NICU survival bags...need ideas.

nkbapbt

Double Preemie Momma
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

As my NICU gift drive has just come to a happy (and sad because its over and was so rewarding) end. I would like to keep doing things for the families of babies in the NICU. So I thought maybe a NICU "survival" bag would be a good idea.

I was thinking of putting things like a one time use camera, notebook w/pen, menus from the areas around the NICU, maps of the area (for out of towners), a book list, kleenex (is that a bad idea?), hand sanitizer, a list of where you can buy preemie items (I would make a preemie and full term bag) such as clothing and proper carseats, and lists of hotels/shopping/airports/transportation (maybe bus passes if I could pull it off).

And I am just wondering what else I could put in them? Or if you think any of my ideas so far are wrong or not suitable?

Thanks so much.

Merry Christmas ladies and babies! :hugs:

That is such a fantastic idea! Im racking my brains trying to think of other ideas, you seem to have it covered!

HAND CREAM!!!! my hands were so so so so sore after all the washing when you go in and out of the ward!!!!!!

My LO wasn't in NICU, but she was in NSU (neonatal surgical unit) which I guess is similar. I agree that handcream would be great, hand sanitizer, list of local shops, local takeaway menus (those who deliver), list nearest bank points, notebook and pen, phone card (if you can wrangle that), a list of local restaurants (because I really needed time every now and then to relax when my LO was in hospital), puzzle books, mints, a toothbrush each, small tube of toothpaste and face cloth.

There are so many things that could be done to make the stays of LO's in hospital so much easier for the parents - it really is a very hard time :hugs:

A list of the NNICU "rules" Things like who can visit and when. Which of those visitors is allowed to touch or hold the baby. When are the quiet times and shift changes. This could also include a "FAQ" And a card with the Unit's phone number.

You could also do a map of the unit, and include things like locations of toilets, coffee / vending machines or water dispensers etc.

And of course a card with the web address for bnb!:thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->