NHS First GP Appointment?

Charmed86

Reaction score
Can anyone give me an idea of what to expect when I see my GP next week? Will he ask me to take another test while I'm there? Will he ask for blood tests? Will he give me any info on what to expect, things to avoid etc?

We are normally told not to make a gp appointment and just to be referred to the midwife. They don't do anything at a gp appointment other than ask you if you're happy, healthy eating, folic acid that's it. They don't even confirm it so it's a bit of a waste of time.
Midwife appointment is much more in depth bloods, history Etc

Have you already made your appointment? If not I would just ask your Drs receptionist and ask what their procedure is. They'll probably just refer you straight to midwife x

We are normally told not to make a gp appointment and just to be referred to the midwife. They don't do anything at a gp appointment other than ask you if you're happy, healthy eating, folic acid that's it. They don't even confirm it so it's a bit of a waste of time.

Have you already made your appointment? If not I would just ask your Drs receptionist and ask what their procedure is. They'll probably just refer you straight to midwife x

They have, I'm booked for next Tuesday. I called & just said that I'd got a BFP & what do I need to do now? She said that I'd need to see the GP. :wacko: How long do you have to wait until you can see a midwife?

I know this sounds really silly, but will it be logged on my records or anything? I have a dentist appointment coming up & I should tell them really, but I don't want them to think I'm lying :haha:

When I phoned this week and told the receptionist I was pregnant I was told to just book straight in with midwife. This makes perfect sense as with DD the docs was a complete waste of both mine and his time, as all he did was take a couple of details and refer me to the midwife. I'm not sure if it might be dependent on which county you're in though if the policy is to go straight to midwife.

They have, I'm booked for next Tuesday. I called & just said that I'd got a BFP & what do I need to do now? She said that I'd need to see the GP. :wacko: How long do you have to wait until you can see a midwife?

I know this sounds really silly, but will it be logged on my records or anything? I have a dentist appointment coming up & I should tell them really, but I don't want them to think I'm lying :haha:

You'll get a card for free dental care btw :thumbup:

I agree with pp who said ring and check. I went to my gp on my first pregnancy and he literally said congratulations and booked me in with the midwife. That was it. Such a waste of time. Booking in appointment with your midwife is normally where you get all your information, vitamins, get to ask questions etc. Most surgeries just book you straight in with the midwife and skip seeing a gp altogether unless you are high risk or are having issues with the pregnancy. Maybe just ring and see if that's who they suggest you see first? Good luck!

When I phoned this week and told the receptionist I was pregnant I was told to just book straight in with midwife. This makes perfect sense as with DD the docs was a complete waste of both mine and his time, as all he did was take a couple of details and refer me to the midwife. I'm not sure if it might be dependent on which county you're in though if the policy is to go straight to midwife.

My Mum has been completely confused by the process! She keeps insisting that when she got pregnant, she saw the GP, who did a urine test & a blood test before referring to a midwife! I keep telling her it's changed a lot since then!

Will they go off my LMP or can I convince the GP that I ovulated a lot later than normal? (which I did). My LMP puts me at 8wks!

If you tell them you know when you ovulated they will go by that date. I have long cycles too.

Definitely best to go straight to MW, GP won't take bloods etc x

Thank you all, I might call on Monday just to double check they do actually need to see me. Is the midwife appointment straight away or will I need to wait a few weeks to see someone? I find it so weird that they don't do anything to confirm a pregnancy! I guess it must be a funding issue?

With DD I had an early mc the month before I conceived, and they did listen to me as my dates would have been way out if they were by date of mc. I was very confident on the date we had conceived, and this was backed up at my 12 week scan.

Thank you all, I might call on Monday just to double check they do actually need to see me. Is the midwife appointment straight away or will I need to wait a few weeks to see someone? I find it so weird that they don't do anything to confirm a pregnancy! I guess it must be a funding issue?

Judging by another thread it seems most midwives ask for it to be 8 weeks to book you in, however, I was told by my GP receptionist to book into the next available appointment when I'll be 6+3 x

With my surgery booking in with midwife is between 8-10 weeks. It seems so long to wait and they didn't even confirm pregnancy then. I'd had two scans so knew I was pregnant but seemed madness to me.

With DD I had an early mc the month before I conceived, and they did listen to me as my dates would have been way out if they were by date of mc. I was very confident on the date we had conceived, and this was backed up at my 12 week scan.

Sounds like we've had a similar experience :( I had a chemical pregnancy last cycle, managed to get to 4wks+1. I'm pretty sure I ovulated on Jan 27, FF backs this up, so I'm happy to accept that.. Maybe a day or so difference? But I wouldn't have thought so. I'm glad the listen, I've heard some Drs don't take temping etc seriously so was worried he wouldn't believe me x

Sounds like we've had a similar experience :( I had a chemical pregnancy last cycle, managed to get to 4wks+1. I'm pretty sure I ovulated on Jan 27, FF backs this up, so I'm happy to accept that.. Maybe a day or so difference? But I wouldn't have thought so. I'm glad the listen, I've heard some Drs don't take temping etc seriously so was worried he wouldn't believe me x

Sorry to hear of your early mc. If it's any comfort my pregnancy with DD went without a hitch :hugs:

Sorry to hear of your early mc. If it's any comfort my pregnancy with DD went without a hitch :hugs:

It really is a comfort, thank you :hugs: I've been so worried since getting my BFP, especially as it's so early! I guess I was kind of hoping the GP might do tests to confirm it for me! I'll have to wait to see the midwife! Please tell me they do a test or something? x

You normally see midwife between 9-12 weeks. First time I saw them at 12 weeks and this time saw them at 11. Usually you get ultrasound dates posted to you before your mw appointment. You're pretty much left to your own devices in first tri which can be a bit scary xx

I've got my booking in app with the mw next week at 5+4. Then she'll refer me for a scan after she's seen me.

Nope, no one does a test. Unless you went to the gp and asked for one I suppose

I doubt anyone will think you are making it up. I booked direct with the mw and they gave me an appointment for 8-weeks, then she just asked if is had a positive test she didn't check or anything. She took blood and urine for other tests but there's no confirmation until your 12week scan unless you end up with an earlier scan for problems (like bleeding) ...I've had two otherwise I'd still be doubting there was really a baby in there!

Gp only needs to see you if you are on regular medication. They dont need to see you otherwise. You speak to receptionists and tell them you are pregnant and they contact the midwives. Normally 8-10 weeks where I live. I am on regular meds and needed to alter a few so I had to see my GP but he didnt need to do anymore tests... he saw my 15dpo test and said congratulations...lets alter some pills here..and on your way out book in for the midwife.. when I done that they knew of my losses so they said the midwives will be in touch sooner.. they rang last week and I have an appointment on Valentines Day.. I will be 6 weeks 6 days.

My consultant told me last yr when I get a BFP to start taking 75mg Aspirin as I had a history of losses... I see her on the 26th feb. I also have my 1st scan Monday 9th (2 days) with the EPAU...but that is also booked because of 7 losses back to back.

The GP never bothers with urine sample and all they do here is refer you to the midwife. To be honest, our local hospital maternity unit accepts self-referrals via an online form so you don´t really need a GP appointment at all strictly speaking.

At 10 weeks there is a booking-in appointment with a midwife where she takes a lot of medical history/details and some blood and urine samples. You should allow about an hour for this appointment depending on how complex your medical stuff is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->