

Please tell me it's not as horrendous as everyone says? I have very deep, thin veins and there's only one Phlebotomist at the hospital that can draw my blood, so really do not want to be put though anything horrendous as getting my blood normally is bad enough!

2. Lynsay

Lynsay Mummy to Jessica

I had one and I'm petrified of needles and I can honest say...it wasnt that bad.

It is the Ante-natal nurse that draws blood, but I mentioned about my veins always dropping once they got the needle out fo the packet (which is why I'm so scared of having it done!) and she used a tiny baby needle.

The GTT itself wasn't bad either, just a thick citrus drink and I had no after effects and my results came back fine.

Hope all goes well x

3. MidnightSun

Yes they have to use the same with me, a butterfly needle I think it's called. My Mum is a District Nurse and is fab at taking blood, but even she can't get mine with a butterfly, that's how bad they are lol.

I was told it's the normal Phlebotomy ladies that do it? As I was hoping my usual lady would be able to do it for me.

Glad it wasn't a huge ordeal for you hun, we have to go through enough as it is, don't we!

4. Lauki

Lauki Mummy and newly pregnant!

I literally just came back from mine. The worst thing for me was sitting in the waiting room for 2 hours ! I couldn't say anything about the blood taking though as I've never had any problems with it because my veins are really visible and easy to put needles in ;).

The drink isn't very tasty, but it's nothing that horrible. I have no idea who takes the blood, they were all just nurses at the bloodtaking department, but perhaps if you bring it up you can get an appointment with the lady who normally does it for you?

Hope all goes well!

5. Lynsay

Lynsay Mummy to Jessica

Hope the Phlebotomist does it for you, I guess every hospital is different. Fingers crossed it goes smoothly. xx

6. MidnightSun

Glad yours was okay .... I now have vein envy lol

I am okay with the drink as I used to be a dental nurse in a hospital and if I started getting hungry before lunch I would make one up and down it :blush:

I think I will take a book with me! The lady I normally see is there in the mornings and I usually ask to see her when I get there, I am booked in for next Monday at 9 so fingers crossed she's there, otherwise I am buggered lol x

7. bethsbooboo

bethsbooboo Well-Known Member

I didn't think it was bad at all and its definately worth having, I wasn't offered a GTT as my BMI wasn't over the level they check and I don't have a history of diabetes in my immediate family. As a result I spent a week in hospital when I was 33 weeks on a drip as my sugars were so out of control, I'e been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, my baby is huge, I am huge and sooo uncomfortable and have to be induced in a week when i'm 37 weeks, then my baby will have to go to special care to have its sugar levels monitored.
    I wish I had of been checked earlier so that it could have been controlled better. Good luck, i'm sure you'll be fine, the needle they used on me was just the usual blood test one, the hardest bit was trying to down a bottle of lucozade in 10 mins in a packed waiting room and trying not to burp! take a book to pass the time as well! x