Nintendo ds consoles? Types

twinklestar25

Reaction score
Hi thinking of getting my ds 3 1/2 a ds for crimbo but I don't no much about them, I'm currently looking online and see there's a few different ones, it seems the dsi has a camera where as the original ds dosnt but then there's the dsi XL too plus the 3ds an is there a 2ds aswell? Anyone have any idea the differences an which may be best for a nearly 4 yr old? Thanks

We have a relatives old dsi (it has wifi and a camera) it was given to us so we didn't have to decide. TBH for a younger LO i'd go with a second hand dsi you can pick them up for about £40 (I think)
My thoughts -
The dsi xl in my opinion is bigger and heavier maybe?
The 3ds isn't suitable for under 7's (the 3d feature on it)
The 2ds look good but it's only just outand it's expensive.

They are very addictive and I have to seriously limit my nearly 4 year old on it tbh I wish we'd never been given it he asks to go on it ALL the time lol

I would get a 2DS for a child (I work in a game shop and have handled them all), namely for these reasons:

- No hinges, so therefore no hinge breakages which is a common complaint with other types
- Same features as the 3DS such as augmented reality features, internet browser etc. It's just without the 3D (which isn't suitable for under 7s anyway)
- Rather cheap price, only £109.99 new.
- Nice chunky buttons and surprisingly compact for small hands.
- Playable with 3DS games (I would say this should be the biggest factor in your decision). 3DS games have superior graphics and whilst not announced yet, with the 2DS I can see regular DS games to eventually be weaned off the market. So IMO, your DS/DS lites will soon be outdated, and I would say the 2DS is worth the extra money for longevity value.
- Bigger, harder to lose stylus.

If you go into your local GAME, ask the staff and they should have one out and ready to let you try :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"