Night-weaning off boob - using Daddy hugs

colsy

Mummy to 2 li'l pudd'ns
Reaction score
Baby boy is 7 and a half months. Fully breastfed. In a cot, but in our room.

He goes to bed beautifully, and generally naps well during the day. But we still are getting up with him anything between three and five times a night :dohh:

We've started trying to night-wean him a bit, maybe so he's down to one or two times a night. We don't want to use CC or CIO.

Instead, we've set a cut-off time of 2 and a half hours. If he wakes before that after the previous feed, Daddy will go to him instead of me, so he can't smell the milk. Daddy then settles him in his cot (if he can!), and then we carry on like that throughout the night.

The problem is half the time Daddy can't settle him, so he just ends up crying in his cot (with Daddy holding his hand and cuddling him) for half an hour until we hit the magical 2 and a half hours, at which point I then feed him.

Is this going to work, or are we simply teaching him that if he shouts long enough he'll get milk?

Any success stories from girls who've used a similar technique?

Im sorry, I don't know but wanted to say it sounds like a good idea! My LO wakes up a lot aswell and yet he used to sttn but over the past month sometimes he can be up to feed every hour and at the moment i don't have the will power to try anything but I think what you are doing sounds great, must be hard for your DH as it can seem like a loosing battle but perhaps your LO will become more receptive to being settled by Daddy as he gets more used to it over time. My LO is not good with a bottle but i have heard that if you start to offer water occasionally in the night instead then they start to not bother waking up for it as they realise the milk bar isn't open!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"