• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Nightmare boss!

kaylynn040485

Mummy to two girls
Reaction score
Well im 16 weeks pregnant and told my boss quite early on and he seemed fine to start with but thing have changed!!

Ive been classed as high risk because i bled a few times early on so have had more appointments than normal, so 2 weeks ago i got an app card through for an app today which i gave my boss straight away. The app was for 11:40 but because i stay a fair bit from work it would mean i wouldnt go in in the morning, go to app then come in after which he seemed fine about! Until yesterday!

About 2pm yesterday my supervisor came and told me my boss had said i was to come to work,then leave for my app at 10:30 because he had googled my jouney an thats how long i would need!!!!! This was crazy because my bus alone take about an hour and a half and because i was told last week i have siatica and am in constant pain with it i was planning on getting another bus from town to hospital (i would normally wlk which takes me about 20 mins), which i had told my boss about so was defo gonni miss my app going by his time.

My supervisor told me it was nothing personal and he was just in a bad mood (like thats my problem). So by the end of day yesterday i was totally worked up and told my supervisor that my boss was basically leaving me two options, to miss app or phone in sick and lose a days wages! So i said unless something changes and i got a phonecall last night i wouldnt be in.

Heard nothing and this morning i had to phone in sick, im terrified im gonni lose my job because of this but felt i had no other option and since phoning my supervisor has phoned my house and mobile 5 times and sent me a txt saying that she spoke to my boss last night and he said i could go whenever i needed to ( dont know why she couldnt phone me last night) and that he knew it was wrong to put me in this position!

So was wondering if anyone knew where i stand with this, im feeling a bit better since i got the txt as they r basically admitting it was them but im just really worried i could lose my job!

Sorry its soooooo long:rofl::rofl:

Your boss clearly doesn't understand the laws pertaining to pregnancy hun!! They cannot refuse you the appointment time off, or reasonable time for travel. And you need to speak to HR and confirm that today will not go down as a sick day, since you advised them that you would not be in before the appointment.

Hope everything goes well today!!

Pixie

omg what is it with these flipping ignorant bosses rarrrr.:hissy:

i'm going through a similar thing with my boss but it has got worse and has gone way out of hand, i have a thread going further down the posts if you wanna read the full story hun

firstly he's out of order, there are huge laws protecting pregnant women and they have been updated recently as well.

you are entitled plenty of time to get to appts and thats that regardless of what mood they're in and what they THINK.

you are protected against any negativety and undue stress at work speak to your hr thats your first step. log everything down dates and times if poss it could come andy later on, this is a tip someone gave me..

my boss started off like this then got obsessed with everything regarding my work, pregnancy, and then ultimately how long i spent in the loo each time i went. yup they get that petty.
i kicked off when he was getting people out of the office to see if they could hear me in there and what i was doing. yup they are now witnesses against him.
then yesterday walked in my office and he's took the door off its hinges and hid it in a cupboard, luckily hr were down from our head office and were there to sort it. i was that upset they sent me home till monday wile they sort it out.

so my advice once you speak to hr is to write down exactly what has happened and how its made you feel, email it to hr and let them sort it out. if you arent happy then you have the right to go down a tribunal because he basically is making life difficult for you, and that constructed dismissal...
xx:hugs:

I cannot believe the amount of asshole bosses there are towards pregnant women these days. Get into a union and tell them everything he does write it down and they can do something about it. If you do get sacked it will be unfair dismissal on the grounds of discrimination because your pregnant and you will get something out of it. they must not be allowed to do this to anyone else in future, teach him a leason.

omg why is there so many arsehole bosses out there?! sounds like your boss has realised there mistake though hun, see how it goes when you go in, im sure it will be fine xxx

Bloody hell - what is it with bosses these days?!! Sounds like another arse taking his personal mood out on the easy target - the pregnant woman.:hissy:

You've done the exact right thing hun by taking the day off. And yes, they should now pay you for it. Make sure you keep the text from your supervisor.:hugs:

Oh - and as an afterthought, my company aren't allowed to contact me when I am off sick, not even to ask when I am coming back. I'm not sure if that's law or if it's my company policy. May be worth looking into.:hugs:

I can not believe that Bosses are so untrained and unprofessional. Like others have said you are now one of the most protected people in the work force and within reason "untouchable". The law requires that you are allowed time off for appointments and you did the right thing letting them know up front the date and time. This also means you have a right to take the time to get to the appointment. As you are not being paid for sick time - you should make sure that you keep really good records of dates and times and contest your wages if they doc your money for the time off.

I think what upsets me most - is that at this time, you have to fight with your employer when in actual fact that is not going to be good for you or LO. I know from personnel experience how upsetting it can be.

I had similar crap with my employer - until I sat them down and explain my legal rights to them. Shine a light you would think that they would know this kind of basic employment law.

I hope that things get better for you at work but more importantly that things go well at your appointment.

I'll climb down off my high horse now - carefully of course!!

You're allowed reasonable paid time off for appointments! You should be the one calling the shots not him. If he tries to tell you what time you have to leave etc again then just tell him no. How ridiculous of him to allow you ten mins to get there. It's certainly not something you could lose your job over, I'm sure of it. x

Thanks for all your advice, dont know how these bosses get away with it!

Only problem i have is my office is really small, only 4 members of staff so we dont really have a hr as such and my boss is insured to the max when it comes to staff! He has treated staff memebers terribly and sacked then for no real reason in the past and got away with it so im not sure who to take this matter up with!

Does anyone know if there is anyone independent u can get info from?

Have a read at this.

Discrimination and pregnancy

It's unlawful sex discrimination for employers to treat women less favourably because of their pregnancy or because they take maternity leave. Such treatment includes things like:

* trying to cut your hours without your permission
* suddenly giving you poor staff reports
* giving you unsuitable work
* making you redundant because of your pregnancy (you might still be made redundant for other reasons)
* treating days off sick due to pregnancy as a disciplinary issue

Your employer can't change your terms and conditions of employment while you're pregnant without your agreement. If they do, they'll be in breach of contract.

https://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Parents/Moneyandworkentitlements/WorkAndFamilies/DG_10026556

read on down the page and you will see that and info on what to do.

:happydance:Oh thanks thats great

All them things he is doing lead up to contructive dismissal where you have to leave as its to hard for you. this is what he wants as he thinks he can get away with it then as you left on your own accord but this is not the case. you need to biuld up what he is doing on you and joine the general workers trade union (its a few quid a week) and tell them. they will devore him! if you do leave or your sacked after this you have a case. takes about a year to get a tribunal date after that but you are offered either a settlement before you drag him through the mill or the court will offer you a settle ment of the money you lost. They dont pay for pain and suffering anymore just what you lost. You can even go to your own solicator on this one also but trade unuin ones are free apart from that £2 you pay a week.

I seen the trade union slaughter my own boss to the point he wouldnt speak to them and ran away! he was disgraced for what he done one me and they do the talking for you. So you dont have to say anything. They are there on your side not his.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"